Bumper Stingers. worth it or not?

just eric

Adventurer
Just wondering what people thing about "stingers" on jeeps that aren't intended as rock crawlers. I have a 2012 Rubi and will be adding a bumper that can hold my winch. I have all but settled on the MetalCloak frame built bumper with the 60" side covers. Just can't decide if the mid stinger is a good idea or just a feel good, hood ornament.

What do you think?

3113-5T.jpeg

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
My understanding was that stingers were built for desert racers. On sand and dirt roads you kick up a lot of dust and can't see who's behind you, so if you are the guy pulling up behind someone you used your stinger to give them a tap to let them know you are about to pass. Thats just the story I heard though.

just eric

Adventurer
Makes sense. I had an ARB bullbar on my last rig (FJ Cruiser) and liked the piece of mind it gave me when driving through deer country at night. Can't help but think the stinger while not full coverage like the ARB, would offer some level of protection.

forsakenfuture

Explorer
In the rockcrawling world they are meant to keep and vehicle from going end over end and protecting the radiator during a roll. The fad as sort of come and gone. Also, there is a reason people call them "********** bars". I would pass on having one.

Patman

Explorer
Pushbars are for bumping in the desert (look at most pro desert trucks, no stingers)

Stingers are generally there for looks, but are intended to protect the front end in a slow speed rollover. Basically if you draw a line between the tip of the stinger and the front hoop of the cage, anything inside that line is theoretcally protected from getting crushed. Assuming of course that your lucky enough not to stradle a rock with with the stinger/cage.

I've seen people roll in the rocks and only scratch their stinger and front hoop. Many rock racers also use the extended "lever" afforded by the stinger to help their spotter keep the front end down on steep climbs.

If you like it, get it. If you're wondering if you need it, you don't.:D

KJP

My first post on this site (long term lurker) and decided I'd comment here. A front stinger is primarily designed to prevent a forward roll on steep descents. Often folks are putting them on just for looks without knowing their purpose, however I have seen them work admirably in more extreme rock crawling. Think of a situation where you take a very steep ledge and your wheelbase causes your rear end to be near the top of the ledge just as your front end hits the bottom (or close to that). The compression of your front end as it hits bottom may cause an unload in the rear pitching you forward - the stinger will either prevent a forward roll, or will cause your forward roll to tilt so that you don't land fully on your lid but more to the side. I've seen them work, and if you're into that type of action you'll never regret having it. However, if you don't think you'll be there - then it's up to you whether it's for looks or not.

On the other hand, you can go with a grill loop which is designed to protect your radiator and grill in the event of a rollover, much like what Patman explained.

Hope that helps. End of my first post - carry on then LOL.

just eric

Adventurer
I thought about the loop but the one offered with this bumper isn't big enough to protect the whole grill and leaves the winch totally exposed. At least the stinger covers the majority of the vitals.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I love my ARB for the simple fact that it protects the front of my Jeep, been on for 11 years and has saved my butt a few times even though I have no winch. I have hit birds and a coyote and pushed it over numerous rocks with just needing to be repainted every few years. Even flopped it on its side once and the bumper made the difference between driving it out and a $300 tow bill. Don't get the stinger unless you have a real crawler, but do opt for a bar that protects the radiator and headlights.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I vote no....

Most stingers I see, especially the ones that just extend from the front or top of the bumper do not have enough structure to really hold up the weight of a vehicle trying to nose over.

The other interesting thing that generally happens with a stinger sometimes is that when you go onto the nose, if the vehicle has any kind of side to side momentum you generally end up twisting over the stinger and the vehicle lands on its side or worse.

Keep it simple, keep it light, and keep it low to the ground. You can't really go wrong with that.

Shortpipes

KD0TRP
I had a stinger for a short time, it got in the way more than you would expect. I went for a grille bar from jeeptubes.com and I'm happy with it. It offers radiator protection without adding length to the jeep. I tied it in to the tube fenders for extra strength.

mwaltd

Observer
i like mine though it is a shorter than most. it makes hauling trees round easier

photobucket-2969-1334873826340.jpg

IMG_0146-1.jpg

Cityslicker

Observer
Stingers are wiggity wack yo... I'm anti so my opinion is HELLS NAW YO. that ish aint worth nuffin. theys bunk buddy buddy.

BlackClassic

If Not Now When?
Like everybody said they are good for rock crawling but hey if you want on get it. I have thought of one or pre runner bars too. The only draw back to the stinger though it may not be so heavy its still added wait to the front. Good Luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles