Another 1991 Suburban

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Nice work Sean! I thought that looked like a clean rust free Suburban for being in St. Louis (Saltbelt) then I noticed the Daniels Chevrolet – Colorado Springs sticker on the back. That makes sense why it is still so clean…transplant truck.

Love your racks ladder, sliders and bumpers but, how much does all that stuff weigh? I never noticed those pop-out rear windows in a square body style Suburban before. Interesting! Do they look factory or aftermarket? Nice rig you got there!

sean257

Adventurer
Thank you. It weighs a lot, I worry about it being top heavy, sinking, and sliding faster than I want down hills. Is there anything I can do about that (wider tires, bigger brakes...) I figured the windows were factory, but have never looked that close. I'll have to check them out.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Yeah, check out those windows and see if they look factory. I just don’t recall seeing pop-out windows on thes ole Burbs before. Looks cool! Wish my Polar Bear had those.

Well, if it where me, I would ditch that little 6 lug 10bolt semi floating rear axle and bolt in an 8 lug 14 bolt floating rear axle and ¾ ton leaf spring packs. This would also give you much bigger brakes in the rear and a much stronger axle. For the front, the 10 bolt axle will be fine but you can change it to 8 lugs by just changing the brake rotors and backing plates. The ¾ ton brake rotors are a bit larger but they still use the same calipers and brake pads as the ½ tons. Rotors and fullfloater is a quick easy swap for these old GM rigs with huge gains in strength and braking power. I suspect your burb has 3:42 or 3:73 gears now. Bonus if you decide to drop the gear ratio down to 4:10 or 4:56 while you are at it. Even a bigger bonus in braking if you change the brakes from vacuum to hydroboost. Regearing gets pricy though. My Polar Bear is getting an axle swaperoo in the next month or so as well. I want to ditch the semi float rear axle but more importantly, I am anxious to get rid of the 3:42 gears for 4:10’s. The Polar Bear is one gutless pile of style with 3:42 cogs.

sean257

Adventurer
Thank you for the advice Larry! I was planning to drive as is for a while if the braking does not feel unsafe, then replace the axles and more as I break them. I guess that may not be the best plan, because they may not break at the most convenient times. In general I have probably added about 1k+ lbs, but I will not be towing a trailer or carrying a ton of gear.

beez33

Observer
all I can say is sweet. I am also building a 1991 sub I have a 4inch lift not the six , but I love sliders and rack. how are they holding up? I am adding a rack to put a rtt up there hard to belive that a sub could need more space. I will us the front for storage. post more pictures
beez33

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Hey Sean, what can I say other than `Nice Rack´:Wow1: No pun intended. My dad had a HUGE roof rack on his 454 `Burb´and it was bolted through like yours. He must have put 2 tons on that thing without any issues. But my dad was the kind of guy that used to save on winter tires and just get us kids to shovel the whole back lane for snow so he could come out!:Wow1:

Wes

Observer
Great looking truck you have there!!! I like the step on your rear bumper!!! Thanks for posting the pictures:eek:)

~Wes~

sean257

Adventurer
Thanks!
All done now and back on the road/trails
See how comfortable it is:
719b520c.jpg

1dee1109.jpg

d7774c6a.jpg

f7d64542.jpg

sean257

Adventurer
Yeah, check out those windows and see if they look factory. I just don’t recall seeing pop-out windows on thes ole Burbs before. Looks cool! Wish my Polar Bear had those.

Well, if it where me, I would ditch that little 6 lug 10bolt semi floating rear axle and bolt in an 8 lug 14 bolt floating rear axle and ¾ ton leaf spring packs. This would also give you much bigger brakes in the rear and a much stronger axle. For the front, the 10 bolt axle will be fine but you can change it to 8 lugs by just changing the brake rotors and backing plates. The ¾ ton brake rotors are a bit larger but they still use the same calipers and brake pads as the ½ tons. Rotors and fullfloater is a quick easy swap for these old GM rigs with huge gains in strength and braking power. I suspect your burb has 3:42 or 3:73 gears now. Bonus if you decide to drop the gear ratio down to 4:10 or 4:56 while you are at it. Even a bigger bonus in braking if you change the brakes from vacuum to hydroboost. Regearing gets pricy though. My Polar Bear is getting an axle swaperoo in the next month or so as well. I want to ditch the semi float rear axle but more importantly, I am anxious to get rid of the 3:42 gears for 4:10’s. The Polar Bear is one gutless pile of style with 3:42 cogs.

I finally looked, and the windows are definately not factory. They have about a hundred screws holding them in. If you want I can take a pic.
Thanks again for the axle and brake info!

sean257

Adventurer
Out using it...

2050419f.jpg

291bcfce.jpg

709a096c.jpg

I did notice that the front tires can rub on the back corners of the fenders in certain situations. I am not sure what to do about that yet. My immediate reaction is to get a sledge hammer and make some clearance.

doubled4324

"My immediate reaction is to get a sledge hammer and make some clearance."
LOL, reminds me of years ago when I used a sawzall to cut out the fenders on my 72 scout.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne