How to carry spirits

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
It's funny about cases.
People give me cases all the time --- I work in test and measurement and the instruments come in a variety of exotic cases. The equipment gets old, returned/recycled, and nobody wants the case.
Nobody but me. I have a rep for it. Here's the typical line from the engineer: "you want this thing, Bill? I'm just gunna throw it out..."
Of course they know I want it....

4x4BNB

Adventurer
image.jpgimage.jpg
Here's my portable "man cave". It's made from an old pelican 1500. It holds a bottle of scotch, a box of cigars, two scotch tasting glasses, an ashtray, two lighters, two different cutters, 72% humid sticks, and a hygrometer.

I used then used a pelican 1440 case and plucked out the foam to carry 8 bottles of wine and a bottle opener (for the wife).
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    445.3 KB · Views: 56

jdlobb

Adventurer
View attachment 238143View attachment 238144
Here's my portable "man cave". It's made from an old pelican 1500. It holds a bottle of scotch, a box of cigars, two scotch tasting glasses, an ashtray, two lighters, two different cutters, 72% humid sticks, and a hygrometer.

I used then used a pelican 1440 case and plucked out the foam to carry 8 bottles of wine and a bottle opener (for the wife).
View attachment 238145

I have a Pelican 1510 collecting dust in my closet right now, and I believe I just found it's new purpose. Just need to get new foam for it.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Are they this kind?View attachment 108326

I'd love to hear how they hold up for you, in particular how the cap performs (if it stats to leak after a while) and if you have any rust problems.

Best of luck!

Just a personal update - I've been using a variety of the spun stainless and aluminum bottles for a while now. Up until my most recent trip, I've had no incidents, but I've recently gotten very blase' about mixing/matching caps and bottles (moving sports tops to insulated bottles, or whatever).

Well, it bit me in the *** this week - I lost 500ml of quality sipping rum into my food tub when it turned out the cross-matched combination of lids and bottles "fit", but wasn't 100% liquid tight. The bottle got turned on its side sometime during day 2, and the entire supply of Rum for the trip was spilled. It seems the cheap-o generic un-insulated bottle is slightly oversized - I had it capped with a Hydroflask loop cap that will go tight, then "spin around" if you tighten it a bit more. I've checked the same bottle with a Kleen Kanteen sports top and get the same result.

I will now stop swapping caps and be extra careful about water-checking seals before putting quality spirits into those bottles.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
sigg flasks...I have 2 skulls for rum and 2 aliens for the wifes vodka

sgg0000074.jpg

siggsteelworkswaterbottle1.jpg:original

Chili

Explorer
That's what I use too.. (the 1.75)

I wasn't a big fan of their vodka so once I finished the original contents I now refill with Tito's. :)

I am still using the same KRU bottle (just ran through another 1.75ml of Tito's in CO last month) and it is still doing great after 3 years. No issues at all.

7238831.png

TemboTusk

Rendezvous Con
Hey Hilldweller, you must have been to the Appalachian Rendezvous! Good to hear!

Show us a picture!

Scott Quinn's tote:
AJQC-oQphU92fYpDfOkOvRWhbpdJx4IX4Kld2Aq_IQg=w276-h207-p-no

Rendezvous raffle winner as well.

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
A very worthy container indeed

It started here during travel (please note the bottle opener is an elephant's head)
016_zps0ccb01b3.jpg

it migrated to my wife as we cooked dinner, ducking the snow
039_zps7fd7d8ac.jpg

and spent the remainder of the evening by my side
078_zps7bdf190e.jpg

TemboTusk

Rendezvous Con
Wow Hilldweller, you really put the Tote to good use!! Love the Elephant Bottle opener ... something tells me I need one of those!

rubicon91

Explorer
Hey Hilldweller, you must have been to the Appalachian Rendezvous! Good to hear!

Show us a picture!

Scott Quinn's tote:
AJQC-oQphU92fYpDfOkOvRWhbpdJx4IX4Kld2Aq_IQg=w276-h207-p-no

Rendezvous raffle winner as well.

Well tomorrow my wife will be unwrapping one of these for here wine to go. Not sure I want to give it to her lol I want to keep it. Looks like I'll have to order one for myself after the holidays. Merry Christmas everyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles