Harley guy going to adventure bike?

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
Well, I've been drooling on adventure bikes for a while and now I think I am going to pull the trigger.

I am currently riding a Road King and seriously checking out the KTM 990 adventure.

Thoughts on difference in the bikes (Road King vs adventure bikes).

Overwhelm me with info on the BMW GS and the KTM Adventure. Looks like some 2010 models can still be found new for a good price. Can somebody give me a rundown on the different models?

Thanks

Butch:bike_rider:

Saiyan66

Adventurer
Get ready for comfort, performance, and reliability like you have never known before! Sorry I just had to get my diggs in on HD. I assume that you are comparing the 1200GS and the 990 Adventure. They are both great bikes, not without their weak spots but nothing that can't be taken care of preemptively. The big GS is a way better road cruiser, 1200cc opposed twin. It will feel like a big bike to you, even coming off of a Harley. They sit up high, but once you get moving they are magic. The KTM is going to be better off road. It is a 990 V-twin so is quite narrow and agile feeling. Like a big dirt bike almost. Not as cush for long trips as the big GS. If you are looking for something a little smaller, you might also consider the BMW 800GS as well. It has an 800cc parallel twin, good suspension, and decent comfort for long trips. I recommend test riding all three.

P.S. If long distance road touring is where you are leaning, dont overlook the Yamaha Super Tenere. Great bike for that, similar concept to the 1200GS.

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
Keep the info coming!

More fun facts. Just had a little one so my long trips with the wife are likely going to decrease for a little while. Additionally I am only 5'8".

zolo

Explorer
Here is the thread I started when I sold my GS and Bought the KTM 990. This is my take on the 2 bikes. Its some info but not ALL the info. I think they both rock but as I have said before the KTM is more Fun. So read and see what ya think. Keep in mind this is between an 06 GS and and 08 KTM.
Both bikes are different for the 2012 year model. But this gives you something to go by. Hope it helps.
Right now deals can be had for a KTM and likely the GS but a better deal could be made for a 2 year old KTM.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/68433-Switching-from-a-GS1200-to-a-KTM-990

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I think they both rock but as I have said before the KTM is more Fun.

If your definition of 'fun' and mine are the same - then I'd have to agree.

You need to decide what you're after, because each bike fits slightly different niche (and they both fit their respective niche very well).

The big KTM will leave a goofy grin on your face every time you treat it like a giant dirt bike - where the GS will leave you terrified and feeling lucky to be alive if you treat it like a dirt bike.

On the other hand, the GS will leave you laughing at the KTMs every time you take on fuel, point it down a few hundred miles of good road, carve up some twisty piece of pavement, or try to recover some value when you sell it.

Overall, the GS is just mellower than the KTM. If you are after mellow - the GS is the ticket. If you want to go out every now and then and drift through corners, fling it off of water bars, etc - the KTM wins hands down.

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
Any thoughts on one being better for a shorter rider? It does appear the BMW holds it's value better as the used ones I am finding are still pretty expensive. The reality is, I'll use the bike more commuting to work than dirt roads.

zolo

Explorer
Any thoughts on one being better for a shorter rider? It does appear the BMW holds it's value better as the used ones I am finding are still pretty expensive. The reality is, I'll use the bike more commuting to work than dirt roads.

If that's the case then look at the F800GS. Not such a big a bike as the 1200. That might be an option.
Ive seen lots of folks around with them, and they seem to get good reviews.

Robert B

Adventurer

I very recently purchased an R1200GS. Once the bike is moving, it is very nimble and easy to ride. Like BMW cars, it seems to shrink once it is in motion. However, when you have to push it around or you are getting it in and out of downtown parking, there is no escaping that it is a big, heavy bike. My dealer gave me a F800R (not the GS) as a loaner and it felt tiny in comparison to my R1200GS. The controls on the R1200, namely, turn signals, also are a little unconvetional and take getting used to. Whereas, the F800 controls are like any Japanese bike (I have never ridden a Harley). That said, for my purposes, the R1200GS is exactly what I wanted and turns out to be much easier to ride than I had imagined.

Attachments

• _DSC3683.jpg
    _DSC3683.jpg
    400.7 KB · Views: 4

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur

Typically, BMW has a lower seat height than KTM. For commuting, that's a good thing. The downside is that it forces them to push the engine/trans down lower, which reduces ground clearance, limits suspension travel, etc. The BMW seats are also typically wider than the KTM seats - more comfortable, but gives the feeling of a taller bike (standing bow-legged over it). My 800GS with a 34" seat height feels almost as tall as my Husaberg with a 38" seat simply because the seat is so wide on the GS. The seat width also makes it a bit awkward when riding off road & trying to get your weight way up front.

The 800 is actually a decent commuter. Heavy enough to not get blown around like the little bikes, 85hp will get you away from traffic when needed, and with average economy numbers around 50mpg (for mine anyway), it's pretty efficient. It's not as smooth as the 1200, isn't as happy at high speeds as the 1200 (85+ -- it gets a little buzzy compared to the 1200, and economy falls on its face), it maneuvers in tight quarters pretty well, etc . . . but they aren't cheap.

zolo

Explorer
Of coarse if you buy a KTM you can get all addicted to things like DAKAR and wear cool stuff to support and represent KTM like this....

Cause they have won Dakar 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11 times.
6 more times than BMW... Yeah they be good.

But that can come later. Ditch the HD first. Then we can talk more....:bike_rider:

Last edited:

NothingClever

Explorer
If your definition of 'fun' and mine are the same - then I'd have to agree.

You need to decide what you're after, because each bike fits slightly different niche (and they both fit their respective niche very well).

The big KTM will leave a goofy grin on your face every time you treat it like a giant dirt bike - where the GS will leave you terrified and feeling lucky to be alive if you treat it like a dirt bike.

On the other hand, the GS will leave you laughing at the KTMs every time you take on fuel, point it down a few hundred miles of good road, carve up some twisty piece of pavement, or try to recover some value when you sell it.

Overall, the GS is just mellower than the KTM. If you are after mellow - the GS is the ticket. If you want to go out every now and then and drift through corners, fling it off of water bars, etc - the KTM wins hands down.

I've been listening (and participating in) to the BMW vs. KTM War since 2002 (having owned and ridden both). That has to be in the top 3 of the best threads I've ever read which offer a fair comparison and no trench warfare.

Well done!

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
Suggestions on years to watch out for or major changes between 2007 and present on the BMW or KTM? I am leaning towards a KTM because of size and price.

Thanks for the awesome info! Posted my HD on craigslist today, we will see.

Butch

zolo

Explorer
Is there any way you can test ride a GS12 and a KTM 990?
I know most BMW dealers will have a demo to ride.
As for finding a 990 to test ride I think it might be harder to do. I know here in GA the KTM dealers are few and far beween and I have yet to see one as a demo to ride.
They are so different it would be good to ride them and see what you like and what you dont like.

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
Is there any way you can test ride a GS12 and a KTM 990?
I know most BMW dealers will have a demo to ride.
As for finding a 990 to test ride I think it might be harder to do. I know here in GA the KTM dealers are few and far beween and I have yet to see one as a demo to ride.
They are so different it would be good to ride them and see what you like and what you dont like.

Good call! This is a big change in style of riding. Closest BMW dealer is abou 40 miles, I will check that out.

watrboy

Observer
Similar change

Great discussion. I did kinda the same thing. I sold my Honda Valkyrie Interstate and switched to a Honda XR650L. Can't get over the fun factor. Easy to commute, 48 mpg and all dressed up to travel and half to a third the investment of the GS or KTM.
Course I only ride pavement if it is getting dark and back roads will take too long. I am probably 70% dirt 30% pavement. I am more the fast back road and left the gearing stock. I can run all day at 70 with the windscreen on.

I just got tired of always wondering where that side road went to. Now I can find out and avoid traffic all together. This bike is too tall for you, but there are lots of inexpensive and expensive dual purpose/adventure bikes out there.

Good luck with the move. I sure like mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke