4x4 UAZ-452

KMM4x4

Observer
Now, I think, folks choose much more comfortable UAZ Partiot for off-road driving.
On the Patriot great demand. Though, personally to me, it isn't interesting at all. Because for such money I am better the supported Land Cruiser or Nissan Patrol I will look.

Drabadum

On the Patriot great demand. Though, personally to me, it isn't interesting at all. Because for such money I am better the supported Land Cruiser or Nissan Patrol I will look.

Yes, it is a sort of a holy war: people who prefer a newer "economic" SUV (UAZ, SangYong, GreatWall) vs ones who are for 15+ years old "legendary" rigs (e.g., LC, Partol, Land Rover). Of course, everyone would choose a brand-new Land Cruiser, but a budget is very limited, as usually.

KMM4x4

Observer
Yes, it is a sort of a holy war: people who prefer a newer "economic" SUV (UAZ, SangYong, GreatWall) vs ones who are for 15+ years old "legendary" rigs (e.g., LC, Partol, Land Rover). Of course, everyone would choose a brand-new Land Cruiser, but a budget is very limited, as usually.
When the price doesn't play a role that about UAZ most likely anybody and won't remember. People buy that on what money will be enough and that will be able to contain.

MRyabinin

Wow! We owner of first car UAZ-452 (2206). Next week we will participate in the Abenteuer&Allrad exhibition in Germany.

One can find plenty of them at Drive2. The web-site is in Russian, and all its functionality opens after registration, unfortunately.
A funny thing is that this model is still in production with the price tag about 580000 RUB / 9000 USD.
Yes, some travellers in Russia use "buhanka" as a camper, but the problem is in poor quality and lack of any comfort. Thus, people use them for not long, but really tough off-road, hunting, fishing and so on.

MikeWeaver

I rode one of these UAZ 452, and I can confirm on two things: yes it's very spartan, and yes it's unbelievably capable on a rough terrain. I am not sure if it can go at 55MPH easily just to keep up with the traffic in US though.

Jvdkooij

Observer
55 is a bit fast for most of them, it is more convenient to keep it at 50mph (but only on flat roads). In rough terrain it works very well indeed.

Why we bought one:

incredible cheap compared to japanese/american cars
parts are available everywhere
mechanics are available anywhere as it is very simple technically.
enough room to fit 6 guests, 1 cook and the driver including cargo/bags.
we also looked at other vans, like Toyota hiace and Mitsubishi Delica but the Hiace is difficult to lift and has also a lot of rust (like the UAZ by the way) and the Delica's are too small.

Keep in mind that we use it for organizing trips, so we have very specific criteria, if only with two persons, criteria can be very different.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles