Lightweight Hard tail ideas?

DR BrianO

I have been out of the Mtn. biking scene for several years and I just got back on a bike a few months ago. I spent my time doing triathlon's and riding motorcycles.

I recently just bought a 2003 FS Fisher Sugar 3+ that is loaded with higher end components and I have been happy with it, but it is my first FS and I miss the simplicity of having a hard tail and rigid front fork. I bought the bike more for the parts attached to it then for the fact is a FS.

Can anyone suggest some frame and fork combo's I might want to look into, I really prefer lightweight (as most people do). I have checked ebay and craigslist, but I am so out of touch with newer company's and combo's I have no idea where to start.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
I understand where you're coming from. I got on my hard tail the other day after letting it gather dust for a year and was amazed at how fun a simple bike is to ride. I recommend going to a few bike ships to test ride different models and find what fits you best. Thy being said, I love Specialized frames. They are durable, light, and ride very well.

Sent via fat thumb

phsycle

Adventurer
What is your budget. That will help on which models to suggest. Also, since you've been out, a new size wheel has all but taken over the market (in the US, at least). That is the 29" (29er) wheels. You should definitely get out on one to see if you like it.

If I were to build a rigid bike today, and weight were a concern, it would be either a Niner One 9 ($$$) with their carbon fork or a Niner Air 9 ($$$$) with a carbon fork.

But I like my steel framed bikes. And since you stated "simple", it doesn't get much simpler than a singlespeed. I ride a rigid steel singlespeed (Redline Monocog Flight 29er). Great bike, especially for the price.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
There are tons of amazing hard tail options out there. Most of the nicer versions will be 29ers of course. Rocky Mountain's new carbon Vertex frame is stunning. As said above, the Niner Air9 Carbon RDO is lighter than many road frames. Even Salsa has a new Ti Selma that comes in around $2000. The reality is, the frame only constitutes a small percentage of the overall weight of a bike. If you plunked down $8000 for a tricked out Niner Air9c RDO that weighed 23 pounds, the frame only makes up 10% of that ovrall wieght and just 1/4th the cost.

So, light is nice, but don't go nutty searching for aether weight frames.

DiezlWin

I've got an air9 with a carbon fork. It's a super light and super fun bike. Talk about flickable, two wheel drifts are fun! I am playing with the idea of selling it. Its just not the right bike for the trails I ride. Its a size small. Pm me if your interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DR BrianO

Thanks for the quick answers, budget is only in the $400-$600 range for a frame and fork. I am really hoping to pick up something used, my way of staying green. I will probably stick with a 26" wheel as the Fisher has new wheels/tires and is fitted with hydraulic brakes. I would hope to just move over to a newer rigid frame. I have an older rock shock on the current bike (only part I was not thrilled about when I bought it) it is around 5lbs, I don't think I would move it over.

phsycle

Adventurer
Thanks for the quick answers, budget is only in the $400-$600 range for a frame and fork. I am really hoping to pick up something used, my way of staying green. I will probably stick with a 26" wheel as the Fisher has new wheels/tires and is fitted with hydraulic brakes. I would hope to just move over to a newer rigid frame. I have an older rock shock on the current bike (only part I was not thrilled about when I bought it) it is around 5lbs, I don't think I would move it over.

In all honesty, I wouldn't spend much on this frame. Scour your local Craigslist or ebay and pick up a used frame for $100-200. I sold my 00 Stumpjumper a year ago for $200 (the whole bike) and gave away my 97 S-works. 26" wheels have lost some popularity, so they can be had for cheap. Then, you can get something like a Surly 1x1 or Salsa for your rigid fork.

But again, I'd highly recommend that you at least demo a 29er a few times. I still do have a 26" wheeled bike, but it's just a beater. Rest of my fleet is 29ers (all hard tail and/or rigid. Gave up full-suspension few years ago). I did go on a short ride the other day on the 26", and was hating it half way through the ride. I do enjoy the nimble feeling of the bike, though, so I keep it around.

LukeHooligan

Observer
in that price range, i would say look at on-one, surly,salsa and vasago. all 4 make a fantastic product at a very reasonable price

Last edited:

Gooseberry

Explorer
Redline mono 9 if you can find one are nice and a 29r unless you short is a must. If you are close to la you ride mine. I'm liking my 650 way to much and the niner is collecting dust.

phsycle

Adventurer
in that price range, i would say look at on-one, surly,salsa and vasago. all 4 make a fantastic product at a very reasonable price

Just FYI, Vassago bit the dust, due to poor management and idiot employees. Looks like some other investor bought them out and will "return in 2013". I don't think they made 26" frames anyway. Neither does Salsa at this moment. (Unless you count the fat bike). On One and Surly make nice bikes, but I didn't list them as their frames aren't really considered "light". (I do have both makes I've built up over the last several years and they're great).

RttH

Back in Time

You could also go back to the early 90's frames ( a little harder to find). There are a bunch of complete bikes in the sub 24 lbs range. Ritchey, Breezer, Specialized, KHS, Schwinn KOM, Marin, to name a few. My full suspension bike from 1997 is 24 lbs and my rigid bike is only 19.5 lbs. Both are 19 inch frames. Some of these bikes were top of the line $2000 in there day.:bike_rider:

LukeHooligan

Observer
Just FYI, Vassago bit the dust, due to poor management and idiot employees. Looks like some other investor bought them out and will "return in 2013". I don't think they made 26" frames anyway. Neither does Salsa at this moment. (Unless you count the fat bike). On One and Surly make nice bikes, but I didn't list them as their frames aren't really considered "light". (I do have both makes I've built up over the last several years and they're great).

didn't realize vassago was gone, had heard a little while back they were having some troubles though. I overlooked the part where the OP said he was sticking to 26". Would still say look at on-one, awesome products, excellent prices. their steel frames are still quite light for as strong as they are and they have aluminum and carbon fiber options as well, i actually ride one of their steel 456 long travel hardtails and it has really sold me on the whole all mountain hardtail idea. climbs wonderfully even with 140mm travel fork(geometry is designed to work with anything from 120-160mm travel forks) but still super fun and stable on the descents. Will also say that if you do want to go with a rigid fork, i would suggest sticking with a steel frame.

DR BrianO

Redline mono 9 if you can find one are nice and a 29r unless you short is a must. If you are close to la you ride mine. I'm liking my 650 way to much and the niner is collecting dust.

So you are not bite by the 29er bug? no Kool-aid for you? I still have not ridden a 29er, but as I have always been comfortable on the small wheeled mtn bikes I see no reason to switch at the moment.

Tim A

Adventurer
I just switched from a hardtail 29er to a full sus 26". I switched because when making turns (leaning to turn, not turning the bars) I could feel a lot of lateral flex in the front end. I wasn't sure where exactly the flex was coming from but I could definitely repeat the noodle sensation by doing a "slalom" at any moderate to high speed.

After some online research and talking to riders/mechanics I determined it was probably a combination of the 29" wheel, a tiny skewer and a cheap suspension fork. Some higher end bikes may have a "thru axle" which is thicker than a skewer and threads directly into the fork and this may eliminate some flex. A thru axle also indicates a higher quality fork. If you go with a entry-level 29er with a skewer in the front, see if you can feel lateral flex in the front end. Whether you're OK with the flex is up to you and the way you ride. Good luck in your search.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles