AEV/Burnsville 3.0L Diesel JK Conversion Kit

Mbogo

Observer
Yeah, Will, when you have a bunch of people who have to sit in a room all day and do nothing but make make laws to justify their paychecks, they are going to come up with some pointless ones from time to time. But that's our system, and for the most part it works OK. It's up to each individual whether or not to obey and uphold the law based on common sense or some philosophical ideals. I think circumstances matter too. As far as common sense goes, does one operate his vehicle mostly in rural areas or densely populated cities? Obviously, that's going to make a difference regarding which way the odds stack up. As far as the legality of diesel swaps goes, yeah new diesel engines are a PITA. But large scale NOx emissions could be considered to be a serious issue. Smog sucks. Despite my deep distrust of Big Oil, I think that is on balance why diesel swap laws exist. Whether anyone choses to follow those laws is up to the individual. If you read my post above, however, one thing is certain. Violating drunk driving laws is never a good or moral choice. That's my PSA for the month.

Jorsn

Adventurer
http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/1208dp_banks_vm_motori_630t_v6_diesel_engine/

Banks has already started working on tuning options for 3.0L. They worked directly with VM Motori... So that sounds promising to me.

Also hearing rumors that this 3.0L engine could end up in the 1500 Ram Or 1500 Chevy trucks, Or both since Fiat owns 50% and GM owns 50% of VM Motori. Soo... If that ever happens it will definitely drive down the cost of the engine and engines will be a lot easier to come by instead of say just a Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Edition.

I'm also pretty sure that this engine is built here in the US, So parts should be pretty easy to come by in the future.

Jorsn

Adventurer
Wow, I can't believe this thread is already a year old. Anyways, No news on anyone offering a conversion. Just thought I would share that the 2014 Jeep GC diesel guys are getting between 26-28mpg with ease and that's within the first couple of hundred miles. The JK should be able to get around the same mpg considering it weighs 1,200lbs less than the diesel equipped GC. Hopefully we'll see some conversions available before the end of 2014.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Wow, I can't believe this thread is already a year old. Anyways, No news on anyone offering a conversion. Just thought I would share that the 2014 Jeep GC diesel guys are getting between 26-28mpg with ease and that's within the first couple of hundred miles. The JK should be able to get around the same mpg considering it weighs 1,200lbs less than the diesel equipped GC. Hopefully we'll see some conversions available before the end of 2014.

At SIMA Banks announced they'll sell the 3.0 with a 6 speed auto and transfer case.. they're calling it "Banks Diesel Powertrain for Jeeps".

Details are thin so far, price is not known.

GM will be selling the same 2.8 VM diesel Jeep use in the export Wrangler in the 2016 small pickup for NA... so maybe Jeep will finally bring that thing here...

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Wonder what the odds are of that banks conversion would fit into an XJ....

In the press release, they are comparing their option to the 4.0 in terms of power and weight, which makes me think they're targeting it to replace the 4.0, which makes me think it's aimed at TJ and XJ owners... That's just my guess.

-Dan

X-plorenow

Adventurer
In the press release, they are comparing their option to the 4.0 in terms of power and weight, which makes me think they're targeting it to replace the 4.0, which makes me think it's aimed at TJ and XJ owners... That's just my guess.

-Dan

I second that

vonguido

Adventurer

-Dan

This is good news...I can only hope it does. My XJ has just over 200k miles on it so Im hoping this will be an available option at some point in 2014. If not then it will be replaced by another 4.0l.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
This is good news...I can only hope it does. My XJ has just over 200k miles on it so Im hoping this will be an available option at some point in 2014. If not then it will be replaced by another 4.0l.

Hopefully. I also see no reason it won't go into a JK.

Given that it's now a motor in the 2014 GC, this swap will be 50 state legal, identical to the HEMI swaps done now.

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne