Trooper question

Clutch

<---Pass
Mode switch is a common problem...it's a GM tranny.

We got such a screaming deal on it, is why we settled on an auto. Otherwise it would of been manual.

Just needed a daily driver for her to get back and forth to school. I doubt if I'll fix it when it goes, probably just sell the whole vehicle, and buy another Toyota.

Cee-Jay

Sasquatch
My understanding is that the GM 4L30-E transmission in the Troopers is much better suited for lighter duty vehicles and, as a result, problems with this transmission in the Troopers are relatively common. Also, the 4L30-E is allegedly a PITA to service properly, which probably contributes to the problems.

Plenty of guys who take good care of them get good performance even while running larger tires in off-road situations, but scanning craigslist for used Troopers it appears very, very common to find vehicles with only 100k to 150k on them advertised with "just replaced transmission".

MojaveKJ

Adventurer
Worst vehicle I've ever owned. Do not get the 4 cylinder motor, the head has a design flaw that restricts coolant flow. Get the Chevy V6 if at all. Never did any mods as I sold it as soon as possible after discovering the head issue.

Just me experience.

SRN

Adventurer
Worst vehicle I've ever owned. Do not get the 4 cylinder motor, the head has a design flaw that restricts coolant flow. Get the Chevy V6 if at all. Never did any mods as I sold it as soon as possible after discovering the head issue.

Just me experience.

This is in regards to the first gen Troopers. Second gen Troopers only have the 3.2L or 3.5L Isuzu V6, which are quite solid motors with ample power.

Clutch

<---Pass
This is in regards to the first gen Troopers. Second gen Troopers only have the 3.2L or 3.5L Isuzu V6, which are quite solid motors with ample power.

I do like the power of ours, everything else is "ok".

My girlfriend asked me yesterday why I don't like driving it, I find the seat extremely uncomfortable...drove it for an hour yesterday, fiddled with the seat the entire time...no luck, couldn't wait to get out of it. That and I can't stand driving automatics.

We had to stop by the house during the errand run, I parked it and grabbed my Tacoma....ahh much better. Feels like it was made for my body size, the seat feels like I am "in" the vehicle and not sitting on a barstool...did I mention I don't like the Trooper seats? :p

SRN

Adventurer
I do like the power of ours, everything else is "ok".

My girlfriend asked me yesterday why I don't like driving it, I find the seat extremely uncomfortable...drove it for an hour yesterday, fiddled with the seat the entire time...no luck, couldn't wait to get out of it. That and I can't stand driving automatics.

We had to stop by the house during the errand run, I parked it and grabbed my Tacoma....ahh much better. Feels like it was made for my body size, the seat feels like I am "in" the vehicle and not sitting on a barstool...did I mention I don't like the Trooper seats? :p

Thats interesting, I love the seats in my Troopy! Super comfortable for me, I feel like I have a "commanding" view of the road and my vehicle. Only complaint is that there isn't enough lower bolster, so when I'm apexing those hairpins, my ***** slides a little too much. ;)

Wow ... seems like the trooperhas a fairly good rep , and It is something i havent ever seen in Maine .. Hows the aftermarket support for one of these ?

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Aftermarket is limited, but enough. ARB has lockers, bumpers, lift springs, shocks, etc. Independent4x has the most aftermarket stuff. Calmini has a few items.

really thats all i would need .. I do have full access to a fab shop so skid plates and exo i can build, Are there any other pics besides the silver one that i have seen ? Also are there any snorkels ? or is that a custom thing also ?

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Pics of what silver one? My Trooper is green.
IMGP1140.jpg

ARB has a snorkel too. http://store.arbusa.com/SAFARI-SNORKEL-FOR-ISUZU-TROOPER-1992-97-SS200HF-P22046.aspx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles