JK 4-door to 2-door long wheelbase conversion.....

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Yup, started a thread on that at one time.....

81cj-8-21.jpg

CJ8 body with the rear axle moved back.....highline, 37s, etc. I think it would be nice to be able to use the factory or aftermarket CJ8 tops.

Edit: I am trying to get AWAY from building a complete vehicle from the ground up by using a 4-door JK as a base.

Clutch

<---Pass
Edit: I am trying to get AWAY from building a complete vehicle from the ground up by using a 4-door JK as a base.

Simple, weld the doors shut...a little bondo, paint...

...then 'glass over the window in the topper, reshape the window openings with different side window or maybe install a windoor...done!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Dang it, stop being all logical.

I don't mind building a few things. I'm more hopping that someone will just build this idea and then I can go buy one...

Clutch

<---Pass
Dang it, stop being all logical.

I don't mind building a few things. I'm more hopping that someone will just build this idea and then I can go buy one...

LOL.

What is the measurement of a JK 4D from the back of the front seats to the tailgate?

I'll betcha it is less than 6' or darn near.

Which sounds like to me what you are looking for is a 1/2 ton pickup truck 6.5' bed and topper...

...so it is pretty much already built.

I did the very same thing with my 85 4Runner...having access to the front from the back isn't all that it is cracked up to be. Almost need to be a contortionist to get to and fro...

Last edited:

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
What is the measurement of a JK 4D from the back of the front seats to the tailgate?

A while back I was having very similar dreams to Metcalf and someone on jeepforum was nice enough to provide the following:

Went out and got some numbers for you. Hope this helps in your decision!

66" from the inside wall of the tailgate to the rear of the front drivers seat (seat fully to the rear)
42" interior height of hardtop to floor at rear cargo area
59" cargo area width from inside edge of "bedrail to bedrail"
61" interior hardtop width from window to window
43" cargo area width between rear fenders
36.5" cargo area width at factory subwoofer
47" width of factory rollbar at rear cargo area
36" height of factory rollbar from cargo floor.

Edit: These measurements taken on an '08 JK Unlimited X w/ hardtop and all factory panels, carpets, seats, etc in place.

Which means my plans involve using a fold-n-tumble front passenger seat from a 2-door and having some kind of extra "shelf" that folds up to get maximum internal bed length.

-Dan

Clutch

<---Pass
I know you said you don't like Flip Pacs because of wind...can always close the top in those situations...

Everything is pretty much already built for you and you don't have to reinvent the wheel...any brand 1/2 ton truck...6.5' bed...flip pac (basically a dormobile)...throw on long travel suspension, it will clear 37's...hit the trail.

And when it is closed up it looks like a stealthy work truck...

http://www.off-roadweb.com/features/1109or_chevy_silverado_1500_plan_b/index.html

1109or-06+chevy-silverado-1500-plan-b+camper.jpg

1109or-13+chevy-silverado-1500-plan-b+side-angle.jpg

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
A while back I was having very similar dreams to Metcalf and someone on jeepforum was nice enough to provide the following:

Which means my plans involve using a fold-n-tumble front passenger seat from a 2-door and having some kind of extra "shelf" that folds up to get maximum internal bed length.

-Dan

Thanks for the info, Dan!

Septu

Explorer
I don't think its purely cosmetic. The form and function of the chassis could be greatly improved. Access to the rear area could be improved beyond the factory rear doors. The weight could be brought down with the right construction materials. Problems with the sealing of the factory front top sections could be improved. The shape of the roof could be altered to allow more headroom or interior volume, but the shape could be optimized to provide good clearance. The roof could be made to integrate a higher roof load. The new top could be better insulated for hot and cold. The top construction could be beefed up for a longer off-road service life.

None of the things you listed in there requires losing the rear doors. I'd love for there to be an option to have a higher roof line. I also love the fact that I have a 4 dr SUV that I can wheel with, and can still be a somewhat practical DD, and when I want/need more room, either fold down the seats, or just remove them.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
LOL.

I'll betcha it is less than 6' or darn near.

Which sounds like to me what you are looking for is a 1/2 ton pickup truck 6.5' bed and topper...

...so it is pretty much already built.

I did the very same thing with my 85 4Runner...having access to the front from the back isn't all that it is cracked up to be. Almost need to be a contortionist to get to and fro...

A half ton pickup even with short bed is too large. Rear overhang and overall body width become a factor. Maybe a long bed tacoma? I just wheeled moab with a friend that used a 4-door tacoma, older gen. The wheelbase wasn't bad. Overall width wasn't bad. The rear overhang past the rear bumper is the big issue.

I do agree that you would probably have to fold the seats forward on a 4-door JK and have a slightly extended sleeping platform to make it work right.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
None of the things you listed in there requires losing the rear doors. I'd love for there to be an option to have a higher roof line. I also love the fact that I have a 4 dr SUV that I can wheel with, and can still be a somewhat practical DD, and when I want/need more room, either fold down the seats, or just remove them.

For me. I don't want or need the rear doors. They are heavy and take up interior space with the door thickness for the roll down window and such.

I'm not saying that no-body needs them, but I don't want them. I think having the a large window on the passenger side and a large storage box on the drivers side would be 'better' than windows. I do like the lower 'door' access to storage idea....

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I know you said you don't like Flip Pacs because of wind...can always close the top in those situations...

Everything is pretty much already built for you and you don't have to reinvent the wheel...any brand 1/2 ton truck...6.5' bed...flip pac (basically a dormobile)...throw on long travel suspension, it will clear 37's...hit the trail.

And when it is closed up it looks like a stealthy work truck...

http://www.off-roadweb.com/features/1109or_chevy_silverado_1500_plan_b/index.html

View attachment 94724

View attachment 94727

I already have one of those.....

towrig1.jpg

The only really big difference is that mine has 39" tires, Cummins, one ton running gear, np205, a longbed :) Spare tire is inside standing up ahead the drivers side in front of the wheel well.

I LOVE this concept and it works fantastic for everything buy technical 4-wheeling. It's just too big. I would need to take about 1' out of the middle and bob the bed about 18" or so. The hood is also the size of a football field and very hard to drive technical terrain with.

haven

Expedition Leader
The bed of the Wrangler Unlimited JK8 conversion kit ($5500) measures 50 x 44 inches. Is that too short for your needs? If not, it's probably the place to start.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
The bed of the Wrangler Unlimited JK8 conversion kit ($5500) measures 50 x 44 inches. Is that too short for your needs? If not, it's probably the place to start.

They waste a lot of space with the top giving short bed dimensions. This was posted a page back....

66" from the inside wall of the tailgate to the rear of the front drivers seat (seat fully to the rear)
42" interior height of hardtop to floor at rear cargo area
59" cargo area width from inside edge of "bedrail to bedrail"
61" interior hardtop width from window to window
43" cargo area width between rear fenders
36.5" cargo area width at factory subwoofer
47" width of factory rollbar at rear cargo area
36" height of factory rollbar from cargo floor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior