Expeditions 7: Two Years Around the World on all Seven Continents.

aluke0510

Adventurer
Wish I had known when you were here in Namibia. I live in Swakopmund and work in the uranium mining industry. But I have to correct you; the skeleton coast gets it's name from whale caucuses that once used to scatter the beaches. At the northern part of the skeleton coast park in the no entry area they can still be regularly seen.

Scott Brady

Founder
But I have to correct you; the skeleton coast gets it's name from whale caucuses that once used to scatter the beaches. At the northern part of the skeleton coast park in the no entry area they can still be regularly seen.

No correction necessary as I was not commenting on the Etymology. I was only relaying that the name was apply given ("earned its name") due to the things we encountered along the way.

Scott Brady

Founder
Another shot of the Namib. I have grown fond of these long dune passages. This will certainly shape trip plans for 2015!
1005791_10152069751418275_933826683_n.jpg

haven

Expedition Leader
The sandy deserts with long stretches of dunes include:
Taklamakan desert, China
Kyzyl-Kum, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Kazakhstan
Kara-Kum, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan
Atacama desert, Chile
Rub al-Khali, Saudi Arabia
and portions of the Sahara

You've already visited the Simpson desert in Australia, the Namib, and the Mojave.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I might have missed it somewhere, Scott, but what does your group do for sleep shelters? Tents?

I noticed the rigs are not equipped with RTTs. I looked back a bit through the thread, but I didn't see that part discussed...

Edit: Nevermind the above question, I see that you sleep two inside the rigs. Now that I read that, I think I remember seeing the cargo storage setup with a flat top.

How has that setup been working now that you've gotten some serious sleepy-time on it?

Last edited:

aluke0510

Adventurer
Another shot of the Namib. I have grown fond of these long dune passages. This will certainly shape trip plans for 2015!

You returning to Namibia in 2015? If so send me a PM. I have spent a total of 10weeks along the skeleton coast and namib desert photographing. I can help you sort out some places to visit and have some fantastic contacts here.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
...How has that setup been working now that you've gotten some serious sleepy-time on it?

I've been fortunate to sleep in about every 'mode' utilized on the E7 adventure, all have their own unique pro's and con's but the original interior sleeping platforms are a perfect solution particularly when in 2 pers/rig status. I've slept on the roof racks which provides decent security from ground critters but lacks in weather protection. We also have a custom Springbar tent that was heavily used in Africa with fantastic results. Hammocks have also been a popular option depending on location. In the sand dunes of the Namib, it was hard to beat a night under the stars. :cool:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
It is my new favorite way to camp. I even set-up my LR4 to work that way now too. I have over 100 nights in the back of the VDJ78s and I sleep like a baby.

Great to hear, Scott, thanks for the reply. I'm going to dig back a bit more for some details on that setup. I've committed to building my trooper with the best stuff available,(though it might take me a bit longer). With my ARB Deluxe bar on the way, spotlights and M8000 winch waiting in the garage, I'm moving into sleeping/cooking setup. Once that's done, I figure it'll inform my suspension setup choices from OME.

Focusing on keeping mrs. Bigdaddy and the chitlin's fed, warm and comfy on our trip up to British Columbia from San Diego in mid to late 2014.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I've been fortunate to sleep in about every 'mode' utilized on the E7 adventure, all have their own unique pro's and con's but the original interior sleeping platforms are a perfect solution particularly when in 2 pers/rig status. I've slept on the roof racks which provides decent security from ground critters but lacks in weather protection. We also have a custom Springbar tent that was heavily used in Africa with fantastic results. Hammocks have also been a popular option depending on location. In the sand dunes of the Namib, it was hard to beat a night under the stars. :cool:

Thanks for the reply, Kurt. I'm a big fan of the Springbar, though I've spent most of my time in RTT's (oh, poor me :) ). Could you expand a bit on what stood out for you as far as performance in the African environment, as far as the tent goes?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles