AEV/Burnsville 3.0L Diesel JK Conversion Kit

Jorsn

Adventurer
So how long do you think it will take for AEV to come up with a kit for the new diesel in the 13' GC?

They didn't take very long for the Hemi kit. I say about 6 after the Jeep GC comes out. Maybe even sooner considering their close relationship with Chrysler.

Burnsville i'm sure will also be in a hurry to get a kit out. Burnsville Hemi Kit is now the official 'Mopar JK Hemi Conversion Kit', So we might see them come out with a kit even sooner.

Anywho, I'm obviously excited :wings:

1stDeuce

Explorer
Pretty sure they're working on a 3.3L cummins conversion right now. No, not a 3.9, a 3.3. Hmmmmmm..........
C

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
They who? While the new Cummins 3.3 would make a good swap, it is in a legal grey area for emissions since it wasn't used in another on-highway vehicle.

The 3.0 VM/Fiat diesel is already available in Europe since the 2011 model year in the Grand Cherokee. I'm fairly sure its manufactured in the USA. If you had the connections getting one wouldn't be impossible. The 3.0 VM/Fiat diesel is used in a platform that can already donate a Hemi to the JK wrangler. As far as packaging goes I think it would probably be one of the best ever other than the factory 2.8 CRD (wrangler application).

Now that the entire vehicle is basically can-c the communication from the new 3.0 diesel ECM should be pretty easy. It would be be interesting to see what computer is running the new engine....a bosch unit perhaps?

Jorsn

Adventurer

That's what I was thinking.

Fingers are crossed.

Pretty sure they're working on a 3.3L cummins conversion right now. No, not a 3.9, a 3.3. Hmmmmmm..........
C

Hm, I'm not so sure about that. With the relationship both companies have with Chrysler I can't see AEV going the Cummins route. But you could be right.

They who? While the new Cummins 3.3 would make a good swap, it is in a legal grey area for emissions since it wasn't used in another on-highway vehicle.

The 3.0 VM/Fiat diesel is already available in Europe since the 2011 model year in the Grand Cherokee. I'm fairly sure its manufactured in the USA. If you had the connections getting one wouldn't be impossible. The 3.0 VM/Fiat diesel is used in a platform that can already donate a Hemi to the JK wrangler. As far as packaging goes I think it would probably be one of the best ever other than the factory 2.8 CRD (wrangler application).

Now that the entire vehicle is basically can-c the communication from the new 3.0 diesel ECM should be pretty easy. It would be be interesting to see what computer is running the new engine....a bosch unit perhaps?

I've been reading some GC forums and seeing a lot of people easily getting over 30mpg's on the open road and mid to low 20's around town.

The 3.0VM is produced here, Getting your hands on one might be hard.

I agree it will be a great setup with the WA580 transmission. I think there is an option for an 8 speed, or there will be in the future.

Now throw in a Long Ranger Aux tank and you'll have no worries on stopping for fuel.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Anyone want to hazard a guess what it might cost?

I have to imagine it will be a little higher than a HEMI swap, due to needing a new diesel tank, pump and gas lines.
Getting a 3.0 will also not be easy for a while, maybe either AEV or Burnsville will have a deal with Jeep to source them new.

If neither company even mentions such a kit, or an attempted kit for a year or more, I'll take that as reasonable evidence there is a factory diesel on the horizon.

-Dan

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I would think it should be about the same cost as the 6.4 hemi or so.

As long as the engine is sold in the USA getting it shouldn't be too hard. You can generally order the entire engine as an assembly just like you can order the Hemi now.
The hard parts to get will be a JK compatible diesel radiator and inter-cooler since these are not a factory part with the new 3.0 diesel and even the 2.8 diesel version is very hard to get in the USA.

It's NOT going to be cheap, that's for sure. I am holding out hope that Jeep will offer one factory in the wrangler in the 2013 late or 2014.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
The hard parts to get will be a JK compatible diesel radiator and inter-cooler since these are not a factory part
I thought there were tons of aftermarket options for this kind of thing to be pretty much plug-n-play with any vehicle/engine combination as used by the tuning market?
I am holding out hope that Jeep will offer one factory in the wrangler in the 2013 late or 2014.
You and me both.
You have to think with the relationship Jeep now has with AEV (for the MW3, etc.) and Burnsville (for the Mopar HEMI kit) they would let them know to not waste their time on a conversion kit if there is a diesel in the pipeline.... (although there will still be plenty of 07-12 owners who might be interested in the swap)

-Dan

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
You can custom build a radiator and intercooler for just about anything, but that add a LOT of cost. Using a factory parts makes it really simple and clean. Most of the Hemi conversions use a custom radiator so I wouldn't doubt that it would go that way. The intercooler adds a little bit of a packaging problem if you want everything to look factory in the end.....

The tub on the 2011+ wrangler was changed to make room for the new transmission and pentastar. If I had to guess they probably made the newer tub fit the possible option on the 3.0 VM/Fiat diesel.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
The tub on the 2011+ wrangler was changed to make room for the new transmission and pentastar. If I had to guess they probably made the newer tub fit the possible option on the 3.0 VM/Fiat diesel.

Yep, I've heard that from a few people. The tub is now set in terms of crash standards for "short engines" i.e. 4 cyl or V6 or V8.

No more inline 6.

-Dan

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
From what I understand the V8 is a stretch for crash standards in the JK. That could be one of the reasons we didn't see an inline 4cyl (or V8) in the USA?

Jorsn

Adventurer
Anyone want to hazard a guess what it might cost?

I have to imagine it will be a little higher than a HEMI swap, due to needing a new diesel tank, pump and gas lines.
Getting a 3.0 will also not be easy for a while, maybe either AEV or Burnsville will have a deal with Jeep to source them new.

If neither company even mentions such a kit, or an attempted kit for a year or more, I'll take that as reasonable evidence there is a factory diesel on the horizon.

-Dan

I'm guessing aroung the same price as a hemi swap.

Both companies have a pretty good relationships with Chrysler, I don't think they would have that hard of a time getting an engine/trans.

I don't think we will see a factory diesel in the JK until 2015-2016.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
The transmission used in the EU 2011+ Grand Cherokee 3.0 VM diesel is that same as the current 2012 JK with the Pentastar. It should just bolt up....

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
The transmission used in the EU 2011+ Grand Cherokee 3.0 VM diesel is that same as the current 2012 JK with the Pentastar. It should just bolt up....

I still want a standard, so hopefully an option becomes available for that.

-Dan

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
From what I understand the 2.8 CRD in current trim is pressing the existing 6spd manual pretty hard. I think the manual CRD wranglers are detuned to a lower torque?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles