"ATO Expedition 1" build

fire931

Adventurer
Here's a few shots of the dual battery setup we did on this build. I can finally post these since the tray is out and ready to go.

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

In that last picture you can see the fuse / relay block we used for this build. It's a really nice setup that houses 10 fused circuits and 5 relays all in a water proof case. Plus the part I love about it is it uses the same size fuses as the rest of the truck so no carrying around var

cam-shaft

Bluebird days
You have dual batts, looks pretty good. I myself dont care for how much access one loses by sticking dual batteries in the front corner, plus the extra weight up there. Can you still change front light bulb without removing batteries? I recommend maybe a power and ground junction block to get rid of so many wires going to batt terminals.

Your switches in the cab would be annoying for me as they are spread annoyingly through out interior. I would prefer them in line on one panel. just my2 pennies.

Cam-shaft.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Nice job! I know what it's like to get 2 batteries up there and you did clean work.

I'll live with the limited headlight bulb access since I've only replaced them once in the 12 years I've owned the vehicle. :rolleyes:

cam-shaft

Bluebird days
Not knocking just giving away 2 pennies from my experience. Of course, it is always what the customer wanted or all he knows. No need for any justification for me, why one did this or that. I think the customer will be happy and it looks good.

Thanks, Cam-shaft.

Last edited:

fire931

Adventurer
You have dual batts, looks pretty good. I myself dont care for how much access one loses by sticking dual batteries in the front corner, plus the extra weight up there. Can you still change front light bulb without removing batteries? I recommend maybe a power and ground junction block to get rid of so many wires going to batt terminals.

Your switches in the cab would be annoying for me as they are spread annoyingly through out interior. I would prefer them in line on one panel. just my2 pennies.

Cam-shaft.

I can agree with most all of what your saying. The added weight of a second battery up front isn't really ideal however it makes the wiring much easier having them close together and is alot easier of an install than sticking it say in the bed. As for the junction blocks, I thought about it but then it would have just been a mess of wires somewhere else taking up more space. The wiring is really about as simple as one can make it on this one despite how it may look, and it's not very hard to get the batteries out either. As for the switches, I totally agree that keeping them close makes for a bit cleaner look however with the number of switches on this build and space restrictions we did the best we could laying them out while meeting the customers requests at the same time. Thanks for chiming in though, I always appreciate hearing everyone's thoughts and ideas!

fire931

Adventurer
Nice job! I know what it's like to get 2 batteries up there and you did clean work.

I'll live with the limited headlight bulb access since I've only replaced them once in the 12 years I've owned the vehicle. :rolleyes:

Thanks! Yea replacing the drivers headlight can be a bit of a bear now since it requires removing one battery but it seems like the lesser of two evils versus mounting the Aux battery in or under the bed since that's really the only other place it could go.

In that last picture you can see the fuse / relay block we used for this build. It's a really nice setup that houses 10 fused circuits and 5 relays all in a water proof case. Plus the part I love about it is it uses the same size fuses as the rest of the truck so no carrying around var

Any further info on the fuse/relay block? Who makes it?

InvisibleOne

OverANYlander
Very Nice. That's be a great daily. I'd be interested in that dual battery setup as well. Mostly the tray if it fits under the hood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles