Ruger Trailers Denver

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Hey guys ! New to the forum and just found this thread. I have the first generation trailer and have been using it for months now as Steves' test mule. I love it. I've taken the trailer on all types of terrain, some pretty rough trails, hit a tree and dropped it off 4 ft boulders. This thing is over built...as usual pics don't do it justice. I have driven up mountain passes to every trail and feel very comfortable towing it back down without trailer brakes. Any questions let me know, you cant beat the price and quality. I'll post a pic when I figure out how.

:wavey:

Mike

Your trailer has a different body style than current production which is more like the old GI trailers but you did say it was first generation. I prefer the current look.

I have looked at his website and find no weight figures. What does your trailer weigh?

Driving on a steep slippery surface with a trailer behind you can cause a dangerous condition without brakes on the trailer. When you apply the brakes on the tow rig the trailer tends to keep rolling and can jackknife. Admittedly this trailer is light enough that is very unlikely to happen. Then there is the need for brakes tied in to a breakaway system in case the trailer gets loose. Required in many states, though often not on light trailers. I'd just prefer to have brakes on any trailer.

Apparently you have close ties with Steve the builder. Can you get him on this forum so we can address questions directly to him? I think it would help his business.

Ace

GSPup

Your trailer has a different body style than current production which is more like the old GI trailers but you did say it was first generation. I prefer the current look.

I have looked at his website and find no weight figures. What does your trailer weigh?

Driving on a steep slippery surface with a trailer behind you can cause a dangerous condition without brakes on the trailer. When you apply the brakes on the tow rig the trailer tends to keep rolling and can jackknife. Admittedly this trailer is light enough that is very unlikely to happen. Then there is the need for brakes tied in to a breakaway system in case the trailer gets loose. Required in many states, though often not on light trailers. I'd just prefer to have brakes on any trailer.

Apparently you have close ties with Steve the builder. Can you get him on this forum so we can address questions directly to him? I think it would help his business.

Ace

I have gotten to know him pretty well over the last few months. I am actually going to his shop today so I'll ask him about the trailer brakes and weight, I'd say 400-500 lbs. I've told him about all the forums but he is so busy right now.

Also I am admittedly new to pulling trailers so it sounds like brakes would be a great idea, better safe than sorry.

RugerTrailer

The Trailer Guy
I would like to introduce myself here on this thread. I was told by GSPup that there was a thread on this forum about the company I work for Ruger Trailer, I am not Steve but I work directly with him, together we can answer any questions you have. Please keep in mind I am new to these forums. I'm not here to advertise or sell trailers. I want to connect with like-minded fellows who share my interests.

Ruger

Septu

Explorer
Ruger, question for you. Why so short? The bed is 62" (or 5.1'). Do you make longer ones (closer to a 6' bed/box)?

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Ruger,

Good to see you on here. Please go back thru the thread and you will find some questions.

Mine were what is the weight and do you offer brakes?

Ace

RugerTrailer

The Trailer Guy
Ruger, question for you. Why so short? The bed is 62" (or 5.1'). Do you make longer ones (closer to a 6' bed/box)?

Ruger,

Good to see you on here. Please go back thru the thread and you will find some questions.

Ace

Hey guys. I'll answer those questions soon. I am excited to be on this forum. I know some forums require vendors to pay $ so I need to settle that before I jump into this thread.

alia176

Explorer
I didn't see any shocks in the suspension and the leaf springs are captivated at each end, so how's she bouncing on the trail?

Thanks.

D

Deleted member 13060

I didn't see any shocks in the suspension and the leaf springs are captivated at each end, so how's she bouncing on the trail?

Thanks.

The rear end of the spring has a shackle to allow movement. I would assume it works as well as can be expected for having short spring....

RugerTrailer

The Trailer Guy
Funny, but folks were saying the same thing when Sierra trailers entered the market: "get a welder and build it yourself, too much, etc". How is your welder going to form that sheet metal box, lid, tailgate, etc? Have you looked at the price of steel lately?

His price of $3500 is a steal now and it will only go up.

Ace

The price will stay low, that I can promise. We have a manufacturing process second to none sourced locally to keep prices low.

Did you get a weight from the builder? I have not seen that on his website.

Ace

Weight will vary depending on tire size, wheel type ect. Next time I drive by a scale with mine (35's on alum wheels), I'll get an exact weight for you.

We will make a longer bed for anyone who wants one. We could do a six foot bed easily. But for us the length is great. There are longer trailers, some we think are too long and too complicated.

We wanted all purpose and 5' of storage isn't really lacking for the average weekend warrior which most of us are. Many of the trails we use for testing are steep, rocky and tight so a 'shorter' trailer with a good departure angle was a no brainer. We camp simple like we design the trailer, no bling except where necessary.

Thanks.

Bouncing hasn't been an issue, we offer shocks to anyone who prefers them. Everyone in this community has their preferences and we will cater to them at bottom dollar prices. The trailer pulls great on the pavement and the trail. I kept a faster pace than most on the switchbacks up the trail this weekend pulling the Ruger test mule with my 2 door jeep. Many rigs politely pulled over to let me pass them. :smiley_drive:

Note: All the trailers are now SOA. The test mule was SUA but we wanted more ground clearance.

The rear end of the spring has a shackle to allow movement. I would assume it works as well as can be expected for having short spring....

Exactly.

For all purpose the leaf spring is a great choice. Simple, durable and performs in any terrain superbly. Steve has built all types of trailers and had a great reputation, he is 'new' to off road trailers but he is a veteran trailer designer and builder.

RugerTrailer

The Trailer Guy
Ruger,

Ace

I'll get an exact weight next time I get the chance with my personal trailer.

As far as brakes, we can bolt them right up to the axles we use and will do hand brakes if the customer prefers. I personally don't run brakes on my Ruger Trailer. On the other hand I don't think Steve would pull a trailer with out brakes. Like all things it's personal preference. Maybe I'm just young and dumb...

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Shane, thanks for the video. I wished I'd taken time to look the trailer over closely while you had it in Ouray. Watching the underside view while towing I'd say it might be over sprung but then I'd guess it was not loaded. I was hoping I might see this trailer at All-4-Fun because it was so close to Denver this year but no.

Happy to note more and more off-road trailers coming on the market. It's good to have choices.

Ace

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior