Paper for iPad

haven

Expedition Leader
Paper is a new sketching/drawing/note-taking app for the iPad. Paper will appeal to those among us who find right-brain thinking the natural way, and who find the world of spreadsheets and outlines too confining. Paper is available through the iTunes store. http://itunes.apple.com/app/paper-by-fiftythree/id506003812

The initial download is free, and includes a fountain-pen tool. Other tools (watercolor brush, pencil, ballpoint and so on) are available as in-app upgrades that cost a few dollars each.

No word about using Paper on the new iPad with Retina display. The examples all show the iPad 2.

Review http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/29/2909537/paper-drawing-ipad-app-fiftythree-brains-behind-courier

reece146

Automotive Artist
There seems to be lots of whining and complaining about the brushes being treated like add-on plug-ins that are purchased separately. Sounds like a sensible way to build an extensible program.

The rewind/undo feature is über slick.

HOOLIGAN

The 4x4 Podcast
Just downloaded it after seeing it on Engadget today. They said it is set up for the new Retina display. Haven't played with it yet though.

reece146

Automotive Artist
Been playing with it... very nice, easy to use, etc. This may replace the little hard bound sketch books that I've been using over the years. I now have a reason to get a stylus.

I like this software better than Sketchbook Pro... more fluid, less "techie" if that makes sense?

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
A slightly cheaper and similar app (which has been out for awhile longer than Paper) is called Penultimate. We use it in our architectural office. It takes the napkin sketch into a much more usable format!

reece146

Automotive Artist
I like how Penultimate allows you to send a sketch book as a PDF via email. I refuse to use third party "cloud" storage for anything so this feature is a big deal to me. Paper sends individual pages as an image file which is kinda of cumbersome depending on what you are doing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles