JK Tailgate Tables - The lowdown

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
It’s right on 1.25”, but this lip is going to be the issue I think. Unless you can mount the shock slightly higher. Let me know if you need any other measurements or pics.

01da9fc8ddfa12fb397ac9a33e6967ae.jpg
Thanks dude. went camping this week and didn't really miss a table on the rear gate. If I do, I will certainly reach out for a measurement or two.

'Preciate it!

uberhahn

Observer
How did you fasten your indexing pin to the aluminum z-track? Did you just thread in through the alum with some glue? Given not a lot of thread engagement, have you had any issues? Building mine now.

86scotty

Cynic
OP, you forgot the Front Runner. It's what I went with. I would prefer to make my own but free time is short these days. At $129 it's the cheapest one and has every option I need. You DO have to shave off the rear edge of the wood slide out about 6 inches off one end to get it to slide the correct way for a Jeep door (to the right).
The build is solid, the hardware is crap. The mounting instructions are crap. Otherwise, once you realize that for $129 you'll be having to get crafty, it is perfect. I'll post a pic soon but probably not needed. Website pics show everything you need to know.

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.c...1QJ8bVlWe97zBWLofnTvCZvazNQCUrAxoCAQ0QAvD_BwE

Outdoorsben

Observer
I have the Bestop Roughrider Tailgate table for my JKU and have been pretty happy with it. I like the factory finish on it compared to most other brands. There is 1 weak spot if you are in cold weather. The lower tab that holds the auto deploying bar can/will snap in the cold. Can be fixed easily enough but just giving a downside. It'll throw some pictures up tomorrow when it gets light out.

Saev

Observer
I made mine out of an old aluminum shelf and steel wire from and old bike, then I cover it with a carbon fiber decal and spend less than 5 bucks for it, works great for my coleman stove and no rattle??

uberhahn

Observer
I copied Jacob's design. Pretty much everything except I used plywood vs Starboard, and I didn't buy z-track. Here is a video.

Crappy editing (no editing), but a different view.

Thank you Jacob for sharing on here.

TrailDude22

Reviving this thread again to share my DIY JK Tailgate Table. I was about to purchase one and maybe make my own cutting board to make it a little unique. But after reviewing this topic/thread I got lots of inspiration and ideas to build my own. The material is mostly stainless steel with the exception of the 1x aluminum frame. I mounted it with a piano hinge and its held closed with a couple of index pin plungers. My favorite feature is the soft open gas struts. They offer a elegant way to open the tailgate table and I haven't seen this offering by any of the tailgate table manufacturers. Lastly, I built a cutting board out of walnut and maple. It's mostly 3/4" thick, except where I had to narrow it up in the front and back where it slides I was going to add a light for cooking in the dark but my Coleman Stove lid when open is higher than the tailgate table back. If I can come up with another clean solution maybe It can still be added?

Attachments

• IMG_1667.JPEG
    IMG_1667.JPEG
    2.6 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1675.JPEG
    IMG_1675.JPEG
    2.8 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3726.MOV
    536.9 KB

TrailDude22

After a few years I decided to update the tailgate table, both functionally and aesthetically. I added an LED light and pin stripped some topo terrain

Attachments

• topo 4.jpg
    topo 4.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 13

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles