'05 Frontier and '05 Xterra

What is the commonality between the two? How much of the two vehicles are interchangeable?

Wife and I have some big ideas that are still in the brainstorm stage. I was thinking for a 2nd vehicle it would be great to have parts commonalities between the two.

Are *any* major parts interchangeable? CV-joints, drivelines, water pumps, etc?

Would be nice to have a truck and SUV together on an expedition and only have to stock spare parts for one vehicle, rather than spare parts for two, if you get my meaning.

Scott Brady

Founder
CoastalDefender said:
Would be nice to have a truck and SUV together on an expedition and only have to stock spare parts for one vehicle, rather than spare parts for two, if you get my meaning.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I like where you are going.

That is the reason why you see so many white Tacomas on our trips. We can all work-on/share components.

jingram

Adventurer
Technically it depends on the trim level of the vehicle. Both use the 4.0L VQ Series engine which is phenomenal and as such, nearly all engine parts can be shared between the PU and the X. Same should hold true for the transmission choices be it auto or manual. Where it gets you is diffs. Different trim levels use different rear ends. I'm not sure if the front diff is the same across the board or not and don't have time to research it. Ask around on XOC or thenewx.org

Rgds,
Jack

david despain

Adventurer
CoastalDefender said:
Ah HA!

They are both the VQ40 engine.

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Models/2005/Xterra/Specifications.htm

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Models/2005/Frontier/Specifications.htm

A little research helps a lot.:)

As far as the rear ends go, are they all interchangeable? My Fronty is an SE, would it be worth my while to look out for a Nismo rear end? And assumably, the swap would be super easy (about zero fab).

Or would it be cheaper to just change the internals?

i dont believe the two are interchangeable at all. if i recall correctly
they are 2 completely different axles. and the stuff (comptuer et al.)to activate the locker is not in your truck. of course free advice is worth what you paid for it.

dennisuello

Adventurer
Aside from the rear axle (manual SEs and all NISMOs have D44 axle), rear suspension (SUA vs. SOA) and rear driveshaft (Frontier has longer wheelbase), the rest of the drivetrain is the same between two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94