share your Baked bean recipies please

Balzer

Adventurer
My dad owns a sports bar and grill. He has a huge trailer mounted smoker/grill affectionatly named huff and puff. He does smoked pork butts smoked beef brisket for pulled meat samiches. He also does all the BBQ favorites from ribs to burgers and hot links.
-
Anyway we was talking and thought it would be great to have a few differernt baked bean variations that he could add the pulled pork to.
Right now we cheat and use canned stuff and add a few things such as mustard and chopped onion.
Some real recipies would be great especially with some variations from the norm.
-
Thanks

Hafwit

Adventurer
I don't tend to cook such beans by following a recipe, but rather I throw them together when the situation calls for it with whatever I have on hand. I like to use either pinto or black beans to start with. If you have the time you can presoak the dried beans, or if you are in a hurry, the canned beans work fine. I tend to load them into a crockpot-type cooker and cook them long and low. To these I might add a combination of any of the following (depending on what I have):
cooked meats: bacon, ham, andouille sausage, tri-tip, brisket, pulled pork, kalua pork, chorizo
vegetables: sauteed onions, garlic, roasted pasilla or poblano peppers, chipotles in adobo, sauteed or canned tomatoes
cheese: cotija, kasseri, parmesan, romano, etc.
herbs & spices: oregano, sage, cumin, cayenne, chili powder, coriander, curry powder
other: smoke flavoring, honey, beer, whiskey, bbq sauce

I would add any cheese last, and I would only consider adding something sweet like honey if after tasting it, it was deemed necessary. If you want exotic, try using Thai curry paste and coconut milk.

Cheers,
Greg

Zelix

Adventurer
This is the best bean recipe I've ever made. It's not my recipe so I can't take credit. It was originally posted at camp-cook.

http://camp-cook.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2826

Blodgett Canyon Baked Beans

Combine the following ingredients in a large mixing bowl:

3/4 lb. bacon ends & pieces or thick cut bacon, trimmed of excess fat and fried
1 med. onion, chopped and fried with bacon
1 16oz. can pork & beans, drain excess liquid but do not rinse
1 16oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 16oz. can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 C. ketchup
1/2 Tbl. honey mustard
1/2 Tbl. cider vinegar
1/4 C. brown sugar
1/4 C. molasses
pinch of salt
pinch of freshly ground pepper
1 shot of bourbon

After mixing thoroughly, transfer to a bean pot or 10" dutch oven and bake at 350 F for 1 to 1 1/2 hrs. Stir once or twice during the cooking process and a little water can be added to obtain desired consistency or if the beans are drying out.

I call this recipe Blodgett Canyon Baked Beans in honor of my good friend Don Mackey. He and I spent much time in Blodgett Canyon in the Bitterroot Mountains while we were growing up. He went on to become a Missoula Smoke Jumper and was killed in the Storm King Mountain Fire in Colorado. A bronze statue memorializes him about 1/4 mile up the canyon trail and you can read about his death in the book, "Fire On The Mountain" by John Maclean. Raise a glass to Don prior to comsumption.

Not my recipe but I use it all the time.

Vera's Baked Beans

1 lb. lean ground beef 1/2 cup catsup
1/2 lb. bacon 16 oz. Homestyle® Chili Sauce
1 large yellow onion; diced 2 Tbs. prepared mustard
1 small green pepper; diced 1/2 lb. pre-cooked ham; cubed
1/2 cup brown sugar (2) 31 oz. cans pork and beans

I usually leave the ham out and substitute BBQ sauce for the catsup.

From this great dutch oven recipe site: papadutch.home.comcast.net

Smksignals

Explorer
not my recipe, but i love it !!

DUTCH'S WICKED BAKED BEANS
(Beans that will even make Chili Heads happy)

6-8 strips of bacon cut into 1/2 inch squares
1/2 Medium onion, diced
1/2 Bell pepper, diced
1 - 2 Jalapeno Peppers, diced (seeding is optional)
1 - 55 ounce can Bushs Baked Beans
1-8 ounce can of pineapple chunks, drained
1 Cup Brown Sugar, packed
1 Cup ketchup
1/2 - 1 Tbs. dry (ground) mustard

Saute bacon pieces in fry pan until crispy and remove from pan with a slotted spoon. Saute onion, bell pepper and jalapeno pepper until tender.

In a large mixing bowl combine beans, pineapple, brown sugar, ketchup and dry mustard. Stir in bacon pieces and vegetables. Pour into a 12X9 or a deep 9X9 aluminum baking pan. (While mixing if things look dry, add additional ketchup 1/4 -1/2 cup at a time)

Place in a 220-250° smoker for 2 1/2 - 3 hours (make sure temperature of the baked beans reaches 160° ) or place in a 350° oven and bake for 1 hour.

NOTE: If you are making these beans as a side dish for Kansas City style pork ribs, smoke the removed skirt meat for 1-1 1/2 hours, then dice the skirt meat and stir into the Baked Beans.

DISCLAIMER

With the Jalapeno pepper and the dry mustard these beans have the potential for some heat. CAUTION should be exercised when feeding these beans to small children and/or the elderly.

To make this recipe Family Friendly, omit the Jalapeno pepper.

NH Moto Expo

Adventurer
Not mine but from http://www.bbqu.net/season3/305_4.html

Best Barbecued Beans on the Planet
Method: indirect grilling
Serves: 12 to 16

1 pound smoked brisket or bacon cut into 1/4-inch slivers
1 can (15 ounces) black beans
1 can (15 ounces) dark red kidney beans
3 cans (each 15 ounces) baked beans or pork and beans
1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
1 poblano pepper or green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 to 6 jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced (for hotter beans, leave the seeds in)
2 cups sweet red barbecue sauce (your favorite commercial brand)
1-1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar, or more to taste
1/2 cup Dijon mustard, or more to taste
2 teaspoons liquid smoke (optional; see Note)
Coarse salt (kosher or sea) and freshly ground black pepper
You'll also need:
1 large (turkey-size) or 2 medium-size aluminum foil pans; 2 cups wood chips or chunks (preferably pecan or hickory) soaked for 1 hour in hot water to cover, then drained.

1. If using bacon instead of brisket, place it in a large skillet over medium heat and fry until crisp and golden brown, about 5 minutes. Pour off all the bacon fat, saving a few tablespoons for the beans, if desired.

2. Empty the cans of black and kidney beans into a colander and drain. Rinse the beans under cold running water and drain again. Place all the beans (including the baked beans or pork and beans) in a large nonreactive mixing bowl and add the onion, bell and poblano peppers, garlic, and jalapenos and stir to mix. Add the barbecue sauce, brown sugar, mustard, liquid smoke, if using, and brisket or fried bacon and stir to mix. Taste for seasoning, adding more brown sugar and/or mustard as necessary, and salt and black pepper to taste; the beans should be very flavorful. Transfer the bean mixture to the aluminum foil pan or pans. (If you used bacon, you can drizzle a few tablespoons of bacon fat over the beans for extra flavor.)

3. Set up the grill for indirect grilling and preheat to medium-low. If using a gas grill, place all of the wood chips or chunks in the smoker box or in a smoker pouch and run the grill on high until you see smoke, then reduce the heat to medium-low. If using a charcoal grill, preheat it to medium-low, then toss all of the wood chips or chunks on the coals.

4. When ready to cook, place the pan of beans in the center of the hot grate, away from the heat, and cover the grill. Cook the beans until they are thick and richly flavored, about 1 hour. If the beans start to dry out, cover them loosely with aluminum foil. Remove the beans from the grill and let them rest for 15 minutes, then serve.

Note: If you cook the beans in a gas grill, you probably won't be able to generate enough smoke for a strong wood flavor. Add the liquid smoke in this case.

© 2006 Steven Raichlen | site design Benjamin Wilchfort

Treenail

Adventurer
Open a can of Home Style beans.

Dump into sauce pan or glass dish.

Add chopped onions and a enough Chalula sauce to make the Home Style sauce change color. Add garlic...lots. Add...whatever might be in the fridge.

Heat on stove or microwave.

Eat

Farting starts when the campfire is going.

Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles