Is purchasing a Hannibal in the US dead

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
It seems the only Hannibal distributor in the US does not have any stock and does not have any containers planned. Does this mean that Hannibals are not longer being imported? Will we have to purchase direct and just pay huge shipping fees?

Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I don't know but I just went on the HannibalUsa.com site and received a bunch of IP attack, blocked by Symantec. Not sure if it was related or a coincidence.

Airmonger

Adventurer
When I called Sierra4x4 last week I was told more would be in two month from now and that they just got a flood of orders that wiped them out recently.

TCM

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0006
I spoke directly with Chris this week and I was told he had no stock and was keeping it that way because he was in negotiations to sell the Hannibal Distribution agreement to another party. Chris said he wanted to keep stock at a minimum because it would make it easier for someone else to take over distribution without having to buy a large quantity of existing inventory. He was quite frank about it and seemed to have recently decided it was time to move on from Hannibal.

Given that I was serious about getting a 1.2 meter Hannibal tent, I contacted Hannibal directly in South Africa and was given a price quote of $1400 plus $670 for air freight to Colorado. By comparison a 1.2 meter Eezi Awn from Paul at Equipt is $2000 plus a minimum of $150 in freight. The price for a 1.2m Hannibal from Chris at Sierra was $1500 so the Hannibal is certainly a better value than the Eezi Awn if he actually had tents to sell. But in my opinion the Hannibal and Eezi awn tents are of equal quality by any measure and paying the roughly $2100 for either seems reasonable under the circumstances. I just happen to prefer Hannibal, one because I already have a Hannibal awning that is just brilliant. And two, according to the Overland Journal review from the spring 2007 issue, the Hannibal is 2" thinner than the Eezi Awn when stowed and also weighs 27 pounds less (85 vs. 112). These are very important considerations for my application.

loren85022

Explorer
Its good to hear changes are in pending for Hannibal-USA, as I need a very small inexpensive replacement part and have given up on Sierra. Hopefully the mothership is watching and can get/keep the ball rolling.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
The concept of "selling" an agreement is bs. A distribution agreement is not the property of a dealer/distributor to "sell". I can't remember all the times I had to disappoint the new owner of a dealership who was told by the previous owner he's good to go. There are many factors that go into a distribution agreement especially if the distributor has a line of credit with the manufacturer.

TCM

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0006
I agree. When a manufacturer changes distributors it usually ends the existing relationship, often on bad terms, and then they select a new distributor after a lengthy vetting process. The bottom line is that Hannibal has no distribution in the US right now.

Hafwit

Adventurer
The fact that Hannibal awnings are so desirable and unique shouldn't go unnoticed. Perhaps a U.S.-based company (hint...hint) will step up to the plate and make an awning of similar design and quality that doesn't require poles or other support. If they did so at a reasonable cost, I'm sure they could do quite well. I for one would be very interested. We might even be able to put together a group buy to get them motivated.

Cheers,
Greg

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Hannibal has had multiple representatives over the years in the US. The ones that I am aware of were Rover Accessories, Hannibal USA, then Sierra took that over. There may have been others. The lack of consistency may be why there is is a lack of post sale product support.

fifty

Adventurer
That kind of thing is why I won't buy a hannibal product. I am glad I saw this. I would hate to buy a product, have an issue, then have to wait months for replacement parts. God forbid a warranty return where a replacement was warranted.

Anyways, when the time cOmes to purchase one, it will be of a company that has its feet firmly
Planted here in the USA.

corbin8or

Adventurer
Ok, with this thread I will announce that I am in the design and fab stages of releasing a hannibal style awning soon! I hope to have a prototype at OX. It will have some interesting features...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles