Replacing Header Gaskets

Imnosaint

Adventurer
At the beginning of last winter I noticed that characteristic sewing-machine ticking sound from under the hood of my Gen III, 3.8l. The sound would go away after it warmed up. I'd sniff around under the hood trying to determine an exhaust leak but couldn't definitively detect one. Now the weather's warming up and the ticking is more pronounced, though no difference in performance. I'm 99% certain it's a header gasket leak. Bought gaskets, and getting ready to replace.

Any similar experiences out there? Thanks.

shov3lbum

Adventurer
The ticking? The ticking sounds come from the valve lash adjusters until they are pressurized enough with oil, they help bridge the gap between the lifters and the rollers as the parts age and wear down. Unless you're talking of another ticking sound? The VLA sound is distinct when compared, like you can tell a difference between them and valve lifter noise (which I have heard momentarily at start up too)

Imnosaint

Adventurer
The ticking? The ticking sounds come from the valve lash adjusters until they are pressurized enough with oil, they help bridge the gap between the lifters and the rollers as the parts age and wear down. Unless you're talking of another ticking sound? The VLA sound is distinct when compared, like you can tell a difference between them and valve lifter noise (which I have heard momentarily at start up too)

Thanks, yes, I know that sound and that's not what I'm talking about. This is more of a pfft than a tick, and continues until the engine reaches op temp, then diminishes, indicative to me of the heat induced expansion of the compromised gasket. The nature of the sound goes sharper under load of accelerating. What do you think?

scrubber3

Not really here
Sounds like an exhaust manifold/ exhaust manifold gasket leak to me. If you want to know for sure, get some seafoam and run it through the throttle body with the engine running. As the seafoam burns off it will release smoke and you can tell where the leak is coming from. You may need to rev it up a few times....

shov3lbum

Adventurer
Thanks, yes, I know that sound and that's not what I'm talking about. This is more of a pfft than a tick, and continues until the engine reaches op temp, then diminishes, indicative to me of the heat induced expansion of the compromised gasket. The nature of the sound goes sharper under load of accelerating. What do you think?

Okay, sorry, didn't mean to belittle you or anything! Just trying to help, I do know what you mean though now, my montero sport has that exact sound when cold too, and it more or less just fades when warm, never truly goes away...annoying as it is, I don't see it as a major area of concern at the moment.

Sounds like an exhaust manifold/ exhaust manifold gasket leak to me. If you want to know for sure, get some seafoam and run it through the throttle body with the engine running. As the seafoam burns off it will release smoke and you can tell where the leak is coming from. You may need to rev it up a few times....

I think you hit the nail on head, gasket on the exhaust manifold probably going...like I just mentioned, same sounds, problem for me, just not high on my priority list right now, it's not horrible, I once drove a ford explorer with a cracked exhaust manifold and only 5 of 6 cylinders bangin'...so been through much worse.. :coffee:

Imnosaint

Adventurer
Okay, sorry, didn't mean to belittle you or anything! Just trying to help, I do know what you mean though now, my montero sport has that exact sound when cold too, and it more or less just fades when warm, never truly goes away...annoying as it is, I don't see it as a major area of concern at the moment.

Oh, no, never took it that way. No worries. My description of ticking certainly could be valve related, and I certainly appreciate the help of everyone here.

I've also heard of connecting a fogger machine to the tailpipe and then checking around the manifolds for leaking vapor.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Exhaust Manifold gaskets don't have any kind of known history of premature failure in the Mitsu v6's that I've known of but I'm not exactly known for having a stellar memory when it comes to it. How many miles are on your Montero?

Imnosaint

Adventurer
Exhaust Manifold gaskets don't have any kind of known history of premature failure in the Mitsu v6's that I've known of but I'm not exactly known for having a stellar memory when it comes to it. How many miles are on your Montero?

132k. And by the looks of my replacement gaskets, that would be a tough one to have fail.

phammm

I have gone through 2.5 sets of exhaust manifolds on my 2003 xls. the right one seems to crack more often than the left one.It leads to a popping/ticking sound. cheaper place i have found them is oemmitsubishiparts.com.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles