"Old Man's Toy" offroad teardrop trailer

JandDGreens

Adventurer
Love the work and design of your build. I know how life sometimes gets in the way of progress. Way to stay with it! I have been plugging away on mine for a year now. I have been working less on it this summer due to work and wanting to wheel AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE this season. I hope to have mine road worthy by spring. I would love to do a shake-down run. (plan on doing Slaughter House Gulch Probably will be winching up the main hill) I wish I would have seen your build first done my suspension differantly. I just went with 3,500 trailer leaf springs. I am concerned with how it will do on wash-board type of roads.

old_man

Adventurer
Too bad you aren't done. I am doing the White Rim Trail in Moab, Sunday though Wednesday of Thanksgiving week. I hope to post up some awesome pix.

I would love to see what you are doing. I might be able to share some sources and tips. I'm also an XJ guru. You aren't that far away. Where in Colorado are you? I'm in northern Colorado.

JandDGreens

Adventurer
That might help?
I did not want to have to worry about it swaying due to too much flex in the springs so I went with leaf springs that are a little over kill. I have a small equipment trailer that I tow for mowing yards. And it tows exceptionally well. The suspension will be almost identical.

I do wonder if it is a problem, that I can try shocks. We'll see.

Last edited:

JandDGreens

Adventurer
Too bad you aren't done. I am doing the White Rim Trail in Moab, Sunday though Wednesday of Thanksgiving week. I hope to post up some awesome pix.

I would love to see what you are doing. I might be able to share some sources and tips. I'm also an XJ guru. You aren't that far away. Where in Colorado are you? I'm in northern Colorado.
I am planning on doing an overland type of trip when the trailer is usable.
I'm in south Denver (Englewood) just off 285 (Hampden/Broadway).

old_man

Adventurer
Since you are an XJ guy, check out naxja.org. We are having a meet and greet in Commerce City complete with food and an raffle on the 5th IIRC.
I should be there with the trailer.

JandDGreens

Adventurer
NAXJA Meet & Greet, Crawlertech & Hooligan Open House!

Yeah a guy posted that on Front Range 4X4, If I'm not working that day I'll probably go to it.

jonb8

Adventurer
I like your box tubing bender...LOL I spent alot of time deciding if I should go with a metal box or wood. Wood ended up winning because of getting a bender built and getting the right angles out of it. Great job and I hope to get out west once the teardrop is done, at least that's the plan...

old_man

Adventurer
If you ever in Colorado, check in. Maybe we can do a short trip together or at least share a microbrew.

JandDGreens

Adventurer
Hey Tom, it was nice to met you. I believe you have a great little trailer, Probably the best suspension a person can put under a trailer. I wish I was done with mine. It would be great to join you in Moab. It is my goal to take a trip to Ouray for a couple days then to Moab in the spring/summer months.

What a great time at the open house. I can't believe I won the stiffeners. I will be saving my pennies to buy the XJ cross member/ transfer case skid plate in the future.

BadMonkeyBeef

Just to finish this off how about some, and I know people and things that touch an XJ are never truly done, some walk around Pics. And a things if any, you would do different. Also did you or do you think brakes on a trailer are needed?

old_man

Adventurer
99.99% done. I have yet to add the gasoline fired heater.

DSC_0040-X2.jpg

DSC_0043-XL.jpg

DSC_0047-XL.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94