New rider seeks input on purchase

Tim A

Adventurer
The one BIG thing I dont like about BMW bikes...ok, well 2 things..

1) everything for the bike must be BMW specific. Want to run a PIAA light set up? You gotta buy lights designed for the BMW...you cant just call up a retailer and order a set of piaas and toss them onto the bike. -I used to install PIAA light systems/Sat radios, GPS systems, etc. etc. on BMWs about 10 years ago. It was all proprietary to BMW (and costly)

2) which brings me to point #2. Go through and make a list of things you might want to do to a bike and compare them. -because these 'things' will come a long and it gets addicting. BMW bike stuff is expensive.

I noticed that on the HT site that they make way more stuff for the KLR vs. G650. I really like their racks/panniers. Having that much lockable, dry storage would be awesome.

Thanks for bringing up the above points Frank.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
The one BIG thing I dont like about BMW bikes...ok, well 2 things..

1) everything for the bike must be BMW specific. Want to run a PIAA light set up? You gotta buy lights designed for the BMW...you cant just call up a retailer and order a set of piaas and toss them onto the bike. -I used to install PIAA light systems/Sat radios, GPS systems, etc. etc. on BMWs about 10 years ago. It was all proprietary to BMW (and costly).

Pretty much everything out there is specific for an individual model of bike - regardless of make. Crash bars, skid plates, hard panniers, etc., are all made to fit a specific bike - that's not a BMW thing.

Universal parts & accessories (radios, lights, heated gear, communication equipment, etc) often requires brackets that are specific to the bike model. Again, it's not a BMW thing - it's a matter of getting a universal part to fit a specific application with minimal hassle for the owner/installer. I had a set of PIAA lights on my 650GS. The only thing that was specific to the BMW was the brackets. The lights & wiring harness were universal - it was just sold in a kit form rather than individual pieces. Want a GPS? Buy your favorite model and head over to the Ram-mount website - they've got a mounting solution for you. So does Touratech, and probably 3 or 4 others. Same thing with a sat. radio. I've had all of that - and none of it was proprietary to BMW.

Sure, you can go buy a BMW branded Garmin GPS (and lots of other BMW branded parts that are made by other companies) - but you aren't limited to those. There are plenty of other choices out there - even for the Can-Bus equipped bikes. The aftermarket is pretty strong for the BMWs.

One thing is for sure - none of it, for any bike, is cheap.

I noticed that on the HT site that they make way more stuff for the KLR vs. G650. I really like their racks/panniers. Having that much lockable, dry storage would be awesome.

Happy Trails specializes in KLR parts - naturally they have more KLR parts than BMW parts. They make good stuff, and yes - dry lockable storage is really nice to have, particularly for commuting.

When it comes to aftermarket support, KLRs are pretty good. There is a lot of really good stuff out there for them, coming from a lot of different companies.

One thing that I think KLR has the absolute best of, is public documentation of common problems and effective solutions. They just don't make many changes to the bikes - using the same parts year after year after year. This has allowed the owners groups to do a fantastic job documenting problems & coming up with solutions to them - and that's an incredibly valuable thing when you're broken down somewhere. I don't think any other bike can rival the KLR when it comes to that.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I had Hepco-Becker bars on my 650GS, and was really happy with them. They look a bit goofy (IMO), but they did a fantastic job of protecting the bike. I lost count of how many times I dropped that bike, all I ever broke were turn signals (which is easy to do on that bike). I don't recall the price on these - it was back in 2006 or early 2007.

On my 800GS, I have Adventure-Spec crash bars. Very happy with those too. They've been through hell, and have done a great job. I've bent them twice -- once from the right, once from the left (they're almost square again). Both hits were pretty hard - but nothing except the crash bars bent or broke, so IMO they did what they should have. The Adventure Spec guys are really good to work with, and their prices & shipping were very reasonable. Crash bars, bash plate, & luggage plate shipped from the UK to Tucson was a bit north of $500 in 2009 - and they showed up 3 days later via DHL.

I've never owned a 1200GS, so I don't have any experience with any crashbars for that one.

haven

Expedition Leader
"moving to Montana in a month"

I think part of the decision would be the dealer support near where you plan to live. No sense in bringing a BMW or KTM to a town where the only dealers are Kaw and Honda.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I think that would only bother me if I bought a new BMW since it has a 3 year warranty. If it is a used bike and you plan to do most work yourself, the lack of a dealer wouldn't bother me in the least. Parts are just a mouse click away and I would bet 98% of the issues ca be handled by any competent motorcycle mechanic.

I also have to disagree about the cost of BMW parts. My XChallenge has a GPS, heated grips, aux lights, cycra probends, etc and all are generic/universal. Yes, crash protection and racks are bike specific as Goodtimes said, but cost is similar. At least aftermarket - if it says BMW on it, you're going to pay a lot.

With all that said, don't think I'm pushing the BMW. I don't think there is a bad choice between pretty much all the 650 dual sports. They all have their differences and their pluses and minuses, but each one is a fine bike in its own right. For that matter, I would include the more "exotic" big thumpers too (Husky TE630, KTM, XChallenge). Maybe not quite the reliability of a DR or KLR, but pretty darn close, especially considering the performance gains.

But honestly, given how you clarified your riding ambitions, you may actually get more enjoyment out of a V-Strom or Versys . They're not a whole lot heavier than a KLR or G650GS and will handle highway much better. A 2012 ABS V-Strom for about $8K with 0% financing is a pretty compelling deal, IMHO. You can get a Versys under $7K.

Tim A

Adventurer
"moving to Montana in a month"

I think part of the decision would be the dealer support near where you plan to live. No sense in bringing a BMW or KTM to a town where the only dealers are Kaw and Honda.

Good point. I'll be buying the bike in or near MT so if it's a used bike I should make sure a factory service center is nearby.

I think that would only bother me if I bought a new BMW since it has a 3 year warranty. If it is a used bike and you plan to do most work yourself, the lack of a dealer wouldn't bother me in the least. Parts are just a mouse click away and I would bet 98% of the issues ca be handled by any competent motorcycle mechanic.

I also have to disagree about the cost of BMW parts. My XChallenge has a GPS, heated grips, aux lights, cycra probends, etc and all are generic/universal. Yes, crash protection and racks are bike specific as Goodtimes said, but cost is similar. At least aftermarket - if it says BMW on it, you're going to pay a lot.

With all that said, don't think I'm pushing the BMW. I don't think there is a bad choice between pretty much all the 650 dual sports. They all have their differences and their pluses and minuses, but each one is a fine bike in its own right. For that matter, I would include the more "exotic" big thumpers too (Husky TE630, KTM, XChallenge). Maybe not quite the reliability of a DR or KLR, but pretty darn close, especially considering the performance gains.

But honestly, given how you clarified your riding ambitions, you may actually get more enjoyment out of a V-Strom or Versys . They're not a whole lot heavier than a KLR or G650GS and will handle highway much better. A 2012 ABS V-Strom for about $8K with 0% financing is a pretty compelling deal, IMHO. You can get a Versys under $7K.

Thanks Marc. I hadn't checked out the Vstrom or Versys yet, but I will.

Tim A

Adventurer
Marc, looked at some reviews of the vstrom. Sounds like it's geared more towards interstates or high speed, long distance riding. Don't think that's what I want, but not sure. I'm looking at commuting on pavement, then riding off road on the weekends.

I may have some terminology mixed up so when I said I want to avoid single track, I mean tight trails. Wider (jeep) trails are good with me, not sure the vstrom or versus will excel there. Let me know what you guys think.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Marc, looked at some reviews of the vstrom. Sounds like it's geared more towards interstates or high speed, long distance riding. Don't think that's what I want, but not sure. I'm looking at commuting on pavement, then riding off road on the weekends.

I may have some terminology mixed up so when I said I want to avoid single track, I mean tight trails. Wider (jeep) trails are good with me, not sure the vstrom or versus will excel there. Let me know what you guys think.

I would use a V-strom or Versus on roads that are suitable for a typical passenger car. Maintained forest service roads, etc. If you're looking at things like unmaintained roads that you would want a (stock) high clearance 4x4 on, I'd lean more towards the KLR, GS, XL/XR, DR, etc. That's not to say that the 'strom of Versus isn't capable of those rougher roads -- there are just better options out there (IMO, of course).

Tim A

Adventurer
Right I think I would prefer to have a bike that could tackle a proper trail, my fault for not clarifying. Not ruling out the V strom or Versys though, I'll have to see/sit on one in person first.

Upon further reading, I see that the G650GS is fuel injected, while the KLR is carb'd. What's the real world return (if any) of a fuel injected bike? I'll have to sit on a G650 to see if it feels cramped like some reviewers felt. Also, the closest BMW dealer/service center will be 3 hrs away from the town I'll be living in, so that's not too bad but not ideal.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I think Goodtimes summed it up pretty well. Those bigger twin cylinder bikes are more or less dirt capable road bikes. The bigger single cylinder bikes (KLR, DR, G650) strike a pretty even balance (although they excel at neither). I addition, if you're riding trails where you may be dropping the bike, it's pretty difficult to keep picking up a 450 pound bike. But if you're talking a KLR or G650 with aluminum cases, you are approaching/exceeding that weight anyway and probably won't be taking that bike on crazy trails. That's sort of my rationale in considering a more street based bike. However, I REALLY enjoy riding my thumper on the street. There is something very visceral about riding a bike dirtbike on the street. Tall, light, windy - fun. But that fun diminishes quickly the more you go above 60.

I am VERY biased in favor of fuel injection. I'll let the detractors discuss the merits of carbs, but the benefits of FI just can't be beat, IMHO. The biggest advantages are cold starts and the ability to handle elevation changes. With a carb, you deal with a choke and an engine that runs like crap until it is warm. A carb gets jetted for a particular situation situation (elevation, temp). The further you get from that situation, the worse it runs. Sometimes an FI may have fueling issues early in its like, but usually gets corrected within a model year. And even then, it still runs better than a carbed bike. (some of the 2001-2 F650s are known FI issues).

I'm not saying I would never buy a carbed bike (I'd have a DR650 if I didn't buy my G650X). Carbs are tried and true - but they're also very old tech. FI has been around for years and is reliable. But you're going to pay more for it. But I also get 55 mpg on my 50+HP G650X. A KLR, with 35 HP, probably gets about 45 mpg. I believe the G650GS generally sees over 60mpg with 48HP.

Last edited:

Frank

Explorer
Take a good look at the location of the oil filter and exhaust on the strom and think rocks, getting stuck on a log while going around a huge mud hole, etc. if you would like a picture, let me know lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tim A

Adventurer
Yeah I did notice the exhaust and the lack of a skid plate. Also their website doesn't fully load for some reason and that is annoying, but it may be my computer.

Marc, thanks to you for pointing out the EFI aspect of these bikes. I didn't even think about the benefits of EFI. About a year ago, I bought a non-running 97 Yamaha XJ600 from a friend who needed it gone. The carbs were all jacked up and I tried working on them, got frustrated and gave up. Sold it. Also, altitude changes are going to be a consideration too since I'll be out west, driving through or in the mountains. So for me EFI is a huge draw.

I think I need to make a spreadsheet to compare the bikes I'm looking at :). Seems like the euro bikes are mostly EFI, but I still have lots of online research to do. You guys are a big help and I appreciate it.

Last edited:
A

agavelvr

I'm no expert and a total noob. However, I went through the same process you are facing back in October. For about 5 grand, I picked up a lightly farkled used klr, sourced luggage, and got a full set of riding gear. I would have spent over $7000 for a similarly equipped BMW, which I almost did. I have rode from 500' to 8000' on the klr and not regretted the lack of efi. Considering happy trails and a small army of carb bikes roam the region you are moving to, I have to wonder if efi is really a big deal for your situation.

Want to see what happens when a noob tackles challenging trails on a klr?
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/70118

I'm sure I would have had a great time on any bike, but that trip demonstrated that the klr can handle all I plan on throwing at it, even with stock suspension. The money I saved by going for the klr basically goes towards paying off my wife for tolerating my adventure tendencies :)

Hope it helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier