FJ40 steering slop.

DIHOWARD

My 78 FJ40 has a small amount of play in the steering at the wheel. What is the most likely cause of this play. all the ball joints feel good, how can i check the steering box if I don't have someone to help out?

Expedition Leader
How much play at the wheel? They all have some play at the wheel, being as how they are old-fashioned worm-drive steering gears, not rack and pinion.

Expedition Leader
2" 5-10 degrees is normal and safe (as long as your tie rod ends are OK). It just feels scary until you get used to it, if you're used to modern rack and pinion steering.

DIHOWARD

I'm fine with it, Ive driven vehicles that are alot worse. My wife thinks it's unsafe. I told her that it just takes some getting used to.
I am guessing that the bellcrank joint is the cylindrical unit that 's attatched to the frame just behind the front bumper on the drivers side. I have seen rebuild kits, they have a cone shaped shaft and a spring or two. I could handle that no problem.
Thanks for the expertise and advice.

DIHOWARD

Any tips on adjusting said steering arm. I did a search and was unable to find any instruction.
from what I can see from the kit photo, the top cap is threaded, do I tighten the cap? If so, how much. I assume that I will know if I over-tighten it.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
The Factory Service Manual has the protocol for tightening the center arm assembly and it does work assuming your center arm 'cup' and 'cone' still have some appreciable amount of life left in them. It is a wear item and thus will eventually need to be replaced. I'll try and remember to grab the FSM and post the instructions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles