Unimog pricing in Germany?

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Anyone here in Germany that can help me get an idea of what a Unimog radio van may cost here? I found one in a Junkyard and would like to talk to the folks to see if they would sell it but I don't know what to expect? Being an American we sometimes get "overcharged" for stuff that locals would pay much less for... mostly due to us not knowing any better. I have no idea if this thing even works or how complete it is but it looks like its been sitting for years? Any help or advice would be awesome! Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0356.JPG
    IMG_0356.JPG
    373 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0355.JPG
    IMG_0355.JPG
    412 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0354.JPG
    IMG_0354.JPG
    404 KB · Views: 8

Vtunimog

Anyone here in Germany that can help me get an idea of what a Unimog radio van may cost here? I found one in a Junkyard and would like to talk to the folks to see if they would sell it but I don't know what to expect? Being an American we sometimes get "overcharged" for stuff that locals would pay much less for... mostly due to us not knowing any better. I have no idea if this thing even works or how complete it is but it looks like its been sitting for years? Any help or advice would be awesome! Thanks!

Not in Germany but I bring in a dozen or so Unimogs into the US each year and the old 404's are not cheap any longer in Europe. Most stocks are long ago depleted and sold off from various government bodies. What is left is one of two catagories - clean restored/original which means a local price of 7-9k Euro and the other being well used Or neglected Often between 1500-3500 Add shipping and import costs and even the most beat unimog is 5k USD. The older 404 models are great low priced option for a unimog but for longer haul trips they can be a uncomfortable. My general advice is a 404 is cold in winter, hot in summer, noisy as a freight train, comfortable as an unsprung buckboard But more fun than you will ever have with anything else for the money

762X39

Explorer
My general advice is a 404 is cold in winter, hot in summer, noisy as a freight train, comfortable as an unsprung buckboard But more fun than you will ever have with anything else for the money
Can't say it any better than that although I have never been uncomfortable in my Mog nor have I felt the suspension to be that bad .:coffee:

Vtunimog

I guess it depends on the truck and conditions. My hard top isn't that bad most of the time. My soft top is really best with the doors off . Many people in Europe will do extended trips in their 404's with out complaint.

But I have been spoiled by driving later model MBU/SBU models

polaramike

Hi!

There is a German equivalent to the DRMO called the VEBEG. They sell all the surplus stuff of the German army, fire depts, civil defense, road mgmt etc. and they have Mogs from time to time. But be aware that the same rules apply as with DRMO: Condition varies and often, it's rather worn out stuff. They also have the more modern, orange colored Mpgs of the road maint - these seem to be in much better shape most of the time.

Check out http://www.vebeg.de/

If you're not into bidding, don't want to buy a "cat in the sack" (something where you don't really know what you'll get) or don't want to deal with officials who might not be too willing to deal with someone not speaking German in one or the other case, you're better off buying from one of the military vehicle dealers over here. There are a handful of them with good reputation and good quality. Most of them also have a list of for sale vehicles with prices on theiw web site. Check out these two as an example:

http://www.military-vehicles.de/

http://www.padh.de/

There are moree companies like these, some smaller, some more specialized etc. - too many to list. I guess you'll get an ideal on their sites.

Godd luck,

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles