Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh HMMWV suspension upgrade

haven is offline Expedition Portal Moderator Expedition Leader

Default Oshkosh HMMWV suspension upgrade

Oshkosh has offered an upgraded suspension for the military HMMWV for a couple of years. The Marine Corps has ordered some. Anyone here driven one?

The new suspension does two things: It provides a significant increase in ground clearance, and it restores the HMMWV to the original design's payload of 2500 lb. The photo makes me wonder if the new suspension dispenses with the portal axles of the original design. Those drive shafts look like they go to the center of the wheel.

That's an impressive suspension upgrade Haven.
    '12 Dodge 5500 6.7 diesel slightly modified. 14' 3" Alaskan camper (Alaskanabego)
    My camper build: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ead.php?t=9502

KD0ERY

I am currently at Oshkosh Test center, not sure if any have been sold. Where is this picture from, I don't reconize it's location. Yes they are cool.

Looks like the new upper A-arms mount to the original lower A-arm positions. The front diff looks like it is a top-loader of sorts, definitely with some drop built in. I would expect a gear ratio in the high 5's, if not 6's, since the hub reduction is gone and the tires are much taller.

found a few other pics of this...

http://www.oshkoshdefense.com/tak-4
    NICK ~ CrazyEyeZ

2005 GMC Canyon Z71 4x4 crewcab < 355Nation.net >
    -2" lift shackles and AAL's, TB's cranked, Rancho shocks, 31x10.5x15 Goodyear Wrangler Trailmark
    -roof rack, 24v LED flood and spot lights, 2x 4ft FireSticks, Cobra 29 classic w/weather
    -custom HD bullbar with 4 130w KC DayLighters

It looks awkward and top heavy. There are huge bids out now to retrofit the HMMWVs with all sorts of suspension, equipment, recovery gear etc. That picture has been floating around for around a year I think.

-Alex

Wait till it its a gun mount, turret, turret wall... HMMWV's are tipsy as hell with all that ****. Many have flipped in iraq and afg with all that crap on top, and drivers that dont know how to really drive....
    NICK ~ CrazyEyeZ

2005 GMC Canyon Z71 4x4 crewcab < 355Nation.net >
    -2" lift shackles and AAL's, TB's cranked, Rancho shocks, 31x10.5x15 Goodyear Wrangler Trailmark
    -roof rack, 24v LED flood and spot lights, 2x 4ft FireSticks, Cobra 29 classic w/weather
    -custom HD bullbar with 4 130w KC DayLighters

Those pics were just in one of the big diesel mags within the year. The article stated it was the IED retrofit kit, instead of buying real IED proof/resistant vehicles the military retrofitted old HUMMERS.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyeyez View Post
    Wait till it its a gun mount, turret, turret wall... HMMWV's are tipsy as hell with all that ****. Many have flipped in iraq and afg with all that crap on top, and drivers that dont know how to really drive....
    I thought that was one of the main design criteria, to make them wide and low so that the greasy side stayed down more often than the M38A1 and M151.

humvee's are dead. MRAP's and M-ATV's are the future. the Navy and the Air Force refuse to buy anything that doesn't have a V-shaped hull on it. they're the power players in this one.

the Air Force and Navy are spending huge amounts of money training specifically for the new MRAP series of vehicles and M-ATV's. the only specific training we get on Humvee's outside of OJT anymore is specifically the 6.5L Diesel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast