Full-Size Pick Ups, Builds, Ideas, and Trips.

SGTTOM

New Explorer
Thank you very much, I plan on being out there. I would like to join one of the group runs one time.

SGTTOM

New Explorer
So now my attention is set toward better sleeping arrangments. We tried the bed of the truck the first night, didn't work with the pup. The next night we slept in the cab, the dog slept better which meant we slept better, but not so comfortablely. Yes we could have set up our ground tent, but I really enjoyed having a camp that was quick to set up and break down. So I'm hoping for a LONG term goal to do a light wight pop up camper, or even a flippac. For shorter term I'm still leaning toward a RTT. We are going on one or two trips in the next couple months then I'll be busy until January. During that time I hope to save the money for a RTT or something that serves the same purpose. If there are any cool tents or campers I'm not aware of or creative solutions please post them up. Like I said my goal is something quick to set up, quick to sto away, and comfortable.

Also, I'm going to fisish making my recovery kit, and finding a decent ham radio to learn on.

Thanks to all who have given advise!

crismateski

American Adventurist
I just picked up a standard camper shell off of craigslist cheap, and it is in great shape. simple plywood platform, and all my gear stores under neath and I have a sleeping platform. Nothing fancy, but works great. you can also get tents that are made to fit the bed of the truck.

as far as the Ham a Yaesu ft60 handheld is great to learn with, and can be had pretty cheap.

SGTTOM

New Explorer
I just picked up a standard camper shell off of craigslist cheap, and it is in great shape. simple plywood platform, and all my gear stores under neath and I have a sleeping platform. Nothing fancy, but works great. you can also get tents that are made to fit the bed of the truck.

as far as the Ham a Yaesu ft60 handheld is great to learn with, and can be had pretty cheap.

I have seen set ups like that, its really not a bad idea. I may look at it again, I forgot about doing it that way. I have been trying to keep my toolbox, but I may ditch it for a better set up. I'll check out that radio too. Thank you!

SGTTOM

New Explorer
Okay with much thought here is what I want to get in order to solve my sleeping issue. I want to put a RTT on a rack above my bed, I will look for a used RTT. The hard part is finding an acceptable rack with enough height to access my truck bed, but able to fit to the rear of the truck so I can access my tool box. I have seen some really cool racks on some Tacomas, but can't find anything for my Chevy. I have thought about Thule Xsporters but they are pricey $500 and I'm not sure how well they would work. I want to get this done by June. Any ideas?

COCHEV

How bout a contractor style lumber rack. I see a lot of guys on here using them for their RTT. Plenty strong. You could also get one designed to go around a canopy should you go that rout in the future...

SGTTOM

New Explorer
I have though about it, I like the ones I have seen than keep the RTT below the profile of the truck's roof. I haven't given up on the idea yet though, just trying to find something a little closer to what I want. It is a good idea.

crismateski

American Adventurist
I have though about it, I like the ones I have seen than keep the RTT below the profile of the truck's roof. I haven't given up on the idea yet though, just trying to find something a little closer to what I want. It is a good idea.

A rack is a pretty simple item, I would be willing to bet that you can have a custom rack built for much less then the 500 for the thule.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles