Coprate 10 bolt 8.5 inch

random

Observer
I've seen them hold up to large tires, big horsepower and tons of abuse in mud, and fail with stock tires on the street. Keep a spare axle shaft if you're really worried. If you wind up using the spare, then you should probably upgrade.

Saiyan66

Adventurer
+1. It's all about how you drive, with a little bit of luck mixed in. You should definitely carry a spare axle shaft and familiarize yourself with installing it though. Then if you have problems you can get a 14 bolt rear.

WILLD420

Observer
+1. It's all about how you drive, with a little bit of luck mixed in. You should definitely carry a spare axle shaft and familiarize yourself with installing it though. Then if you have problems you can get a 14 bolt rear.

If you are using it as is, and not spending any money on it, then run it till it breaks. If you are planning on spending money on it, then don't. Save up and get a 9.5 6 lug axle and be done with it, unless you are planning on a heavy foot and bigger than 36 or 37" tires. The 9.5 is easily twice as strong in stock form and has a good reputation for holding up to anything a sane driver will put them through as long as it's maintained and not intentionally destroyed.

bftank

Explorer
it depends on how much traction you have. if you are in a high traction situation i.e. rocks, try avoid letting it get bound up or using lots of throttle. the problem with some posi lockers is the traction can be unpredictable. and catch at the wrong time.

when preparing for overland travel it is best to be prepared for any situation. to be able to use the throttle when necessary.

in your situation with the c1500. i would weld the rear spider gears for cheap traction. put on some 33's or 35's on aluminum rims. a welded rear end will handle a little different on the street and in the snow. but it is very predictable. tire scrub won't be as bad in a truck as in an suv, as long as you don't load up real heavy you shouldn't have any problems breaking axles on the street.

just my opinion. this worked very well in a '74 1/2t i had with 36" swampers.

Rot Box

Explorer
A friend exploded one (busted/cracked the differential) driving around a corner in a Carls Jr. drive through with 33's and a Detroit Tru-trac. No real signs of wear up till that point. I don't like 10 bolts especially when 14 bolts are cheap lol.

Broke one in a 97 tahoe, the case it self cracked and the chunk came out in peices, broke my driveshaft, tcase, and twisted the input shaft of my trans.
I avoid at all costs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles