Thule Trailers - Experience?

mixedgasdiver

My neighbor is looking to sell his Thule Trailer for $700.00.

http://www.thuletrailers.com/fw/main/N1205-41.html?ModKey=mk$cmsc&LayoutID=9&CntID=118

It's in almost perfect condition and came from his Father's estate. I was thinking that after a suspension/wheel update it could be a reasonable place to start for a light duty expedition trailer. The only issue I'm seeing right off is access to the trailer via the flip up lid once a roof top tent is installed over the top. With that being the exception - I'm wondering if anyone has experience with these trailers? How well do they hold up? How well to the tow with a reasonable load?

Thanks,

Rob

Nuclear Redneck

Adventurer
Hi! Welcome to the board.

While I've never used a Thule trailer, I would be concerned about the size of the tires. But, I see that you are already planning on addressing that. I would think that the trailer itself would be a decent start.

Cheers,

mixedgasdiver

That would actually be the first thing I would swap out. The trailer sat in his dad's side yard for a while and the tires are toast - both flat and no hopes of being pumped up. I'd love to throw some stuff in it and tow it around, but he's selling it as is.

I think I'd be building more of a utility trailer that could be used for expeditions vs a straight expedition trailer.

Thanks for the warm welcome,

Rob

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I suspect that you can get your investment out of it should it not work as you desire. I think that there may be another of those trailers currently being mod'd around here.

Bed access with the tent up would be a sticky point. About the only solution I see is if the bed is long enough to allow access to one side of the tent.

compactcamping

Explorer
Hi, my name is Scott Chaney, I have a company Compact Camping Concepts that builds lightweight Tent Topper Camping Trailers for smaller, fuel efficient vehicles.

I've actually been working with Thule on using there 1500(N1150) and 1700(N1250) trailers with Rooftop tent. These are not hardcore off-road trailer. They will handle decently maintained gravel and dirt roads fine with a Rooftop tent on them. But extend rough trail/road usage will take it's toll on them.

As far as the Easyline trailers goes, these are actual built by Thule and sold under a different brand name. These are a lighter duty trailer than the 1500, per Thule, do not put Rooftop tents on them. This is also the same trailer Cabela's sells as a TP150. I would consider these for off-pavement towing.
--
Scott

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne