Sleeping Pad

lam396

Adventurer
Has anyone tried the Cabelas Standard Pad? It is on sale and I was thinking about picking two up but wasn't sure how it would compare to a Thermorest or one of the more expensive pads. Space isn't really an issue and neither is weight. I like that fact that is uses a foam but still inflates with air. I'm just not sure how it would compare to other brands.

I would also be open to other suggestions on brands and types. Intended use would be for truck tent camping and canoe camping along rivers.

Honu

lost on the mainland
I tried the cabelas 3.5 inch one ultimate pad its called ?
not the 2 inch standard you are looking at ?
we have alps 2.5 inch we used in our trailer and decided to get more comfort :)

cabelas is more like the REI model that is a bit softer than the thermarest models I owned including a thermarest dreamtime but did not keep it as I had another pad at the time I liked better which was the exped mega mat 10 the 4 inch box style ! very comfy about the most comfy sleeping pad I have owned

since we are selling the trailer weight and size is now more a concern and going to cots and single sleeping bags ended up with big agnes bags so had to switch our pads to 25 inch versions the exped I had was 30 inches but with a tape measure just shy of 32 :)

for cots I want the pad for insulation and to add some comfort but we ended up using the Nemo pads with the memory foam topper they have its not a normal memory foam as it does not get hard and is in a pad kit they have a 20 and 25 inch model

have to say the nemo pad is about the best pad I have ever had and is a toss up with the exped both are super comfy both have a bit dif feel ? for grins I stacked the two and swear it was nicer than my bed :) but the exped was nice cause it was firmer with the self inflating style foam in it ! the pad is not cheap though but after trying out a ton of pads and returning and trying them in store for self inflating price not mattering the exped might be my winner and in the inflating the nemo is the most comfy

I think the next model I would get after the ones I owned would be the REI camp bed 3.5 inch model

again I know these pads are the thicker ? for me 2 inches on my near 50 year old body I prefer the thicker :) oh to be even in my 30s again :) I used to sleep on the blue foam into my 30s and again would never go thinner than 3.5 again the inflatable are so small and light if space is a issue the self inflating style with the exped and the rei camp bed are just so comfy ? not sure I would bother with a 2 inch if I was on the ground ;) hope that helps

crismateski

American Adventurist
have an rei 1inch (old) and an rei 3inch from a few years ago. Both are comfortable and have held up very well, but the 3 inch is far more comfortable if you have the space.

D110

Observer
I've been toying with the idea of buying a sheet of closed cell foam like microcell ( http://www.foamforyou.com/minicell_foam.htm ) and making my own... I thought I would try the 1.5" and if it was too firm then add a conventional foam topper. Anyone else tried this? The advantage is I can make a good size double (sheets are 60" wide) for the wife and I.

Honu

lost on the mainland
Cabelas used to have that one super wide one and they quit it last year ?

Thought of making on like you say for wife and I and kids but decided to get cots after some testing :)

One idea base layer 2 inch closed 36 inches wide with a seam so it can fold and then a 4 inch layer of compressible foam on the top
Sewn with the seam on the top so it can fold in half then rolled up nice and comfy
then also came to the idea that quality inflatable pack way smaller and are comfy like the Exped MegaMat which is 4 inches and amazing comfy and would pack way smaller ;)
these days cant see to much use for sleeping pad that is not self inflate or inflate insulated ? no more closed cell sleep pads for sleeping in my life ;)

Last edited:

lam396

Adventurer
Ok, I'm leaning towards going with the full 3" foam pad. Although size isn't a real concern, I am wondering how large it will be rolled up especially considering I will be needing two of them. Also, for those of you that use closed cell foam pads, what is your experience in the summer or warmer temps. Summer gets to be very warm and humid here in MO and I'm wondering if the foam will just be too uncomfortable to use in anything but cool to cold weather. Any thoughts?

oliverlove

Adventurer
Just recently there was a link floating around to another website. It was reviewing a pad, but I have lost the link! Help!!

Any ideas? It was a small website, clearly member run.

tweakeraz

First post, sorry. I bought the 3.5" self inflating pad from REI and love it. However, not sure what Costco is like near you, but this past weekend, I noticed Costco has a self inflating 3 or 3.5" pad now for 35 bucks I think. I almost bought 2 just on price alone. Maybe something for those looking for a comfortable pad, but on a budget. Plus, Costco's return policy is fantastic. I don't see how anyone could go wrong. I am in the Phoenix area, so again, not too sure what other Costco's might have.

Last edited:

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
We have a pair of Thermarest Dreamtime mattresses. 3-2/2" thick and quite comfy as sleeping on the ground goes.

SilverBullet

Explorer
First post, sorry. I bought the 3.5" self inflating pad from REI and love it. However, not sure what Costco is like near you, but this past weekend, I noticed Costco has a self inflating 3 or 3.5" pad now for 20 bucks I think. I almost bought 2 just on price alone. Maybe something for those looking for a comfortable pad, but on a budget. Plus, Costco's return policy is fantastic. I don't see how anyone could go wrong. I am in the Phoenix area, so again, not too sure what other Costco's might have.

Would you be willing to pick me up 2 and i will drive down and buy them from u? I am not a member, but checked our store with family and no luck. I will be in the valley next weekend for a birthday party. PM me please.

Salue

Adventurer
First post, sorry. I bought the 3.5" self inflating pad from REI and love it. However, not sure what Costco is like near you, but this past weekend, I noticed Costco has a self inflating 3 or 3.5" pad now for 20 bucks I think. I almost bought 2 just on price alone. Maybe something for those looking for a comfortable pad, but on a budget. Plus, Costco's return policy is fantastic. I don't see how anyone could go wrong. I am in the Phoenix area, so again, not too sure what other Costco's might have.

They have these pads at my Costco too and I'm thinking about giving them a try; I have the 3.5" REI self inflating pad but the price is tough to beat for the Light Speed pads currently at Costco that I might get it just to get it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles