Too good to be true

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I found this on accident today and from what I can tell it is a real product (how they do the alcohol I haven't figure out), but I can't actually find anyone who actually sells it which makes me believe it might not be legit. Supposedly it is made by Katadyn, as in the company that made my water micro filter.

image-1751.jpg

BIGGUY

Adventurer
Can't read the packet in the picture, but I'm guessing that's wine powder. The place listed below sells three different kinds. They talk about using it for cooking which I've done and it works great. I've never tried to drink it though. They also have several other powdered products like soy sauce, honey, cheese, etc. The cheese powders are nice too. They are great people to work with and I've been buying spices through them for many years.

http://www.spicesetc.com/category/Specialty-Seasonings

BIGGUY

Adventurer
The picture enlarged just fine this time. I've done some searching as the company name sounded familiar. I found out that they are the company that makes the cheeseburger in a can that was all over the different forums a couple of years ago. As for the wine, I only found some threads from '08 just wondering about it, and only 1 review from '09 that the people actually tasted it. http://www.tgomagazine.co.uk/gear/accessories/foodcookwear/TREK-N-EAT-ALCOHOLIC-DRINK

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I kinda figured it might be disgusting. In my google searches I also found a powdered near-beer that got mixed reviews. These are cool ideas, they're just a little too far ahead of their time.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
And I'm still curious how they do powdered alcohol. You can't heat it to the point of reduction because you will lose your alcohol, and you can't just flat out dehydrate it because there would be nothing left in the end, so how do they do it?

ss_storm

"A representative of Katadyn's general management, Stefanie Dietrich, told Speigel, 'We are well aware that we're not even permitted to call the product wine. No grapes were used in its production, it's simply a product that is flavored to taste like wine"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles