Any experience with Bestop Supertop for trucks?

SilverBullet

Explorer
We are trying to figure out a way to have shade for the dog in the bed of the truck for our June ride to Moab. A topper is an option, but not the best for us I don't think.

Does anyone have any experience with the Bestop Supertop for trucks? I would be thinking about traveling with the windows off, like a bikini top for the bed.

911regular

Adventurer
As long as you keep it under 50,,,I tried it and hit 65 and it looked and felt,,and sounded!! like it was gonna rip off the mounts and fly away. Scared the poop out of my dog. That was on a full size pickup. Now I keep him back there with only the rear window/flap open

Devin W

Observer
I think they also make screen windows which would allow the airflow but would keep them from flapping/deforming. I've considered those for my truck for the summer time.

SilverBullet

Explorer
I will have to look. There is one other brand, Softopper (I think), which has no windows, but gets higher reviews. Any info on those?

911regular

Adventurer
I think they also make screen windows which would allow the airflow but would keep them from flapping/deforming. I've considered those for my truck for the summer time.

I couldnt find the cost of these,,you happen to know the price? BTW your truck is sick,,any new updates/mods?

Cole

Expedition Leader
I had the bestop version. Just like a soft too for a jeep. Will do highway fine if installed right. Nice to be able to fold it down if needed, but not as compact as it could be.

They don't seem to fit all the way out to the edge of some beds, or all the way to the top, which make them look a bit goofy at times. Think the soft topper version looks better.

I'd check your local craigslist for a regular topper too. I have seen several very nice ones for very very cheap. MUCH MUCH easier to access than a soft version when ey of have to unzip the rear window.

SilverBullet

Explorer
I appreciate it. I have been watching CL, but the newer truck beds taper just a bit and I am finding between the fit and painting to match, I am at the cost for a new one. We have until June to save and decide, so I will just keep looking.

Cole

Expedition Leader
There are some great apps for iPhone and Andorid that will search craigslist for you and notify you when they find what you want.

I've seeen nice towers from $1,500 down to $50....just get it out of my yard stuff. I got lucky and found a kid that bought a truck with one and didn't want it. It's been very nice to put wet dogs in.

SilverBullet

Explorer
Yup, I have the app and search state wide continuously. We tried 2 so far and they dont fit. Found one that did, but his cost plus reprint was over new cost. Dogs is why we want it, and security in the bed for multiple reasons.

Ericwc

I have the softtopper.com one on my f350 long bed, while they say you can drive with the sides up I have never tried it. While it works great, does not get too hot in the summer and keeps the rain snow out in the winter, it kills your mpg by ~3 which makes it very hard to make it from LA to Boulder with only one fuel stop.

Eric

fatrat

SE Expedition Society
I had a Bestop Supertop on my old Tacoma & hardly ever had the side or back windows installed. I drive like a bat out of hell with no doors on the truck & couldn't notice the top. I did have it bolted to the bed instead of using the clamps. The top fit real tight almost to the point it felt like it should rip. Plus I added a strap right above the tailgate to hold the two rear corners tights when rear window was removed but it looked like the strap came from the Supertop factory. The strap made a huge improvement. I'll see if I can find a pic.

Inline6

Adventurer
I have had a can-back.com top on my dodge for quite some time. No issues with flapping sides up or down.

I originally bought it for my 99 dodge, then moved it over to the 04 dodge. I still use the the same frame but had a new canvas top made for it in 05. It has a fairly rigid frame that will "support" 400 or more pounds.

Looks like this
IMG_2860.jpg

The company has changed hands a few times since I have purchased it and look to be having some production issues. But mine has worked very well over the many years.

Looked like this first
99dodge.jpg

Might be another option for ya

Devin W

Observer
I couldnt find the cost of these,,you happen to know the price? BTW your truck is sick,,any new updates/mods?

Check the bottom of this page: http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/subpages/bestop-truck-supertop.htm
It looks like you can get the mesh windows for about $175. I'll probably do this soon.

At the time I bought I think I was able to get the Supertop with tinted windows for about $150 less than the Softopper along with free shipping, so that made my decision easier. Overall, I'm reasonably happy with it. I really like how easy it is to put up, take down, or entirely remove. It all takes just a matter of minutes. There are more details, opinions and pics on a thread I started a little while ago on some of the stuff I did to my truck.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/74069-Belly-dragging-no-more-2003-Silverado-1500HD-Crew-Cab-4X4-Quadrasteer?highlight=quadrasteer

Thanks for the props, 911 - the only thing I've done lately is a Blackbear tune to correct the speedo and optimize performance and economy as much as possible with the bigger tires. I also put in a CAI at the same time. Next up will probably be the fiberglass front fenders and beefed up steering, but I've got to take care of taxes first 'cuz I owe big this year!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles