Selling my Land Rover Defender 110 TDi

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
not fired up at all really, and I understand the unknowing buyer bit all to well. It is just that everyone assumes VIN swap first because most want the quick easy route, and the legit builders get grouped in there with them. Since I posted interest in the rig I guess I did the old 'assume' thing and apologize for doing so.

2takearest

Hi everybody,
I'm not sure, if I understand the discussion, but I just wanted to say, that we don't want to trick anybody. We are just two trevellers, who think about selling the car, rather than shipping it back to Europe.
Please have a good look at the pictures. There might be some problems for american citicens, to register the vehicle here legally. I have all the (german) paperwork with me and sell the car with the german licence-plates, if it helps you. You can buy the car an use the parts or try to register it. But I don't know the laws in the US neither do I know, how to register the car.

To Maxingout:
Thanx for the compliment, we are quite roud of it, as build everything by ourselves and also prepared the car technically. The idea of opening the closet from outside, we stole from an australian couple:)

Cheers
Claus

ipgregory

Adventurer
Hi Claus,

I see no reason to expect that you as a non-American would be expected to understand or even know about our very 'odd' shall we say rules when it comes to the importation of perfectly good Defenders. The discussion (from my end at least) is really more to point out that they exist and to be aware and careful of them. No suggestion was intended from me that you are in any way being tricky or underhand. From your perspective it makes perfect sense to sell a vehicle you no longer need here rather than go to the expense of shipping it back to Europe.

The discord you may be picking up is more to do with what is commonly happening to these underage for import vehicles after they make it here. Many are illegally given the identity of an older vehicle and sold on to unsuspecting buyers. That's not to suggest that this one will be, but it is commonly being done.

I am not sure what if any liability you may be left with as the seller in the event that there is an issue down the road. It will depend a lot on how you brought the vehicle into the country to begin with and what paperwork you have signed I expect.

Are you going to make it to the Overland Expo here in AZ in May do you think? You will no doubt find many potential buyers there as well as ideas for kitting out a vehicle for your ‘next’ trip... :)

Good luck with the sale and enjoy the rest of your trip.

Ian

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Claus

they are just discussing the ways to purchase your truck as its not 25 years old yet.

nothing wrong with your attempt to sell the truck- which I'm guessing will happen quite easily.

Really if there was someone wanting to hit South america- then across to SA and back up to europe it would be an ideal truck - good luck with the sale- either way I'm 90% sure you will sell it in the states

after that its the new owners issue.

Last edited:

ipgregory

Adventurer
So they would have to import as parts, then rebuild on a new chassis, or vin swap from an old series truck- the first is more legally correct - the other slightly more dodgy.

Its the buyer that has to sort the paperwork out

You might want to take the time and do a little research before making statements such as the above.

mongosd2

Adventurer
Claus, it's good you have the proper paperwork, but the issue is the age of the truck. Buying it for parts is one thing, and it's priced very well for that and for anyone looking for parts it's a great deal (made this bold so everyone understands that I'm bashing or sandbagging the sale). Just curious if you paid a bond when you brought the truck into the US, or what, if any, paperwork you did at the border crossing.

Listening to some moron say a vin swap is "just slightly" dodgy could get the purchaser into trouble if they try it. The reality is that vin swaps are illegal. Not grey, not a shade of grey or slightly dodgy. Illegal, plain and simple. While it does turn into the purchaser's problem, it's BS to even give such stupid advice.

I can't wait for all the comments on this one

DividingCreek

Explorer
Clarification: Grey market imports are legal trucks. By definition a grey market import is any vehicle not imported by the manufacturer. Vin swapped trucks aren't legal anywhere.

This truck represents a hell of a deal. The second row doors, if solid are worth every bit of $2k+. The going prices for a lhd dash and heater is now pushing $4k. Then there's the tdi drive train, disc brake sals, tub,roof,seats, etc. Hence Rovertraders interest. Not sure why all the talk about "importation". The truck is in- albeit probably on 6 mos tourist papers. Part it out and zero issues.

tpond

Observer
I am also interested. I sent you an e-mail but I got a response that it was undeliverable.

toby.pond AT gmail.com

503-290-9917

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
not to speak for Claus, but I feel pretty good we have a deal. He may be hard to reach as they are remote at times...

jfarsang

Adventurer
not to speak for Claus, but I feel pretty good we have a deal. He may be hard to reach as they are remote at times...

It's a shame it will be parted out.

I'd buy it if it were still available, bring it home and use it for overland trips from Canada.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles