1991 Montero Ignition Question

GeoTracker90

Adventurer
I'm new to Monteros although I've been wanting one for some time. I'm going to look at a 1991 Montero Friday after work. The guy that is selling it has said that it won't run and that it doesn't have spark. Do you guys have any words of wisdom to share before I go out there and take a look?

Also, in it's current condition he is asking $900 for it. It seems a bit high to me for a truck that isn't running and I'll probably try to get it cheaper; what would be a fair price for a non-running Montero of that vintage?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Hopefully I too will soon have one of the coolest trucks around.

Mike.

p.s.

Here is a photo of the rig from the Craigslist ad:

1991Montero.jpg

off-roader

Expedition Leader
$250-500 would be what I'd pay for it considering I bought a running 96 SR for $1350.:Wow1::)

Not sure about the no start situation.

Does it have an alarm system installed? (could be a faulty alarm)

Does the engine crank (i.e. does the starter work)?

Does it have power at the coil? Does it have power at the distributor? Is there spark at the plugs? (could be a faulty ignition system or even ECU problem)

Is there fuel going into the cylinders? (could be a bad fuel pump or clogged fuel filter)

All things you need to figure out to trouble shoot it.

scrubber3

Not really here
The one thing about a vehicle that's not running when you first come across it is that it could literally be anything. I'd be sure to take a good battery with me if I were you.

GeoTracker90

Adventurer
I wasn't able to look at the Montero over the weekend but I'll be looking at it in about another hour. I'll be sure to take a good battery, some tools and a good flashlight.

Wish me luck guys.

Mike

GeoTracker90

Adventurer
Well I'm going to pass on the Montero for now. The guy thinks he has gold (only Montero with a good auto transmission) and thinks that a newer motor makes it worth almost a grand even though it doesn't run. When asked he said that the lowest he would take is $600 to $700 depending on the day.

If he can't sell the truck he plans on parting it out and trying to get his $900 by selling the major components.

Oh well I'll keep my eyes open for the next "good" deal.

Mike

scrubber3

Not really here
If he only knew how the transmissions are the strong points in these. What did you offer for it?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
When asked he said that the lowest he would take is $600 to $700 depending on the day.
Tell him most Montero auto's are fine have hundreds of thousands of miles.

You really have nothing to loose so offer him $500 in cash "All I have is $500" and wave the $100 bills in his face so he knows your serious. If he sells it fine, if not, you've already made the decision you can move on anyway.

GeoTracker90

Adventurer
If he only knew how the transmissions are the strong points in these. What did you offer for it?

I didn't give him an offer and just walked for now. The most I would have offered was $400 and given the guy's attitude I thought that I would get further by leaving and then maybe in a week or two calling back to see if he still has it. I'm taking my chances by doing this but in this area I would be very, very suprised if he had anyone else show serious interest in it given his asking price of $900 or his lowest acceptable price of $600 - $700.

If I miss out on this one I'll just have to save up a little more and then hit up the classified ads from KSL out of Utah. I should be able to find a decent deal on a good runner on there.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles