Tell me more about these Monteros

Soviet Joy

Those are some gorgeous Monteros. While I will keep my eyes open for full-sized Monteros, I'd totally buy that one on 4x4wire for $3k. Too bad it's probably sold by now.

Thanks to everyone in this thread for helping me out. The Montero community seems a lot friendlier than others (*cough*Jeep*cough*).

as far as axle differences between the sport and full size montero; my sport with the 3.5 has the 9.5 inch ring gear, 31 spline rear axle, and the 8 inch ring gear front. From what i have seen, this is the same as the full size montero's. Many replacement parts list for both applications.

Mike

You are right, some sports do have the larger axles but if i remember correctly, they are not compatible with the axles found on the fullsize montero. This makes it dufficult when trying to fit a locker into the montero sports. The sports had a lot of variations during there run. The earlier sports had rear leafs and smaller engines while the later models offered rear coils and larger engines. If you are considering a sport I would look for one with the factory rear locker.

So how does a Montero compare against an XJ, FJ80, or a Discovery?

Compared to XJ- The Monty has fewer squeaks, rattles, and shimmys. More power. More refined.

FJ80/FZJ80- Monty has much better fuel economy. More noticeable hp/ less torque. Monty has smaller interior. Cruiser has solid front axle. Bolt ons galore. Too common in the expedition-ing world (for my tastes.)

Discovery- They have very similar styling. I love Disco styling, but thats where my love ends with them. I've worked on several and while they're relatively easy to work on, the engineering is mindboggling stupid. You'd think the folks that nearly conquered the world would have employed someone with some sort of common sense when designing the trucks.... Honestly, I couldn't own a discovery after dealing with the ones i've dealt with. Again, better fuel economy. Better handling.

So how does a Montero compare against an XJ, FJ80, or a Discovery?

I have owned 2 FJ80's and an XJ. My buddy across the street has owned 8 Disco's and says they are a love hate relationship. First thing you need to know about a disco is they all leak oil. The head gasket needs to be replaced every 80K miles or so. Over the last 15 years all but one of his disco's has left him stranded at one time or an other and he is not a heavy off-roader. He usually gets stranded on the freeway. The head lets go with out any warning. He has also had electrical, transmission and a catastrophic tcase failure on the freeway. A few months ago he sold his last disco and he is happy to be disco free. It was an amazing one of a kind 2 door with a pickup bed. This was the only disco that never failed him. This rig had an amazing custom built roof top tent.

6311301158_cf17947e6d_z.jpg
6311301130_90ca6591d0_z.jpg

It's easiest easiest for me to compare the FJ80 to the Montero. I have owned 2 of each. Both of my FJ80 were 1996 model years. the second one had the lockers, 3" OME lift, 33" tires, Safari snorkel and several other goodies. While it was very capable offroad I had several complaints. Fuel mileage is 13-14mpg and it does not matter if you are in the city or on the open road. The rig is very under powered and the tranny is not very refined when compared to the Montero. The other major complaint I had was with leg room. The Montero has lots more leg room and head room in all 3 rows. I am about 6'8" and I can sit comfortable in the second row of a Montero with the front seats all the way back. My 7 year old struggled to sit comfortable in the second row of our FJ80 with the front seats all the way back. As far as cargo space is concerned, I think the Montero has a bit more room inside, but I could be wrong. Another thing to consider is while the Montero is an IFS, it is more robust than the Toyota solid axle. I would not hesitate to run 37" tires and a front locker on the Montero's IFS. It is a very stout and over built IFS. The Montero's 9.5 rear is much stronger than the 8" rear found on the FJ80. The other thing that annoyed my about the FJ80 is there are no cup holders, not one in the entire vehicle. Heated leather was never offered, it only has one power outlet, while the Montero has 3 power outlets. The FJ80's spare is mounted under the rig and acts like a huge anchor when offroading. So plan on having to pay an addition $2000 to address this issue on the FJ80. THe Montero's spare just mounts to the rear door and oversized spares fit just fine on the Monteros rear door. The other major difference between the two is the tcase. The Montero offers a 2wd, AWD, 4hi and 4lo. The FJ80 only offers AWD, 4hi and 4lo. The FJ80 does not offer 2wd high and the 1994-1997 model years while the larger engine and lockers can not be modified for a 2wd mode. Don't get me wrong, the FJ80's are great rigs, and they can be modified to to overcome most of there short comings, but it would be much cheaper to do an SAS to a montero, than modify an FJ80 to over come all it deficiencies and the Montero would still get 6-7 better mpg. Those mods to the FJ80 would include a rear bumper and tire carrier, gearing solutions for both front and rear axles, a custom built tranny and torque converter, aftermarket heated seats, etc. All of this can easily add up to $8-10K. Don't get me wrong, I think the FJ80 is a great platform, but if you can get past the idea that the Montero has IFS you will be shocked how great these rigs are. Here is a pic of my last FJ80, it's kinda hiding behind my truck.

6447539517_2f9e23eb2f_z.jpg

The XJ is kind of a difficult comparison. The XJ is not very refined, it's parts like the axles are only big enough for mild mods, it squeaks, rattles and rides rough. The doors are paper thin, the engine is powerful, yet noisy. The tranny shifts rough, the AWD mode is worthless because of torque steer. The three great and redeeming qualities are the 4.0L, the coil sprung solid front axle, and there durability. Out of the box a Montero with a rear locker will run circles around the XJ.

skids

Observer
This is my 2.5 model Pajero(imported to the UK)
It's 3.5 GDI petrol, with rear locker, tiptronc gearbox and a bonus of seven seats.
It has had a 2" lift and running on 285/75/16 BFG muds.
75EE9677.jpg

6B5C6B8C.jpg

61590584.jpg

3B0B585A.jpg

off-roader

Expedition Leader
The gen 2.5 also has blister fenders. The gen 2 had plastic fender flares on the SR models.
Depending on your 4x4 needs, either has benefits. For example I do rock crawl my Montero. For me, the plastic Fender Flares are definitely better since they can deform and snap back into shape more easily over a metal fender. If you intend to focus on overlanding then this may not be as big a benefit for you.

The other major difference was the 4.27 gearing found on the gen 2.5. The gen 2 had 4.63 gearing.
For me this is a huge factor since installing new gears is not a simple endeavor unless you're willing to pay someone to do it for you. That said, even though my 4.63's with the DOHC engine are good enough to turn my 35's I'll eventually be upgrading to 4.9's in the not so distant future.

Like anything else, what choice you make really depends on your driving needs.

As for Land Rovers, my brother in law who's from Scotland and is a UK trained mechanic advised me that if I purchased one, I'd be on my own when it broke down. That's how unreliable they are in comparison to most other 4x4's.

Soviet Joy

This is an awesome write-up. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

Okay, I'm pretty much sold on the full-sized Montero. Do all models of this come with lockers? And if I fold down the rear seats inside the Montero, is there enough room for a six foot tall guy to lay down comfortably?

I have owned 2 FJ80's and an XJ. My buddy across the street has owned 8 Disco's and says they are a love hate relationship. First thing you need to know about a disco is they all leak oil. The head gasket needs to be replaced every 80K miles or so. Over the last 15 years all but one of his disco's has left him stranded at one time or an other and he is not a heavy off-roader. He usually gets stranded on the freeway. The head lets go with out any warning. He has also had electrical, transmission and a catastrophic tcase failure on the freeway. A few months ago he sold his last disco and he is happy to be disco free. It was an amazing one of a kind 2 door with a pickup bed. This was the only disco that never failed him. This rig had an amazing custom built roof top tent.

View attachment 99734
View attachment 99735

It's easiest easiest for me to compare the FJ80 to the Montero. I have owned 2 of each. Both of my FJ80 were 1996 model years. the second one had the lockers, 3" OME lift, 33" tires, Safari snorkel and several other goodies. While it was very capable offroad I had several complaints. Fuel mileage is 13-14mpg and it does not matter if you are in the city or on the open road. The rig is very under powered and the tranny is not very refined when compared to the Montero. The other major complaint I had was with leg room. The Montero has lots more leg room and head room in all 3 rows. I am about 6'8" and I can sit comfortable in the second row of a Montero with the front seats all the way back. My 7 year old struggled to sit comfortable in the second row of our FJ80 with the front seats all the way back. As far as cargo space is concerned, I think the Montero has a bit more room inside, but I could be wrong. Another thing to consider is while the Montero is an IFS, it is more robust than the Toyota solid axle. I would not hesitate to run 37" tires and a front locker on the Montero's IFS. It is a very stout and over built IFS. The Montero's 9.5 rear is much stronger than the 8" rear found on the FJ80. The other thing that annoyed my about the FJ80 is there are no cup holders, not one in the entire vehicle. Heated leather was never offered, it only has one power outlet, while the Montero has 3 power outlets. The FJ80's spare is mounted under the rig and acts like a huge anchor when offroading. So plan on having to pay an addition $2000 to address this issue on the FJ80. THe Montero's spare just mounts to the rear door and oversized spares fit just fine on the Monteros rear door. The other major difference between the two is the tcase. The Montero offers a 2wd, AWD, 4hi and 4lo. The FJ80 only offers AWD, 4hi and 4lo. The FJ80 does not offer 2wd high and the 1994-1997 model years while the larger engine and lockers can not be modified for a 2wd mode. Don't get me wrong, the FJ80's are great rigs, and they can be modified to to overcome most of there short comings, but it would be much cheaper to do an SAS to a montero, than modify an FJ80 to over come all it deficiencies and the Montero would still get 6-7 better mpg. Those mods to the FJ80 would include a rear bumper and tire carrier, gearing solutions for both front and rear axles, a custom built tranny and torque converter, aftermarket heated seats, etc. All of this can easily add up to $8-10K. Don't get me wrong, I think the FJ80 is a great platform, but if you can get past the idea that the Montero has IFS you will be shocked how great these rigs are. Here is a pic of my last FJ80, it's kinda hiding behind my truck.

View attachment 99742

The XJ is kind of a difficult comparison. The XJ is not very refined, it's parts like the axles are only big enough for mild mods, it squeaks, rattles and rides rough. The doors are paper thin, the engine is powerful, yet noisy. The tranny shifts rough, the AWD mode is worthless because of torque steer. The three great and redeeming qualities are the 4.0L, the coil sprung solid front axle, and there durability. Out of the box a Montero with a rear locker will run circles around the XJ.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Do all models of this come with lockers?
LS models came with a Limited Slip Differential
94-97 SR models all came with a locking rear differential
98-00 models w/ the winter package option (heated front seats, etc.) came with a locking rear diff.

And if I fold down the rear seats inside the Montero, is there enough room for a six foot tall guy to lay down comfortably?
Possibly in a Gen II. I installed a folding full length bed from the front seats back so I can check for you when I get home and post up results.

Don't ask me how but it is possible lay down the seats so that they form a bed. It's not the greatest, but its better than nothing Another real good option is a roof top tent. I have a RTT mounted on my Montero and it comfortably sleeps 4-5. Here is a pic of my RTT mounted on my 1991 Montero. Here is a pic of the seats laid down on a gen 3 montero. The gen 2 is very similar.

6118146651_dbd3f49277_z.jpg
6118692430_7e01b9bd3b_z.jpg
2006-mitsubishi-montero-3_460x0w.jpg

Bdiddy11

Adventurer
Soviet, I was told to look for the orange sticker on the driver side signifying a locker.

5Nf5M45Je3kf3L33H1c5101c0560d9ce9159d.jpg

Skids, any idea what it'd cost to get some of the clear corners shipped to the states? Love the look of em' on a 2.5 gen.

I think you could possibly get a decent padding set up with just folding down the back row and third row and sleep diagonally...

skids

Observer
Putting the seats down and sleeping is not a problem, I'm 6'2 and me and my boy have done it.

skids

Observer
Correct the sticker does imply there is a locker fitted, and the switch should be at the bottom of the centre consol.
Bididdy11, I can check the price of the units, the cost of the shipping you can check your end.

scrubber3

Not really here
Putting the seats down and sleeping is not a problem, I'm 6'2 and me and my boy have done it.
6'4" 220lbs with a great dane and we fit fine so long as we are raised up enough to clear the folded down seats. I have two storage bins I use in conjunction with an air mattress and voila....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles