Two Aux Tanks for the JK

Jorsn

Adventurer
Does anyone know if it's possible to run two auxiliary fuel tanks on the JK? I'm speaking of the Long Ranger tank and the Gen Right tank.

I'm just thinking how one would run all of the wiring and plumbing.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
They make a 2-door version of the long ranger fuel tank....actually a few different versions.

I don't know how I would wire it all up. The easy answer would be to use a simple compact transfer pump from the aux tanks to the main tank. It would be the most primitive system, but would also only require one expensive fuel sending unit and pump to the engine. I believe the long ranger tank is smaller than the factory tank. You could basically run the factory tank down to 1/8 of a tank or so, then transfer the full amount from the Long ranger to the factory tank without fear of overfilling the factory tank. The gen-right tank is a little bigger than the factory 2-door tank I think....and maybe about the same size as the 4-door tank.....I think unless you where careful you might run the risk of overfilling the factory tank.

I think you could probably wire up two tanks with an electric selector for two factory sending units in the factory tank and gen right tank to give a little redundancy in critical engine systems. The downside being that you are introducing a lot of new leak and faliure points with the transfer valve. The transfer valve has to handle not only a pressurized fuel line, but also a return line going to the correct tank.

The simple route with just a transfer pump seems the best option to me....

I wish someone would make a rear mounted tank that would not require you to remove the rear floor sump area.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I'm still wondering about installing a 2nd stock tank on the other side of the driveshaft (in the same place the long ranger goes)

Can anyone get a price on a stock tank? (or I imagine you could find one off a wreck)

Obviously still needs wiring and a transfer pump.

-Dan

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I was thinking about that the other day also. I think the major reason you don't see a 2nd stock tank is that there is no room for the exhaust pipe, and if you could squeeze the exhaust pipe in there its going to be very close to a plastic fuel tank.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I was thinking about that the other day also. I think the major reason you don't see a 2nd stock tank is that there is no room for the exhaust pipe, and if you could squeeze the exhaust pipe in there its going to be very close to a plastic fuel tank.

I assume long ranger get away with it because the tank is not plastic?

I'd want a metal skid on the tank anyway (like the stock one), so you could make sure the skid separates the pipe and tank.... but it would probably still see some heat.

-Dan

Jorsn

Adventurer

I'd want a metal skid on the tank anyway (like the stock one), so you could make sure the skid separates the pipe and tank.... but it would probably still see some heat.

-Dan

They get away with it because their tank is smaller than the factory tank. So they leave a few inches between the frame rail and the tank to route the exhaust. Plus they have a heat shield.

toymaster

Explorer
OK, I guess I have not kept up with the tank situation. Last thing I knew the LR only made the large tank. I have a question though. If you use both of them where does a muffler go?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
OK, I guess I have not kept up with the tank situation. Last thing I knew the LR only made the large tank. I have a question though. If you use both of them where does a muffler go?

Straight pipe with the diesel wouldn't sound bad :)

Metcalf

Expedition Leader

-Dan

The long ranger has a section cut out for the tailpipe to run along, and yes, its metal so it doesn't have as much of a heat issue.

jomobco

Now Decanter
How long does it take to transfer a full tank of spare fuel from the long ranger to the main tank?

Edit: I answered my own question with a search. 1.7 LPM or about 25 minutes for the JKU. I thought my pump was broken :)

Last edited:

JDaPP

Adventurer
So I would like to try and figure out how to do this. I have a 2012 jku, so the exhaust is an issue. My thoughts are to move the resonator forward and relocate the evaporator. What do I do for the muffler? I want it to perform as close as possible to the stock exhaust (needs to be similar in level of sound, or boss will not approve). Additionally I am a Florida resident, but I am in the Navy and may get stationed in San Diego, so I will have to pass a California smog check for base access.
Instead of the long ranger, there is a place up the road that makes custom aluminum gas tanks, so I think I might can get something that will fit in the space based on what I can do with the exhaust. On jkforum there is a partial write up on using a TJ tank as an aux tank in the back, but that brings up my next question on the best way to plumb it all up. My thought is to run everything to empty into the factory tank. Figure I can use factory filler for two tanks and then a separate filler for the third, but I am open to any ideas as this certainly is not my specialty.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
So I would like to try and figure out how to do this. I have a 2012 jku, so the exhaust is an issue. My thoughts are to move the resonator forward and relocate the evaporator. What do I do for the muffler? I want it to perform as close as possible to the stock exhaust (needs to be similar in level of sound, or boss will not approve). Additionally I am a Florida resident, but I am in the Navy and may get stationed in San Diego, so I will have to pass a California smog check for base access.
Instead of the long ranger, there is a place up the road that makes custom aluminum gas tanks, so I think I might can get something that will fit in the space based on what I can do with the exhaust. On jkforum there is a partial write up on using a TJ tank as an aux tank in the back, but that brings up my next question on the best way to plumb it all up. My thought is to run everything to empty into the factory tank. Figure I can use factory filler for two tanks and then a separate filler for the third, but I am open to any ideas as this certainly is not my specialty.

Do you really need 800+ mile range in the continental US? I'd love to have a little more range as well, but two tanks? Cost, weight and complexity issues all come to mind.

You can relocate the evap canister, mount everything up and the exhaust would be custom. Fit the largest muffler you can with the space left. Personally I could think of a thousand different ways to spend that money on the jeep that would be very functional as opposed to toting around 55(?) gallons of fuel. Ive been all over the NW and SW tons of miles off road and never needed the 2 gallons I carry in a rotopax container. Again I would love some more fuel but I really think two aux tanks is overkill for someone in the states. Just thinking out loud...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles