Done this twice. Going back for more! NVTR2012 Jun 22,23
http://www.offroadexperience.com/nvtr12info.htm
DSC00623.JPG

701_7912.JPG

701_7933.JPG

Last edited:

Monterorider

Adventurer
Seriously I mean no offense. I know that Subys can do trick stuff. That's just what the rules are. If you are serious, contact the orgs they might bend them for you if you have team of 2 similar vehicles. I don't know. This even is not really about being toughest off-road. You would be OK for 80%-90% of stuff. Heck 50% can be done in a regular car with some care. But that remainder is where trouble lies. Some technical stuff, some long step ascends/descends is where low range really pays off. Provided weather cooperates. If it rains/snows it get really nasty quick.

CMiller

Adventurer
The good thing about most older Subies including mine is that it does have low range, locking center diff, limited slip rear diff with 11" of ground clearance. I think it will survive, not necessarily the best vehicle but that makes it more challenging and fun! Especially if one of these has never competed before! With the tires aired down a bit and picking a good line I can keep up with most trucks on nasty terrain. I just think the challenge would be fun to do this in a Subaru and surprise a lot of people.

Last edited:

Monterorider

Adventurer
You don't need to surprise anyone. You don't have to prove anything. Contact orgs. If they are ok with your rigs (you need team of 2 cars/4 people) join-in. It's about having fun you will have a blast. You won't regret it a bit. I ripped my shocks in half, blew my tire in 09, lost half of second day looking for parts - total blast. It's really different kind of adventure. You drive around and with albeit false but sense of purpose.

silvrzuki77

explorer
Just to make sure im reading it right, i cannot enter myself/codriver and single vehicle. I need to have another two people and vehicle to make a team? All
vehicles have to be registered? Thanks want to make sure

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
I will never understand the need to limit tire size in these events. If there is a limit, it should be in accordance to the vehicle's level of preparation, and if it can handle that size. Too bad. I would have enjoyed participating in such an event. Especially because I already have overseas, and have been dying to see such events in the US.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Monterorider

Adventurer
Just to make sure im reading it right, i cannot enter myself/codriver and single vehicle. I need to have another two people and vehicle to make a team? All
vehicles have to be registered? Thanks want to make sure

You need a team! That's just plain safety issue. Something happens you are alone outthere without cell coverage out of cb range. No one will hear you scream. One team had engine failure had to be towed out. It's really not big event they don't have any sweepers (couldn't really due to nature, you can go wherever you want). Finding lost vehicle would be nightmare. Anyway like I said earlier. Have issue, contact orgs. In 09 I entered by myself. I contacted org beforehand they were able to pair me up with somebody. Got to me befriend great pair of people.

Monterorider

Adventurer
I will never understand the need to limit tire size in these events. If there is a limit, it should be in accordance to the vehicle's level of preparation, and if it can handle that size. Too bad. I would have enjoyed participating in such an event. Especially because I already have overseas, and have been dying to see such events in the US.
You might notice H1s in those vids/pictures.
Or how about this one
DSC00652.JPG

No way those are 35s nor are stock H1s. Ask and you'll be given. I think 35" limit was set to make sure people entering don't overtax their driveline. People are often tempted. Also having larger tires won't really give one particular advantage. This is not King of Hammers type event with major rock crawling. There are few obstacles but as I understand majority of the course is laid out using stock LR like Defender or Series and motorcycles. If it's dry you won't have any problems. If it get wet snowed in. It's all about traction. 24HOURSOFNEVADA team had major fun on Job Peak Pass. We drove up to it. Had another team stuck in front of us. Figured not worth loosing time. Backed out.

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
I agree that larger tires are not necessarily an advantage in these types of events. My beef is when you have a vehicle that is built around larger tires, you can't go down to 35" without running into issues. That's why they shouldn't limit. One of the Range Rovers we built runs Unimog axles. As you can imagine, the gearing is so low, that you can't run anything below 40's. As you pointed out with the pics, they probably are more open minded than their rules make them out to be. Thanks for the info.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

silvrzuki77

explorer
Recon looks like we need anotHer vehicle you in? Dont know if i have my new h3t by then or we will be thrashing a samurai.

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
Recon looks like we need anotHer vehicle you in? Dont know if i have my new h3t by then or we will be thrashing a samurai.

If I'm back in the US on time, I'd love to. The Suzuki will do just fine if you don't have the H3T. They are some of the most reliable 4x4s ever made, and very nimble. In these type of events, it's good to have vehicles that are completely different. No such thing as the perfect 4x4 for all terrains, therefore different vehicles make up for each others handicaps.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles