JK Tailgate Tables - The lowdown

Espo78

Adventurer
Personally I would have installed it to match the Jeep. You can always level the Jeep out at camp, you will almost never park on perfectly level ground anyway.

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Hi

I ordered the Trailgater from US to Sweden. Someone wanted 320 dollars for only the shipment, I found another one that could ship it for 120 dollars.

I have a 2 door and a small fridge in the rear so I have no space for molle bags etc so I went with a large table that I can put my stove on and prepare food on. I hope it will fit.

Article here

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/154_1301_outback_adventure_products_trailgater/viewall.html

Picture from the internet

154_1301_01-have_table_will_travel-loaded_outback_adventure_products_table.jpg

no-subject.jpg

Last edited:

hollaback55

Explorer
that's the trailgater i believe. i plan on getting one in the next few months. love the wood slide out feature for extended workspace.

Justincredible

Adventurer
Personally I would have installed it to match the Jeep. You can always level the Jeep out at camp, you will almost never park on perfectly level ground anyway.

Honestly, I didn't realize what I'd done until it was too late.
I'm used to working with wood where you measure, check if it's level, mark, and double check.

ZMagic97

Explorer
I have a table in my 2 door JK and believe it was a great investment. I too have a fridge, so I have little floor space. The able is great for cooking and using as a workspace. I have a new above the rear for my sleeping bags and pillows. If it's just me I have enough room to sleep in the back, if with another I have my tent in a duffle bag on the floor besides the fridge..

expdnJP

I built my based on plexiglass sheet and square tubes. This is the low cost project and fun of DIY. The area on tailgate, above the table—when folded up—is needed to install the tailgate holder strut. This will be my next project to prevent the tailgate from closing when parked on uneven surfaces.

TailgateTrayTable02-big.jpg

TailgateTrayTable03-big.jpg

D

Deleted member 48574

Matthew,

Whats the rattle like on that one, if any? Looks really good, and I plan to build my own also so I was wondering how you overcame the vibration issue.

Regards
Craig

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
One of the reasons I chose the Rock-Slide Engineering Tailgate Table is because it does not hinder the use of the Dominion OffRoad HD Tailgate Strut Kit from JeepSWAG.

Folded:
tailgate1_zps443caec6.jpg

Opened:
tailgate2_zpsa6aec761.jpg

The dual table levels really gives a lot of room to work on your lunch at the side of the trail where horizontal surfaces are precious.

This table's presumed downside is that it would probably rattle when closed because the multiple layers of aluminum plate are somewhat loose when in the folded position. This hasn't been a problem for me since my Quadratec cargo liner presses up against the bottom of the table when the tailgate is shut, which keeps everything completely quiet. You could always stick some small rubber furniture bumpers between the layers of folded aluminum, like these:

rubberbumper.JPG

expdnJP

Matthew,

Whats the rattle like on that one, if any?

I was worried about the rattle; this is why I decided not to use a metal latch. I use a Velcro strap to keep table in closed position. Plexiglass sheet does not touch any metal surface on the tailgate. Vibrations are not to be avoided, but plexiglass vibrates without any contact with other objects—rattle noise is not present. Only thin steel wire touches plexiglass and plastic cover on the tailgate, but I do not hear any noise from it.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
I'll try to remember to get a measurement for you when I get home from work, but it's not much. Should be under 1.5 inches.

dstock

Explorer
I'll try to remember to get a measurement for you when I get home from work, but it's not much. Should be under 1.5 inches.

Thanks, I'm trying to juggle some distances between my Tuffy Security deck bits and ARB fridge and the tailgate. Looks like a great table!

D

Deleted member 48574

I was worried about the rattle; this is why I decided not to use a metal latch. I use a Velcro strap to keep table in closed position. Plexiglass sheet does not touch any metal surface on the tailgate. Vibrations are not to be avoided, but plexiglass vibrates without any contact with other objects—rattle noise is not present. Only thin steel wire touches plexiglass and plastic cover on the tailgate, but I do not hear any noise from it.

Thanks Matthew! Thats a great idea. I like that method a lot.

Regards
Craig

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
Thanks, I'm trying to juggle some distances between my Tuffy Security deck bits and ARB fridge and the tailgate. Looks like a great table!

It looks like it's right at 1.5 inches or so deep from the metal surface of the tailgate. Remember that the plastic trim piece stands 1/4-inch off the metal surface.
The R-SE table doesn't extend any deeper than the tailgate strut does, so as long as you have a gas strut opener, you're not losing any cargo depth by having the tray table installed.

table_zps4e516b64.jpg

dstock

Explorer
It looks like it's right at 1.5 inches or so deep from the metal surface of the tailgate. Remember that the plastic trim piece stands 1/4-inch off the metal surface.
The R-SE table doesn't extend any deeper than the tailgate strut does, so as long as you have a gas strut opener, you're not losing any cargo depth by having the tray table installed.

Great, thanks for this!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles