White Knuckle Offroad sliders

4loco

New poster to expedition portal! I've been lurking for a while now for research purposes but I figured I'd shared story of these WKO sliders.

I was lucky enough to purchase these sliders from a writer of 4wd Toyota Owner for free. Well actually the cost of the sliders was a $200 dollar donation to a off road style "wounded warriors" charity, which
Is awesome. These sliders are the first ones ever made by WKO for the 4th gen 4runners and were featured on the original owners rig in the magazine!! Any ways I recently painted them with rustoleum textured black spray paint. I'm currently waiting for a bolt kit from WKO so I can install them.
4c5986ec-7e4d-cd8d.jpg

Expedition Leader
Good score, they make good stuff. I would like to get a pair of their sliders for my 40.

4loco

Finally got them I stalled and let me tell you they were a pain in the butt! It looks so simple too, but the top bolt on both sides had very little room to put the washer and nut on. Check it out.
4c5986ec-b541-8567.jpg
4c5986ec-b55d-141d.jpg
4c5986ec-b757-3a94.jpg
4c5986ec-b57e-2ce7.jpg
4c5986ec-b59a-3cf1.jpg
4c5986ec-b5d1-9fca.jpg

All said and done, I'm happy with these sliders. They are very solid. I guess being so hard to put on means they are hard to take off. Which would make the mounting system very strong. They stick out a perfect amount, and the kick-out provides a really nice step to load stuff on the rack and actually doesn't stick out that far.

4loco

I think that's why Demello sliders have a "double" closed loop design as well on their kick out sliders.

UPDATE:
Sliders are coming off soon because they are creaking pretty bad. Sounds like its rubbing the bottom of the floor where one of the top nut sits (the problem one pictures in previous post)

Any ideas on how to fix this? Can I message the area with a sledgehammer? Im kinda bummed. And advice would be appreciated. Thank you

Overbear

Observer
Look great but...bolt kit?

Rid yourself of the problems, weld them on. NO one should run rock bars "bolted" on, your just asking for trouble.

pfran42

Observer
Look great but...bolt kit?

Rid yourself of the problems, weld them on. NO one should run rock bars "bolted" on, your just asking for trouble.

I agree on principle but tons of people who wheel their rigs hard use bolt-on sliders. Sure, the brackets can snag obstacles but there are a ton of people who either do not have access to a welder or know that they will flip the vehicle in a few years and don't want/need such a permanent solution.

Speaking as a 100 Series owner with bolt-on sliders, I know that due to the IFS, this rig is never going over 2.75 inches of lift in the front. This basically takes in out of the rock crawler category where weld-on sliders seem a better solution. I use my sliders to protect the quarter panels in tricky situations, not to traverse rock gardens.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

taylorf16

You'll want to weld sliders on regardless of whether it's going rock crawling or not. I've got a 97 Runner and my latest trip through the desert got me a massive thrashed fuel tank skid plate because I was high centered. Had I had my sliders on, I could have hi-lift jacked it up, fanagled the rock out, and been on my way.. You'll want to weld them so they can support the weight of the vehicle. Bolts will rip your frame apart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles