Motorcycle hitch carrier recommendations...

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Have seen a few posts regarding what people are using but am wondering what you all recommend for a hitch carrier...looking for robust over lightweight...will be used for a crf450x...
Thanks
Matt

Smksignals

Explorer
100% the Versa-Haul. I had the model below. Carried my WR450F no problem. All steel, no aluminum. The ramp works awesome. Good tie down points. It also has a square bracket that tightens up against the receiver to keep the hauler itself from wobbling back and forth in the hitch.

link - http://www.versahaul.com/vh55ro.php

tmac

Adventurer
Another option. I have not used one but have seen one in action and looks to work well. No ramp to push the bike up and you don't load the suspension using tie downs. There are clamps that attach to the footpegs
to keep the bike on the carrier.

http://ultimatemxhauler.com/index.php

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
100% the Versa-Haul. I had the model below. Carried my WR450F no problem. All steel, no aluminum. The ramp works awesome. Good tie down points. It also has a square bracket that tightens up against the receiver to keep the hauler itself from wobbling back and forth in the hitch.

I've borrowed that model from a friend a few times. Definitely a good piece of gear, but no featherweight.

Another option. I have not used one but have seen one in action and looks to work well. No ramp to push the bike up and you don't load the suspension using tie downs. There are clamps that attach to the footpegs
to keep the bike on the carrier.

http://ultimatemxhauler.com/index.php

I have a friend who has had one of those fail driving down the freeway. Nothing like dropping your bike at 65mph - sideways. I'm sure failures are not that common, but it's something to think about.

FAW3

Adventurer

I have same unit. Highly recommended; well made, sturdy, nice ramp and tiedowns. Also handy as the receiver goes all the way through...you can for instance have bike on the hitch, and tow a light trailer too. Used it for KLR and a Honda CT90. Photos over on the thread "PICS of your motorcycle on your vehicle"

JRhetts

Adventurer
Have seen a few posts regarding what people are using but am wondering what you all recommend for a hitch carrier...Matt

I'm not sure what your bike weighs. I have used a MX Hauler for over a year with my Tw200 [285#] on all sorts of roads - freeway to FS trails. Works very well, very secure and convenient.

Be interesting to know what failed on the unit mentioned above - would be easy to fail to replace the security pin and then blame it on the unit. ??

zidaro

Explorer
I have an ultimatemxhauler.
the thing is bomber and there is no way you could drop a bike off it unless you didnt tie it down. It has pins that lock the jack during transport, again, no fail point. I love it and of all the different carriers i tried out, this was the sturdiest and most well thought out piece made, IMO. Not to mention the best part- not having to balance your bike up a ramp against your vehicle after a sweet ride!

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
We carried a KTM supermotard all the way down to Panama with a cheapo unit from Ebay. No problem at all. So I would assume that the better ones mentioned above would all be great options!

1113421282_ba8br-L.jpg

Flagster

Expedition Leader
My bike weighs about 270lbs but when the desert tank is full add on another 25...bags, etc...I am guessing around 310 on the heavy side...

Thanks for all the recommendations... Looking at some local options so I don't have to mess with shipping...

robert

Expedition Leader
When I bought my DRZ it came with a steel hitch carrier; it's bloody heavy but so far I haven't had any issues with the pig on the back. No idea where the PO got it from but itd be easy enough to copy. Here's a couple of pictures off it; the black thing is the ramp which attaches to the right side for loading/unloading; it stores on the rack with the black screw knob in the middle (there are tabs attached to the tray that it hooks onto also). There is a clamp which tightens it to the hitch receiver although when I eventually get a custom rear bumper I'll add some provision for extra stabilization.

IMG_0025.jpgPC210707.JPG

I'm looking at these designs and thinking my truck shop can fab something simple and similar up no problem. My question is has anyone used a hitch carrier off road? Any of them significantly affect the departure angle or create other unforeseen issues?

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Cycle Country Wedge Loc

This is the carrier I decided on...It was available local so I could try and see the construction before buying. It was around 250.00...middle of the road from what I priced online.
I like that there are no welds...just quality hardware to bolt together...Very nice construction and good hardware...packaged well.

The wedge loc thing is garbage so I deleted and added two turn buckles from eyebolts that I added to replace a couple stock through bolts. These turnbuckles are attached to the hitch safety chain eyes...very stable. You can see the turnbuckles underneath in the pictures...

Drove to N. UT this past weekend and very little motion even offroad. After the extra hardware...straps...etc...I am in it for around 400.00...way cheaper and easier than a trailer...

Matt

Attachments

• cycle-country-motorcycle-ca (1).jpg
    cycle-country-motorcycle-ca (1).jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC_3814new.jpg
    DSC_3814new.jpg
    551.9 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC_3816new.jpg
    DSC_3816new.jpg
    525.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

robert

Expedition Leader
Obviously they reduce your departure angle but the biggest issue for me is that I can't access the back of my truck with the bike on the back. Windoors would be extremely helpful here. On the Tacoma, my DRZ sticks out slightly on either side making it wider than the truck, no big deal, you just have to be aware of it. I have a set of magnetic tow lights that I stick on my carrier since the bike effectively blocks the truck's tail lights too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles