multi-purpose ramps

toymaster

Explorer
I have a thought I'd like to hear some advice concerning. I ran into an off-road situation while in the desert where I had to turn around, I was not happy about that. As I looked at the obstacle I thought if I had some ramps I would have tried. But, who the h carries ramps, right? Well I got to looking and all I found for expo use were ramp type devices for sand/mud use. None would support the weight of the vehicle off of the ground. What I did find was this...

http://www.discountramps.com/car-trailer-ramps.htm

low-profile-trailer-ramps-sm[1].jpg

They can be had in 5' or 6' lengths weigh 18lbs each with a rating of 2,500 or 3,000 lbs per axle. Plenty for the task I have in mind. Around $250, not bad. I could carry them either under my trailer or under the roof rack I have on top of my trailer neither way would affect off-road clearances. They would even ride nicely on the top of my roll cage if I left the trailer at camp. I could even use them at the house for other reasons. This type of rigid ramp could be used in sand, mud, or rocks.

IMG-20110707-00066-S.jpg

Are there better products out there for what I have in mind out?

Here is the situation that made me think ramps may not be a bad idea. I have a decently well-built jeep but there are still limits to 35" tires and my wheelbase. I was going up a trail north of Yuma, north of Martinez lake, where the road diverged. There were homemade arrow signs that said "the easy way" and another that said "4x4s beware" and something to effect of good luck trying it. Well, I had to take the hard way of course. There was nothing there I could not handle, at one point I passed some side by side atvs that turned around due to a hill, the hill was not a problem for me. The trail went into a dry river bed like many of them are in that area and I came across a rock ledge about 4 foot high with a straight drop off in 'v' shaped portion of the canyon just large enough for my jeep. I put some love marks on my armor getting through it. With a little digging to remove some river sand buildup so my front bumper would not dig in I easily got past that one. A few hundred yards up the canyon river bed there was another drop off. This one there was no way I could make it well, may be with ramps as I said. I had to turn around and back track close to 15 miles to go the "easy" way.

Now I am sure the rock crawling crowd would probably make fun of carry ramps but my purpose is keep going forward on my expedition. With ramps I could have even taken my trailer through this "4x4 beware" trail. In my opinion to make it down this obstacle would have required a buggy with over 40" tires and a lot longer wheel base than my 2 door JK. In my opinion carry a set of ramps would be a force multiplier for expedition use with a minimum of excess weight. The other choice would be to cut logs and make ramps although in some terrain that is not possible, as in deserts. I can think of a situation in every terrain where they might be useful from the desert to the jungle. Admittedly my 4x4 needs maybe excessive when compared to most expo people and my rig mild when compared to rock crawlers. Am I wrong or do all of you secretly carry ramps?

Let me know if I'm a progressive or just way behind the times. :26_16_2:

fishEH

Explorer
Aren't the MaxTrax able to be used as ramps, as well as most of the other grate style traction aids?
On a trip last month to Wisconsin we had to use the pictured fiberglass waffle grates as ramps. There was a creek crossing with a sheer ice ledge. The LR Series/Toyota hybrid tried to get up it. He bounced up on top of the ice, came down, slipped back into the creek and blew his rear diff. He was fully locker on 35 Swampers. We figured if he didn't make it we'd better use the ramps. ;)
P1330965.jpg

Here you can just barely see the ramps sitting on the edge of the ice. The worked grate(haha:) ) and got all of the trucks in our group of with no problems.
P1330857.jpg

toymaster

Explorer
Exactly what I was talking about. However, the maxtrax are to short IMO. I can see them being great in the sand but in situations like you have pictured way to short. Where did you pick up that grating? The ramps I have pictured in first post are good, just looking now for lighter alternatives with 2,000 capbility.

The first obstacle in my post was doable without my trailer with my trailer it would have been impossible without ramps. Since the trailer box is 6' long adding small brackets under the frame to store a pair of ramps is perfect.

westyss

Explorer
Another idea that has been thrown around and is something that I plan to complete is using an aluminum stair tread, these are light weight and relatively strong, can be had in any length and do come in several widths. My plan is to get a 12" tread and an 8" tread, beef them up a bit with some aluminum tube and have ramps or sand ladders. Now the reason for the different widths is I will carry 2- 12" x five or six feet long and 2- 8" ones so when you want to use them as ramps, slide one behind the other for double strength. Sounds like I weigh more than you so you might get away with one.

here's a pic showing the type of tread I am talking about, I was testing the strength on this picture. Obviously not strong enough on its own.
DSCF2648.JPG

This is the type of tube I would use to strengthen the tread.
DSCF2654.JPG

One 5' length will run you around $40-$50 and will weigh around 10 pounds.

Anyway there you go, another idea.

fishEH

Explorer
Exactly what I was talking about. However, the maxtrax are to short IMO. I can see them being great in the sand but in situations like you have pictured way to short. Where did you pick up that grating? The ramps I have pictured in first post are good, just looking now for lighter alternatives with 2,000 capbility.

The first obstacle in my post was doable without my trailer with my trailer it would have been impossible without ramps. Since the trailer box is 6' long adding small brackets under the frame to store a pair of ramps is perfect.
A guy in my local Land Rover club has about 3 sets he's looking to sell. I think he wants $100-150, not sure. If you're interested I could find out.

toymaster

Explorer
^^^^^ As a matter of fact I would be if you are talking about the grating in your pics. I need to know the lenght and weight. Like I said trying to beat 18lbs each.

fishEH

Explorer
^^^^^ As a matter of fact I would be if you are talking about the grating in your pics. I need to know the lenght and weight. Like I said trying to beat 18lbs each.

He said they're 48"x12"x2", 19lbs. I've got a message into him asking if they're 19lbs for the set or each ladder.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Anyone notice those ramps they used in the recently posted vid of the Jeeps crossing the Darien Gap? If not, check 'em out.

toymaster

Explorer
Well that seals the deal, ramps it is. The video also got me wanting soft doors. I thoroughly enjoyed the video, took me 2 hours to download/watch it. The jeep wagoneer seemed to not make the whole trip. I can't believe they timed the part in the artic during the winter?? I guess you got to go when you can. The part about not being able to buy that type of loyalty and commitment is true.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Tough call on the ramps. I would probably say that you made the right choice in turning around instead of working your way back into perhaps and even more complicated section.

Personally, I tend to take a minimalist stance on gear for the most part. I just think its FAR to easy to take this....then that....then just one more thing. At the end of the day most likely your vehicle is going to not appreciate the extra weight.

Did you get any pictures of the ledge that caused you to turn back?

toymaster

Explorer
^^^ Nope no pics. I have this thing about not taking time to take pics when I'm actually out there, except for scenery. Most of my pics are "driveway". If I'm actually out there I am concentrating on the Fahrvergnügen.

My thing is going, just keep going man. For me the jeep is a way to get "there" which is always somewhere over the next hill. I have my excellent off-road trailer but with it attached there are even more limits. I think having a pair of light weight ramps hid underneath the trailer (best part is there will be no sacrifice of departure angles with them stored) is well worth the extra 36lbs. So I can keep making forward progress. Not to mention I have other uses for such ramps at the house.

I too am sensitive of how much gear I take. My real problem is deciding what is the correct amount of tools.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles