JK 4-door to 2-door long wheelbase conversion.....

forsakenfuture

Explorer
I went from a LJ to a JK unlimited. One of the features I do like is being able to use the back doors to access stuff in the back.

Ursa Minor

Rear Half Doors

...rear factory 4-door half-doors could be used instead of a fill plate?

139443-md.jpg

Definitely -was looking into this for a customer. Mopar rear doors only via Quadratec are $1149 retail, probably cheaper if you have a go-to dealer but not free. Stock hardware/handles for clean install, and with an insert or extension on the hard top (camper top in our case) you can then secure sand ladders externally and still open lower portion of the door for access to gear under a flat floor insert. Suggest getting the power lock solenoid & parts as can't unlock externally and hard to reach inside lock button if loaded up inside. - Cheers, John

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I had a first gen 4runner and even with the soft top I put on, it sucked getting to camp gear that was loaded at the front. You had to either remove everything in the rear, climb in to the front, get what you wanted/needed, climb back out, re-load everything, etc. Some of it you could get to by climbing through the passenger seat access, but that wasn't fun either.

I think once you reach a certain body length, the access becomes a problem. I would venture that the LJ is just about the limit of that extra length vs. accessability. Obviously, with the top removed that helps, but with a top on I think it would be a pain.

Jack

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
While I can understand the access issue, my dodge has an 8 foot bed and a hard shell with the only access being through the tailgate area, and I don't find it much of an issue.

I'm thinking something like this could help?

RCH_6068_1.jpg

Once of the main points of this design for me is that I want to be able to camp INSIDE the camper without having to move lots of stuff around. I can understand other people leaning, or coming from a different direction.....

I tend to just pack the items that need to come in and out often close to the door.....

I'm basically looking for a vehicle that is about 3/4 the size of my Dodge truck but provides the same function. I really like having a hard sided area to sleep ( for 2 ) without the need to unpack, move, or convert anything. I think a 'bed' could be constructed in the back of a 4-door JK just above the wheel tubs that extended forward to the back of the rear seats. For a little extra room I think the front seats could be flipped forward and a small shelf extended or flipped forward. A foam mattress could be kept in place with all the bedding items secured with a few small elastic straps.

What I would REALLY like to see is a system where you could have more of a 'camper' inside a hard shell top....small sink, stove, etc. I think that might be pressing the JK for storage space? I tend to revert back to just having something VERY simple......just a place to sleep inside with very minimal setup time.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Sounds like a lot of effort and money for a purely cosmetic gain.

The first one would be difficult, but the conversion itself if you had the right parts would take like an hour or so.....bolt in the new rear 'doors' and bolt on the new top.

I don't think its purely cosmetic. The form and function of the chassis could be greatly improved. Access to the rear area could be improved beyond the factory rear doors. The weight could be brought down with the right construction materials. Problems with the sealing of the factory front top sections could be improved. The shape of the roof could be altered to allow more headroom or interior volume, but the shape could be optimized to provide good clearance. The roof could be made to integrate a higher roof load. The new top could be better insulated for hot and cold. The top construction could be beefed up for a longer off-road service life.

It doesn't have to just be cosmetic. If Jeep offered the '3-door' style J8 body I wouldn't have to think about it :)

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
While its not really my style.......

jeep_j8_chrysler_jgms_light_wheeled_tactical_military_army_vehicle_line_drawing_blueprint_001.jpg

A top with more height in the rear section could be used to create more storage volume, headroom, etc.

Clutch

<---Pass
I'm basically looking for a vehicle that is about 3/4 the size of my Dodge truck but provides the same function.

Sounds like a 1st generation Tundra....regular cab 8' bed with a topper.

Or a current generation Tacoma...regular cab or extra cab with a topper...(perhaps with an access walkthrough cut in for the cab/bed)

Or an ICON FJ43....aqualu builds the bodies..they do Jeeps as well.

http://www.aqualu.com/

Not suggesting buying an ICON...but build your own version...as essentially what they do...more or less a bunch off the shelf parts they assemble...

10AC-05-22934.jpg

28932d1233630452-new-fj-40-getattachment2.jpg

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Dang it, stop filling my head with more ideas ;)

One reason I am looking at the JK is aftermarket support. I would LOVE to build something like a FJ43.....you know, something simple like one with a Duramax, 4l80, atlas, and portal axles.....just saying.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94