Last forever with general maintenance
Lifting can be done for under $200
Perform well off-road with the stock drivetrain
Normal two speed transfer cases swap in fairly easily
Maintain interstate speeds in the mountains
Tow 5000 pounds
V8 swap without modifying the body
Full size mattress fits easily in the back
Some have limited slip rear axles (RPO code G80)
Decent gas mileage for a vehicle its size

Grumpy has two rows of benches where the backs fold forward. I built a platform for the rear cargo area that's level with the folded seats and together with them form the base for my futon mattress. Under the platform there is plenty of space for tool and recovery gear, so much so that Grumpy often gets referred to as a rolling tool shed. By keeping the benches in and using a futon mattress, Grumpy retains the ability to transport up to eight people at any given time, however I usually cruise with it ready to transport five.

Roughknight69

I love my "marshmellow" styled rear seats i'm 6'1 and can sleep comfortably on the rear seats. Almost a better nights sleep then my bed. :ylsmoke:

Last edited:

matt s

Explorer
^Agreed.

At 5'9", I'm just short enough to fit in my '70 Blazer's 6' bed. The problem I'll be running into is having ventilation without letting in no-see-ems.

When I began searching for the rig I wanted to build, sleeping in it was #1 on my list of must haves.

Gotta second the K5. I'm 6'1" and I fit just fine in my 71 blazer. The actual bed measurement is 75 inches to the foot well for the forward seats. If you flip the passenger forward you get even more space. My buddy slept on that side and he is 6'9" and said he was just fine with his feet dangling in the passenger wheel well.

With my back seat folded flat I can lay down perfectly, if I rest my feet on my window sill. If I scoot and fold both front seats up/forward, and have the middle seat removed like I often do, I can actually get up and walk around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94