Tiger Build up

ed604

Adventurer
update

Well my one more trip turned into 4 more trips and I have to admit that I am having a hard time not taking the tiger out on any free week end!

One good thing about my slacking on the work part is that my various trips have pointed out more areas of needed repair.

I have a short somewhere causing my cabin battery fuse to melt on the rear 30amp fuse. the fresh water tank has a leak but only if it is totally full, it doesn't leak when 3/4 full.
the laminate counter and the little storage cabinet to the right of the fridge sucked up water (like that when i bought it) and has swelled the particle board. the grey water tank leaks by the drain pipe. The side sliding window has a broken latch, but the most annoying thing that I have to fix is the seal around the cabin side access door. When on a dusty gravel road it leaks dust into the camper. That will not do, especially on my northern leg up to the Yukon and Alaska!

I have a fast approaching date of Aug 20th looming over me.

So I am going to pick up a rv storage tent that I can work on the tiger under ( it rains a lot here)

I have been trying really hard to find some good used parts that I need for the tiger like a good condition winch and bumper and maybe a locker for the Dana 70. I have been like a hawk on craigslist Vancouver, Seattle and a bunch of others.. but nothing yet.

I hope to have some work done on the tiger soon!....... but it just stopped raining after a couple weeks and maybe time for one more........LOL!

take care

Ed

ed604

Adventurer
Hello all I thought that I would post up a quick shot of a used bumper that I found. It is for a 2008 super duty but I think with some minor mods it may fit nicely for me. the pic is just the bumper in front so i could size it up.

Bumper shot.jpgbumper angle.jpg

This particular one comes with a warn 15000 lb winch and the lights. I like the look of it but the mounts don't fit and the clearance to the trans cooler is not great.

I am going to take my bumper off and go back and have a test fitting to really see in more detail.

Ed

ed604

Adventurer
Extra fuel tank

Hello all, I would like to mount a second fuel tank where the spare tire used to be. I am wondering what the best method to do that might be? I was thinking of a dual draw, or a small transfer pump, it would be nice to have a switch and draw each tank down separately.

Not too sure of all that is involved has anyone done this?

Thanks,
Ed

Anton2k3

Adventurer
I'd say have a transfer pump from new tank to original on a switch. That way your can 'refill' original tank when it's getting low, and won't have to run additional suction and return/leak off lines to new tank. I've not done it, but plan to in the future.

ed604

Adventurer
Yes, I was thinking that this would be the most simple to achieve. I guess it is essentially an on board Jerry can. I could use a switch that had a light on it, so I didn't forget and run the pump dry.

I think I saw that there was a seperate fuel gage that you can use, that will tell you when the aux tank is empty too.

Hmmm still thinking.....

thanks for the input Anton
Ed

Anton2k3

Adventurer
That's a good point klahanie. I think i'd be inclined to fit a level switch to the original tank, connected to transfer pump circuit which would kill the pump 12v feed in event of tank overfill. It would be relatively simple to install and cheap. In terms of redundancy, carrying spare pumps is always a good idea, but not always affordable. Maybe a tap (with a lock on it) on the new tank, and a small 5l jerry can would suffice to transfer the fuel in the event of pump failure/emergency....a cheapo option for tight people like me!

ed604

Adventurer
I had a great score yesterday, I have been designing my back bumper and I wanted a swing out tire carrier. I found the perfect one, it is from the Hummer H2 it comes complete with recovery points as well. I think it will be perfect for my plans. I am hoping to get the bumper done in the next couple of days and will share pics!

It is nice to make your Aquantince David and thanks for the input. I'm going to take a trip to princess auto to see if I can find anything.

Ed

ed604

Adventurer
some progress

Hello all,

I thought that I would give some updates to the work that I am doing on the tiger. Here are some shots of the leveling springs that I have installed some before and after pics. These are 2 levels thicker gauge of steel than stock.

because I have mounted a heavy bumper and a big old winch I thought some anti sag springs were in order. of course that being done my existing shocks weren't cutting it so I had to pick up some fox shocks originally was going to go bilstien but I was offered the fox for a decent price and pulled the trigger.

Before and after the springs.

Abbotsford-20120825-00269.jpgBurnaby-20120825-00270.jpg
Ed

ed604

Adventurer
long overdue rear bumper shots

Ok ok so I know that I have been talking about the sad sorry excuse of a rear bumper on this tiger for some time now so, I thought that I would show some of the "in progress" shots. I am not done yet, but hope to be done very shortly. This bumper is a must for my trip because I don't think I could stand packing around my spare inside the tiger.

What I did was to take the spare carrier off of an H2, and modify it for my purposes. I am really quite happy with the carrier. it has a greaseable fiting and a cable lock. It seems to be quite strong.
Here is a shot with one of the ideas I had for my back up lights. I think that I will end up mounting them(the lights) on the outside wings of the bumper as I think it will cast more light while backing up.

My friend and I ( mostly my friend) made the bumper out of 3/16th steel and bent it on a huge press brake. We then mig welded the parts of and when I am done I will be proud to show everyone as I am quite pleased with how it looks.

here is the mock up shot with the carrier, the steel ring represents a 36 inch diameter.

Coquitlam-20120827-00277.jpg

Ed

ed604

Adventurer
shocks make huge difference

I have been driving the truck the last week with the new springs installed but I kept the old shocks in. The tech told me that they looked good and I was trying to save some money.

What a mistake that was, the ride was bouncy and the stock shocks did little if any dampening. I hated the ride.

So as I said I picked up the new fox 2.0 shocks and had them installed today. All I can say is wow what a difference these shocks are amazing! all the bounce is gone and the ride feels firm and solid the bumps just get sucked up.

I am very happy with the ride from these shocks out of the box. I'll snap some pics of the installation in the morning.

Ed

ed604

Adventurer
Here is that shot of the fox shock I think it looks cool. I picked up a few rattle cans of rubber paint for the rocker panels. we got the bumper welded up but no paint yet so tomorrow should be the big day! I hope. I picked up some 7/8th D shackles that were on sale and got the rest of the electrical parts that I needed for the backup lights. I know it would be easier to run the lights from the stock backup lights but I would prefer it to be on a switch.

I have been mounting rocker switches into the upper console where the compass is, kinda gives it airplane cockpit look ( maybe a little stretch) anyways I will include a shot of my new to me canoe loaded and ready for Alaska/Yukon I have been delayed so much now I am really looking forward to getting away.

Attachments

• IMG-20120831-00282.jpg
    IMG-20120831-00282.jpg
    536.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG-20120831-00283.jpg
    IMG-20120831-00283.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 18

ExpoMike

Looking great!!! Do you have any pics of what you did to mount that bumper? I really don't like the ARB that is made specifically for the Dodge, as they just put that chrome hoop on the front. I like the full 'roo bar treatment like yours has.

ed604

Adventurer
More Progress

Hello Mike, nice to hear from you. This bumper is from a 08 ford superduty. The ford and the doge are almost the same width wise and the grill line is also almost the same. I had to cut one of the bars that goes across the front of the bumper as it was blocking the headlights but it has worked out quite nicely. I am picky so I will admit that I still want to tinker on the fit, there are some holes that I don't like. But I have to draw the line somewhere and get going on the trip.

here is a shot of the mount that I made up. Nothing pretty, but should do the job.

IMG-20120904-00285.jpg

thanks for the complement Hiking,

Today and the past weekend were great. I finally got the bumper mounted up and in place. I love it! with the exception of maybe a jerrycan holder, jack or some small mounts I am done. I think that the proportions are right on. I gave it some extra bends and I also made it so that it returns into the back of the tiger. I didn't like the hole where the old one was. I am so happy with the H2 spare carrier. It is exactly what I needed and came with some really nice recovery points to boot.

IMG-20120903-00284.jpg

I ran all the wires for the switches and the lines for transfer pump and the rear back up lights. The tiger used to have a silver accent that was part of the two tone paint from Dodge, I didn't like how the body of the tiger was white and the cab of the truck was silver so I panted the whole thing black with rihno liner. I like it better.

I cut the old roof rack off and got a new one from Yakima which is lighter and stonger. I had to reposition the bars to catch the canoe so I can load it by myself. I am happy with it I was a little bugged that they didn't have the pipe ends in stock but I'll do it when I get back.

Slowly getting there,

Ed

ed604

Adventurer
some bumper shots

Burnaby-20120904-00292.jpgBurnaby-20120904-00288.jpgHere are a couple shots of the bumper

Attachments

• Burnaby-20120904-00289.jpg
    Burnaby-20120904-00289.jpg
    524 KB · Views: 10

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles