Tacoma Options Question

Storz

Explorer
Toyota's website isn't clear on this, but is/was the 2nd gen ever offered in double cab, manual transmission, 4x4 and with the 4 cylinder motor?

Thanks!

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
It's all relative, I suppose. I drive a 22RE with a camper on it so I would find the 2.7 to be very powerful. For most international auto markets, the 2.7 is a substantial engine and a force to be reckoned with.

Clutch

<---Pass
It's all relative, I suppose. I drive a 22RE with a camper on it so I would find the 2.7 to be very powerful. For most international auto markets, the 2.7 is a substantial engine and a force to be reckoned with.

Yeah, you're right it is relative, I have owned two 22RE Toyota vehicles, and they were dogs...my Tacoma with the 3.4 seems, errr (ha ha) actually it is slow as well. I do like the 3.5 in our Isuzu Trooper, seems just about right for that size vehicle..horsepower is around 230+/-, not sure the torque is offhand. It just chugs along without much effort...I don't like to have "force" a vehicle up over mountain passes, just want to point and shoot if you know what I mean...

My Tacoma would have just the right amount of power to weight ratio if I tossed on a super charger...

I just don't see the advantage of doing all that work to still have an underpowered vehicle that can't get out of its' own way.

I also own a 40 hp VW Westy. While charming, not exactly thrilling, and not something I want to travel cross country in. Ok for running around town...but even then...

The 2.7, a force to be reckoned with...I don't think so...I test drove a Tacoma that motor...not impressed. Maybe if you tossed on a small turbo and bumped the hp/tq in the 250-300 range, then maybe you have something.

Storz

Explorer
I would actually be ok with the 2wd version if it were not for wanting to drive on the beaches here in NC. Other than that one place 2wd would work for me.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Clutch

<---Pass
I would actually be ok with the 2wd version if it were not for wanting to drive on the beaches here in NC. Other than that one place 2wd would work for me.

A locker, aired down tires and you'll be fine. If you get stuck just toss some water under the rear tires to compact the sand (or carry sand ladders) We have plenty of sand washes here...I run them in 2WD, just have to keep your speed up and be aware how you park...always park on with the front end heading downhill.

Storz

Explorer
A locker, aired down tires and you'll be fine. If you get stuck just toss some water under the rear tires to compact the sand (or carry sand ladders) We have plenty of sand washes here...I run them in 2WD, just have to keep your speed up and be aware how you park...always park on with the front end heading downhill.

I wish that were true, the beaches in the OBX are pretty soft and speeds are slow. I've seen plenty of 4wd vehicles stuck out there lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier