Headlight Replacement

Vince1

Adventurer
JW Speaker just released a new headlight today called "8700 Evolution". Not too much information on it yet. FB page says you won't have to shave the headlight ring but you'll still need the H4-H13 harness.

The ring shaving issue is no big deal...it only takes a little bit of Dremel work and about 5 minutes time, so I'm not too sure why anyone would wait for the new model since the old one is so good, but whatever. More important is the flicker issue. It's not noticeable except at idle when using other accessories, but this is annoying and entirely a Jeep thing. Like the Cibies, you need to use a full harness, not the pigtail adapter, to get power direct from the battery. After installing the Rallylights harness, the flicker went away and lights are brighter. Do it once the right way and your done for the life of your Jeep. Money well spent!

JeepinJon

Observer
I run 80/100 watt H4s in the Hella housings, and with the supersharp vertical cutoff to the beam pattern, I'm able to put all the light onto the ground and keep it out of oncoming drivers' eyes.

If you live in a state with inspections you may not pass due to the wattage of the bulb. Any bulb that is higher wattage than 55/60 is illegal, and not DOT approved.

DesertJK

Adventurer
Hilldweller is the resident lighting expert (assuming it's the same Hilldweller from WranglerForum)

I went with this setup: http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=4669

$250 or so gets you good Hella lenses, bulbs and relay setup. Plug and play (including the 2012). Not as good as the Cibie lenses that Daniel Stern (http://www.danielsternlighting.com/) sells, but for the money it's a good place to start.

I will second the Rally lights recommendation. Best 250 spent on the JK. I have had them in for about 50K miles. Only used 2 sets of bulbs (ask for his heavy duty super white 80/100's.
I have Hella 4000's on the bumper too, with lexan covers. The combo gives me great ilumination on low and I don't get flashed by oncomming traffic. On high with the 4000's added in, I can see for a mile.

D.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Chris is having a failure from his second TruckLite LED, btw, and will have it exchanged. TruckLite will examine it and figure out what went wrong.
The set they sent me appeared to be pre-production and was in a generic TruckLite box rather than in the zippy boxes that Stumpy's lights came in.

I just spoke with John at JW Speaker and I'll be getting a set of their new 8900 5x7 LED lights for Stumpy's other XJ and a set of TS3000 Driving lights for the Power Wagon. The stats on both are impressive.

I like the direction that the companies are taking with LEDs ---- giving us a decent spread of light, trying to work with us on fitment, price, etc.
The flicker thing is a puzzle though and I'll be rigging a harness for my truck (PWM like its little JK brother). Besides annoying, flicker is technically illegal and we don't need reasons to get tickets.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
i just ordered a set of trucklites for myself. i got rid of my Phase 6's. i got the trucklites over the JW's because i wanted a more traditional look. so - I'm looking forward to getting home from my tour and getting them on.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Love my Trucklites on my XJ - a true pleasure at night- cant wait to try out the JWSpeakers on my other XJ. They have a lot to live up to compared to the Trucklites.

~ Stump

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
If an extra set of either happens to arrive and you'd like a European (Germany) field test, feel free to pass them along. :) I can now do XJ or CJ styles... :))

cjlewis

SE Expedition Society
Both of my Trucklite prototype lamps failed (high beams) and where quickly replaced at no cost with over night shipping with production units. Since I have driven from GA to AZ running the lights the whole way. I also did easily a 120 miles of washboard roads and 40+ mph and have seen no issues. At this point I believe the issues were related to the prototype (hand-built) units.

I do plan to have Hilldweller rerun his tests on these new lights just to make sure everything tests the same as the prototypes. I can say that highway signs and reflectors at night where ridiculously bright with high beams on.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I should have some JW Speaker lights to test this weekend ---- new houses built up in the Proving Grounds though, Chris/Stump/Ryan; we might need a new test spot....

just eric

Adventurer
I should have some JW Speaker lights to test this weekend ---- new houses built up in the Proving Grounds though, Chris/Stump/Ryan; we might need a new test spot....

Did you get the lights? I've got some cash that's burning a hole in my pocket and it's going to these or the trucklights!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke