Tire and wheel question

Reece04

Observer
I currently have 33x12.50r15 on my suburban, I don't like how wide they are and I was thinking of going up to 16in wheels and getting some 285/75r16 e-load... My question is, what are the advantages and disadvantages when it comes to off roading or airing down when you compare c load (current tires) to d load and e load?

Thanks

Saiyan66

Adventurer
The C range tires are going to have a lot more flex to the carcass at lower pressures than the D and E rated tires. However with a rig as heavy as a suburban, you probably wont notice it much at all. The good news is that when you air down your new 285/75R16 E rated tires, you will still have a decent load capacity unlike with the old tires. I think it is a good upgrade idea, and as long as you experiment with tire pressures on the highway you should be able to get pretty close to the ride of the old C range tires.

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Yep, 285/75/16 e

The 285/75/16e should be load rated 3,750 lb and when aired down can handle your truck/load safely. Any wheel you on should have a high capacity too. Generally welded steelies are lighter duty unless custom made by wheelsmith, riveted are higher capacity and have letter codes at the valve stem location of rim and found on K2500/3500 units. I've used ALCOA forged 16"x7" w/285's w/o any issues.

Tire load tables shown capacity at different psi is always helpful, and for your application 255 or 285 (e) will rock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94