Gas Can Carriers

Ok, so bugged Mr. Brady about this subject...

I'm trying to figure out my gas can carrier mount options.

Just doing a quick chop, here's what I would like to do...
Xterrawithgascarrier.jpg

Has anyone done similar? I have seen pictures of someone mounting a huge spare tire directly to the rear hatch.

I don't want to mount spare gas on the roof or put it inside the vehicle.

What do yall think?

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
well, unless it swivels away, it's gonna be a royal pain to open the back hatch, and then you will also have the pleasure, albeit unlikely, of pouring gas out if the lid isn't quiet attached correctly.

I am still trying to figure this one out myself, it's tough to find good storage for gas unless you have a custom rear bumper ...

jeffryscott said:
well, unless it swivels away, it's gonna be a royal pain to open the back hatch, and then you will also have the pleasure, albeit unlikely, of pouring gas out if the lid isn't quiet attached correctly.

I am still trying to figure this one out myself, it's tough to find good storage for gas unless you have a custom rear bumper ...

Yeah, im thinking of mounting directly to the hatch.

As far as the gas pouring out... Anyone have suggestions to cheaper, non-leaking cans that can be inverted? SCEPTER? BLITZ?

articulate

Expedition Leader
Like the esteemed Jonathan Hanson once told me about my seeping-Scepter can, "Gas cans just leak. It's what they do."

Colorado Ron

Explorer
I would never even think of mounting it directly to a tailgate. 5 gallons of fuel is HEAVY. You will end up with door damage in the long run not to mention that opening it will be a major pain. And the shocks wont hold it open so you will have to brace it open. Really not a good idea.

I would build a rear bumper with spare tire swing out and gas can holder.

Somthing like this would be sweet, but obviously different setup since your not driving a sammy:

1051988783_0a418f1dd9.jpg

I guess I'll have to be lucky in Mexico.

I'm a college student, dad, husband... you know the drill... low income, but still willing to take trips, with compromise. I'll have to skip the bumper mounted swing out... or the hitch thing.

It may not be so bad as to just take the can out of the holder when i need to open the hatch.
Are you guys suggesting that the only problem will be when the hatch is open? Or all together?

Colorado Ron

Explorer
All together. That tailgate isnt designed to hold that can full of gas. Im afraid that even with a decent mounting, your going to end up with problems. That can will shake around back there, no matter how good the mounting. This will cause it to hollow out the mounting holes eventually. I personally would scrap the whole idea, but thats just me. It would be cheaper to come up with a way to mount it to the roof rack via a bracket. But I still dont like that idea much either, but better than back hatch IMO.

Colorado Ron

Explorer
Just another thought, looks like you have a reciever. If you absolutly need to take more gas, you can buy those rear racks fairly cheap that slide into your reciever.

But this brings me to another question, why are you trying to mount the gas can? Where are you going that you need an extra 5 gallons?

51ASS3Z43TL._AA354_.jpg

Colorado Ron

Explorer
Hmmm, now you got me thinking . I LOVE coming up with cheap alternatives. How about looking on craigslist for a cheaper reciever mounted bike rack. Then build a mounting system on each side to hold your can. Then you could have two, one on drivers side and one on passenger. And if you really want to get creative I bet you could build a hi lift jack mount that faces the vehicle.

swagman_3_towing.jpg

Colorado Ron said:
Hmmm, now you got me thinking . I LOVE coming up with cheap alternatives. How about looking on craigslist for a cheaper reciever mounted bike rack. Then build a mounting system on each side to hold your can. Then you could have two, one on drivers side and one on passenger. And if you really want to get creative I bet you could build a hi lift jack mount that faces the vehicle.

swagman_3_towing.jpg

Dude, you're some kind of super genius!

I really like that last idea. I can actually make something like that.... The only problem is, of course, opening the rear hatch. Maybe a hinge to break to one side or away from the vehicle.

We are making a trip into the Sierra Madres Oriental in November. From what I understand, there is fuel available. Question is where and how much of it can i find?

Xterrawithgascarrier.jpg

Can you see me building anything off the receiver itself??? Its a straight square pipe with flat metal connecting it to the frame.

Anyone built a rear bumper themselves? Straight across for all I care.

Time for bed.

Colorado Ron

Explorer
They make some of the those bike racks with a hinge already. Im sure you can find a used one. Pull the pin and it lays back about a foot to open the hatch. I have found these on craigslist for as little as $25.

bike-carrier-2.jpg

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Okay, this is serious. Would you guys be interested in some sort of fuel holding hitch mounted system?
How many cans? Would you want it to hold anything else? What price range?
Please feel free to pm me or just respond.

SOAZ said:
Okay, this is serious. Would you guys be interested in some sort of fuel holding hitch mounted system?
How many cans? Would you want it to hold anything else? What price range?
Please feel free to pm me or just respond.

Cheap... as in materials.
Like I said earlier, I would not be a likely candidate to purchase any sort of carrier unless it was sub $200. I do have the ability to cut everything out and a friend to weld... my hamster wheels are turning......

TeriAnn

Explorer
LaOutbackTrail said:
What do yall think?

Explore other options before filling your garage with replacement rear door & hinge assemblies.

1. crawl under the vehicle to see of there is any unused space where a custom second fuel tank can be installed. The best place to add weight is in the centre at frame level. The worst place is one side or the other at roof level.

2. Can you make do towing a small off road trailer for extra fuel water & gear?

3. Add a rear swing away to handle the weight. Surely someone sells swing aways for your vehicle that will either do the job or be modified to carry jerry cans.

4. If you feel a need to put fuel cans on a roof rack, go with the smaller 10L cans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94