winch wiring up and new battery questions

crazyeyez

Crazy EyeZ
i've recently gotten a new Smittybilt XRC10 10k winch from 4WP's. i also picked up the SB power cables as quick conenct power cables. the winch is mounted in a SB hitch cradle. i have not ran the power cables to the battery yet (havent had time), but i want to get a new, stronger battery. i also plan to do a battery connecter mod, by converting to heavier duty, and easier to clean, MilSpec battery terminals. these can be picked up thru Napa stores and other stores online.

my main question, is about which battery to get. my idea is a good sized batter with plenty of cranking amps, like an Optima. but red, yellow, or blue top? deep cycle or normal? the truck is a DD and is not expected to use the winch alot. only thing the battery would have to worry about, besides regular truck duty, is LED lights on the roof, and 4 KC DL's (130w each) on the bullbar.

pic of MilSpec battery terminals in civilian use..
100_0357.JPG

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I like the Diehard Platinum. Second is the Exide Orbitals.
Too many horror stories on the Optimas since they were bought by Johnson Controls and moved production to Mexico.
The mil-spec terminals are the way to go, it's all I use. Don't cheap out on the wiring, make sure it's sized to the load for the winch < .5v volt drop to the winch. I make my own so I know they are right.

The Diehard Platinum/Odyssey Is a great battery choice. I would suggest a permanent setup for the winch though. I don't know anyone that actually goes off roading and still uses a removable basket on their trail truck. I've known a few that started out that way but it usually turns out to be more of a pain than it's worth. One of my friends in GA had to winch to a tree, after driving the pin out with a hammer, to get his off the front of his Jeep. It had gotten hit on quite a few rocks and was really jammed up in there. I do know a few people that have them setup like that on there road/work trucks and the winch sits at home until its needed. Just something to think about and YMMV, Good Luck

crazyeyez

Crazy EyeZ
thanks guys. i'll look into the Diehard Plat. the reason for the hitch mount set up is that i dont go wheeling that much, so the winch can sit in the garage till its needed. then, when i do go out wheeling, the winch can sit in the bed of the truck till needed.

youwillforget

Adventurer
The removable basket is the way to go for the area I live in. So much salt and road spray ruined my Waren on my trailer in 3 years. The smittybuilt in the back of my jeep is just as clean and fresh as the day it was bought 5 years ago. As for the wire get at least 1/0 and good connectors or direct wire it.

crazyeyez

Crazy EyeZ
wow, old thread. lol. but yea. i feel ya on keeping it clean.

and as an update, i ended up going with a size 34 Diehard Plat battery and a 150 amp alternator
gonna use the quick connect cables that i got from 4WPs. working on getting some upgraded power and ground cables for the battery and the alternator, then wire up the winch cables

youwillforget

Adventurer
Anderson Power products plugs are the way to go for quick disconnect. ebay has them for cheap search "Anderson lot" I have them on lots of stuff including my jumper cables, Winch, Dads jumper cables, 1200watt inverter. I did some work on my buddy's welder he uses for work so he gave me one of the 50' 2/0 leads he replaced with 4/0 and about 45' of it is in great shape. I am going to put it on the Wrangler so I can front or rear mount the winch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles