Two Aux Tanks for the JK

JDaPP

Adventurer
Don't really 'need' lots of things I put on my jeep, but this is the path I am interested in taking. You can chock it up to preparedness, desire to avoid gas stations or the fact that I may not always explore only in the US. Thanks for the feedback.

Septu

Explorer
Don't really 'need' lots of things I put on my jeep, but this is the path I am interested in taking. You can chock it up to preparedness, desire to avoid gas stations or the fact that I may not always explore only in the US. Thanks for the feedback.

Agree completely. If you find a way of getting this done, let us know. I've settled on having to get the GenRight, but would prefer the LR.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Haha

I have tons of things I don't need too, don't get me wrong! ;) Not trying to hate on the idea I'm just trying to think more practically for what I have going on. I truly am just thinking "out loud".

I'm just getting more weight conscious with mine, the j30 top isn't real light, steel bumper, winch etc. Mine sits at around 5400 with me, gas, tools, compressor and no camping gear. I'm hoping for a new rear bumper with carrier, dual batteries, awning and a bunch more. I would love to have that long range tank from arb, and at least the weight is low and central with that one. It's all just a balance! I personally would rather stuff some air tanks in the back and keep the factory rear sway bar (lots of weight up high on mine).

Either way, practically speaking I don't see why you couldn't run both. Just a little more work planning the integration of the tanks if it makes sense for you. Good progressive springs and heavy duty shocks, heavy duty track bar etc. The exhaust is going to have to be an afterthought and custom no matter what though.

JDaPP

Adventurer
No worries. I seriously did appreciate the input, because I have never looked at it as a custom exhaust, so that actually gave me a different thought direction. So here are my thoughts so far:
Start with tank issue under the midsection first.
- I can move resonator forward, see if I can get a custom tank to fit in that area that facilitates a new exhaust to free up the rear. Questions I have are what effect moving resonator will have, and if I can find a muffler that will fit and give me close to stock noise. Additional dumb question would be if I could use a combination of mufflers to achieve a result (thinking glasspack, plus smaller muffler on back side of axle) or would that create too much back pressure?
- second option I have found is http://www.longrangeautomotive.com....gler-jk-lwb-petrol-36lt-2011-on.html?sef=hcfp
I sent emails to the company and US distributor. US guy is on a trip apparently, but the flyer the company sent me looks like it will hold 15 gallons, costs around $1150 (base price, not shipped) and does not look like it requires any changes to the exhaust (I can send the flyer if anyone wants it, just PM your email address). Hopefully US distributer can give me more info when he gets back.
- For the rear tank I am leaning towards http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51061
For right now I am leaning towards doing this in stages, probably solve middle first, then rear. But I am going to sit down with my father in law as he works on custom cars to see if he has some ideas.
Again open to any ideas on my random thoughts.

aluke0510

Adventurer
Do you really need 800+ mile range in the continental US? I'd love to have a little more range as well, but two tanks? Cost, weight and complexity issues all come to mind.

You can relocate the evap canister, mount everything up and the exhaust would be custom. Fit the largest muffler you can with the space left. Personally I could think of a thousand different ways to spend that money on the jeep that would be very functional as opposed to toting around 55(?) gallons of fuel. Ive been all over the NW and SW tons of miles off road and never needed the 2 gallons I carry in a rotopax container. Again I would love some more fuel but I really think two aux tanks is overkill for someone in the states. Just thinking out loud...

That depends on how you travel. I like to base camp in an area for 2weeks for photography so it is a real benefit to not needing to come out to resupply and refuel... This is where diesel is a benefit.

However, as a negative to diesel the engines generally weigh more for comparable power so you eat up payload with the engine. On the other hand you carry less fuel. I looked at a diesel conversion on my jeep, the payload savings by less fuel vs the increase in engine weight is equal at 700mile range, anything over that is payload positive with the diesel. Therefore, it is hard to justify the cost of a diesel conversion; would take 10yrs to pay for it from fuel savings and a negative since I wouldn't really net much increase in payload... Plus the potential difficulty of reimporting if taken overseas. But I am rambling off topic here.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
You could always call Benjamin Meddows at Outback Proven in Las Vegas. He has a tank that will fit a 2012 and up 3.6l Jeep JKU with no exhaust mods. It's from LRA in Australia and holds 18 gallons. That's plenty of extra fuel for the western US and this is what I plan to do.

Septu

Explorer
You could always call Benjamin Meddows at Outback Proven in Las Vegas. He has a tank that will fit a 2012 and up 3.6l Jeep JKU with no exhaust mods. It's from LRA in Australia and holds 18 gallons. That's plenty of extra fuel for the western US and this is what I plan to do.

I'm certain thats the Long Ranger, and doesn't fit the 2012 due to the new evap location and exhaust changes. A Long Ranger could be made to fit, it's just that some changes would need to be made.

aluke0510

Adventurer
What engine/trans combo were you looking at? Approximate price?

You mean when you bring it back from the trip to it's original country?
If it's registered in the original country, there is no re-import.

-Dan

This is fairly off topic now...

I have a CJ8. I looked at a couple Mercedes diesel options using both the stock transmission/transfer case and mercedes automatic as well as the Toyota 13BT and 1HDT (1HDT would require a transmission upgrade). Prices ranged from 10k to 25k.

Yeah no problem other than my state of residence only allows me to register the vehicle for 1yr between renewals. No problem taking it to Canada or Mexico. Shipping it to Australia, Bolivia, Mongolia, etc. to use for an extended time then shipping it back I can see it having issues when it arrives at a port of entry with no current registration and a non stock equivalent motor. I would have to do a lot of research into it before I tried it...

But for those of you with modern Wranglers you could get a diesel as well. There is no reason you can't pull the diesel engine/transmission from a scrapped one in other areas of the world (Africa, Australia, Europe, etc.). Would take a bit of research as to what all the components you would need to select (computer, vacuum lines, wiring harness, gauges, etc.); but, no reason you can't pull a diesel from a wrangler to put into yours. I highly doubt that it can't be done up to easily work perfect just like from the factory.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I'm certain thats the Long Ranger, and doesn't fit the 2012 due to the new evap location and exhaust changes. A Long Ranger could be made to fit, it's just that some changes would need to be made.

No,
It's the LRA tank, and it's built for a 2012 up petrol engine, so there's no exhaust mods to make. Like I said, give him a call. I researched this because I didn't want to spend all that money and then have to modify my Jeep extensively to use it. The only think that changes with the LRA tank is the evap location. The resonator remains in it's stock location and you get a new filler similar to the Long Ranger. FWIW, Front Runner builds a tank as well, and it's a ton cheaper, but it's not currently being imported from South Africa. I emailed Outback Proven and they claimed to have a tank for my JKU in stock.

JDaPP

Adventurer
That is the tank I was referring too in my earlier post. I did try to contact Benjamin through the portal and email with no luck, the gentleman from Australia sent me a flyer and said Benjamin is out of town, so hopefully he can respond when he gets back. In the flyer it specifically says no exhaust modification (I can forward the flyer if someone wants to see it). My question is cost and the other factor will be if it leaves me any room to adjust exhaust to support the second tank, but I am highly interested in it.

I've played with fitting both the JK and the JKU tanks in a JKU frame in addition to a TJ rear mounted tank. While my application is a little different you can make them fit. You cannot use a second JK tank on the drivers side as was mentioned though. They are molded around the crossmember.

But that begs the question why you really NEED almost 70 gallons of fuel in a JK....

two door vs 4 door

and arrangement of both tanks keeping in mind the rear half of my frame has been um... adjusted :)

The stock crossmember is still there though and that would be the JK locating point. Excuse the blurry photos.

Septu

Explorer
^^^ Maybe I'm missing something... but where was the 2nd tank in those photos? I saw what I assumed was the skid plate for one at the rear (like the Genright tank), but no tank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier