Propane adapter for propane/butane stoves

Treenail

Adventurer
Not horizontal!

I have a two burner Coleman stove and it has a solid tube stove/fuel bottle connector that holds the fuel bottle at about a thirty degree angle.

Tom

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
propane adapter

I did my test and think this adapter will work out well. I had to make an adapter hose so the 16 oz tank would stand up. I purchased an Coleman 8 ft propane hose , a 1/4 " brass barb, two 1/4" hose clamps and cut the hose to 28" end to end.

I hooked it up to my Snowpeak Baja stove and it worked. The adapter has an adjustment that I will have to fine tune in the field.

I also purchased an 10" extension for my Coleman Element latern that will be very praticial

Attachments

• IMG_2000.jpg
    IMG_2000.jpg
    523.7 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_2001.jpg
    IMG_2001.jpg
    510.4 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_2002.jpg
    IMG_2002.jpg
    537.5 KB · Views: 92

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
How has your adapter been working out? Stove work okay running on propane?

Crom

The adapters are difficult to source. I've only ever seen them on eBay. I'd like to have one to use with my jet boil, but I'll be honest, I'm a little scared to the be the first to try it. The jet boil mounts directly to the adapter so no remote fuel source in my proposed application.

Crom

Well, add me to the list of happy owners. I got mine earlier in the week. Imported directly from Korea. I'm very pleased as well. Excellent quality. Thanks OP!

20130318_214628.jpg

tibfibber

Observer
I got my Kovea adaptors at EE (expedition exchange) in So Cal.

Working great, extremely sold adapter. The butane one is lighter, and has a simple twist/lock.

Attachments

• tfp-4823.jpg
    tfp-4823.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 76
  • tfp-4821.jpg
    tfp-4821.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 75

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I never thought of a Butane adapter. How does Butane compare to propane? To the standard gas?

Last edited:

trailscape

Explorer
I just picked up this adapter and I'm trying to figure out if I can set the baja burner in the IGT and connect the 16oz cylinder. I don't see any simple way to do this, but I'm new to all this snow peak stuff. :)

soul

Observer
Bit late for the reply, but thought of replying anyways. Butane-Propane mix is popular in Asia, advantages is convenient and small size cans, around 12% more heat in same volume and is cheaper (based on source, typical Asian stores). For around same volume, the cost could be almost half depending on the source.

The disadvantage being its boiling point is lower (32 deg F), versus Propane which is -44 deg F. So below boiling point it will be in liquid form, so difficult to burn through standard burners. Typically you will see all butane burners having the feed tube heated around the burner, which helps in feeding the burner with gas instead of liquid.

Using the Kovea adapter, you can have best of both worlds.

madmax718

Explorer
I have always wondered the availability of the butane canisters outside of asia- and asian grocers.

I have literally used one of these for a year- they are awesome. Best part is that it keeps the canisters in their proper position.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Triangle-Th...332?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item257ecd282c

the issue I have with the small adapters is that the direction of the canister is not accurate or correct for proper alignment of the vent tube. The notch is supposed to be in the "up" position, as the mfg had designed them to work, laying on their side. I think the main difference is that if you keep it in some other directions, its now becoming a liquid feed, instead of a gas feed. I would think if your stove is designed for inverted cartridge use, this would not be an issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles