Bug Out Vehicle

Guys, name some scenarios where evacuating your city would be ideal versus staying put. And then, please, explain why it would be necessary to 'head for the hills'?

clandr1

Adventurer
Guys, name some scenarios where evacuating your city would be ideal versus staying put. And then, please, explain why it would be necessary to 'head for the hills'?

Foreign army invasion, hurricane, flooding, terrorist attack (biological, nuclear) that could have consequences for those who don't evac to another area.

If anyones plan is to "head for the hills" they are in for a rude awakening. If you are bugging out, you better have a destination in mind that is owned by you, family, or very close friends with whom you have a prior arrangement. Getting in the truck and heading for the nearest state park is probably not going to end well.

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Leaving the big city,or?

In all metropolitan areas after a SHTF scenario the limiting factors are, water, food, fuel, shelter and medical services. One would think more individuals would consider if power is cut in that metro area there will be no water to drink, flush the crapper or wash with, no power for fridge, freezer, ac, medical devices, that big *** flat screen and all the other toys that require electrical power. Lets look at the food warehouses there is perhaps 3 to 5 days worth of food to supply any given metro area that quickly becomes an issue. Those of you who have participated in the pacification process know the tricks and can use em to your advantage.

There are unlimited scenarios they all end the same way "most American citizens become victims" its not that you didn't prepare hell you are at work (20 miles away from home) your children are at school (taken usually by bus over a great distance) your wife is at home and you don't know if your home is even there anymore. If you have a bug out pack in your vehicle and can get to it you have more chance than most to get home most probably by foot and then try and find your loved ones.

Next, you the law abiding citizen are armed when LEO's from your AO or other states via emergency management assistance compact arrive and some AH decides its a good idea to disarm the private citizens and not provide food, water or other items needed to survive, this gives rise to the question what will you do?

In most if not all scenarios ownership is determined by "can you or whomever defend whatever property it is and for how long" be it land, water source, food, sanitary items, shelter, medical supplies, fuel, vehicles in a real bad situation enveloping large areas even your female companion, wife or daughter can quickly become a target for the slave sex trade servicing the enemy.

A bug out plan for you and your loved ones to include rally points and times then on to the next rally point if the one you had picked first becomes too dangerous it becomes something regimented as second nature.

In desperate times good people do desperate things even horrific things to survive. What would be deemed unlawful or illegal in most societies during normal times gets thrown out the door, reality is during normal times you obey because of the force or threat thereof by the para-military entities of any given municipality. In a SHTF scenario you'll make the rules if your armed and prepared to do the unthinkable to defend against any potential enemy, yes, even your neighbor can become an enemy to get whatever it is they need.

Like I've said before "I'm ole school and know what works and what doesn't for I can quickly become the meanest in the valley".

bugnout

Adventurer
Well I can think of a couple, but its really an exercise each person needs to do based on where you live.

- I live about 75 miles and downwind from a nuclear power plant. Time to leave is at the first sign of trouble.
- If there was an epidemic in my region, I would consider bugging out, not sure what the catalyst would be, but once they start closing schools and businesses, I'm not
going into the office anyway, might as well get out of dodge.
- Long term power outage in this area. If we lost power for months, I'd probably relocate.

In my area these are the most likely disasters that I would consider bugging out for. In your area, you might consider;
-flooding following huricane, dam failure or excessive rain,
-earthquake interuption of critcal services like water, gas and electric.
-Drought and crop failure, but if your prepared, probably easier to stay.

You want to prepare for the most likely scenarios for your situation.

Last edited:

robert

Expedition Leader
Well I can think of a couple, but its really an exercise each person needs to do based on where you live.

- I live about 75 miles and downwind from a nuclear power plant. Time to leave is at the first sign of trouble.
- If there was an epidemic in my region, I would consider bugging out, not sure what the catalyst would be, but once they start closing schools and businesses, I'm not
going into the office anyway, might as well get out of dodge.
- Long term power outage in this area. If we lost power for months, I'd probably relocate.

In my area these are the most likely disasters that I would consider bugging out for. In your area, you might consider;
-flooding following huricane, dam failure or excessive rain,
-earthquake interuption of critcal services like water, gas and electric.
-Drought and crop failure, but if your prepared, probably easier to stay.

You want to prepare for the most likely scenarios for your situation.

This; the zombies and Red Dawn fantasies are usually just fun ways to spin what can be a depressing subject (and then there are the folks who do take them seriously). I'll give you another example though- my folks live a couple of miles from two major highways and a railroad. Highly unlikely, but the possibility is there of having to leave due to an accident. The idea of running to the hills is pretty silly though as plenty of folks will have the same idea and there is neither the resources nor the public lands to support most of them- not that most would know what to do onc they got there anyways.

Quill

Adventurer
I think you guys need to buy a half track. As for myself, someday I would like to buy a Deuce and half, bob the back axle for an heavy duty 4x4.

762X39

Explorer
My bug out plan(and I do have a fueled Unimog in the driveway) is to survive in place and make sure everyone on my street is ok (including the ************** I don't like). I would rather survive as a community with everyone pitching in and contributing skills that they possess. When our power went out a few years ago (the hydro operators in Ohio screwed up and caused a cascade but I digress) the first thing we did was make sure everyone on our street was ok.We did the same thing when a tornado blew through our vacation home (lost power for several days then too). After that we drove to my inlaws and had a nice barbeque. Because we always store our water containers and fuel containers full, nothing was an issue.Our pantry is stocked to overflowing and the freezer is full of meat. A dead freezer will keep meat for a few days if you don't keep opening the damn lid and my trucks have 1kw inverters in them so I can keep the cold on that way. It must be the way my dad brought me up and my military training that makes me want to make sure all of us make it out the other side of a catastrophic event.:coffee:

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
My bug out plan(and I do have a fueled Unimog in the driveway) is to survive in place and make sure everyone on my street is ok (including the ************** I don't like). I would rather survive as a community with everyone pitching in and contributing skills that they possess. When our power went out a few years ago (the hydro operators in Ohio screwed up and caused a cascade but I digress) the first thing we did was make sure everyone on our street was ok.We did the same thing when a tornado blew through our vacation home (lost power for several days then too). After that we drove to my inlaws and had a nice barbeque. Because we always store our water containers and fuel containers full, nothing was an issue.Our pantry is stocked to overflowing and the freezer is full of meat. A dead freezer will keep meat for a few days if you don't keep opening the damn lid and my trucks have 1kw inverters in them so I can keep the cold on that way. It must be the way my dad brought me up and my military training that makes me want to make sure all of us make it out the other side of a catastrophic event.:coffee:

And those are the ones that will survive SHTF scenarios. Safety and strength in numbers.

Natural disasters are the most common reasons we have for evac scenarios. Zombies and WW3 might both sound ridiculous, but have you seen Dawn of the Living Dead? I'm sorry I had to throw that there. Anyone just heading for the hills better be willing to learn, work, and share with the hill folk that are already there. Staying together as a community is a great idea and the first choice that should be considered. That of course is dependent on where you live and what kinda situation your in.

Talking about an enemy invading US Sovereign soil get to the nearest relative or friends house thats out of the city and stay out of the way of our Military. COB's (Civilians on the Battlefield) severely limit the effectiveness of our Military. To think that this is an impossible scenario and not take it into consideration would be foolish. However, it would be wise to go about it properly. Not thinking that it would be like call of duty or something. The first things to go in these situations are very similar to natural disasters. Power, communication, fuel, food, water, and other basic supplies get stopped completely with no one knowing when they are coming back. Your best source of what's going on would be Radio, NOAA, and HAM in particular. If that's jammed you'd better get the hell out of dodge if/while you can. The big difference in a War zone is when things do come back they are severely limited. This is actually an area 3rd world countries have the upper hand. Basically everything they need to survive can be grown and harvested locally. You might could get away with it in a suburb, but in huge city there's not enough natural resources to provide for everyone. Just something to think about.
As for the guy who mentioned that this kinda planning was a reoccurring cycle, I'd have to disagree. I don't think the cycle ever stops it gets passed down the line where I'm from.
In all seriousness though the best advice I've read in here so far was about knowing how to handle the little things like infection, cuts and so forth. If we look back over history for examples of bug out run for the hills situations there are plenty. The recent Nuclear disaster in Japan was 1/10th the size of Chernobyl and people up to what 15 mi had to evacuate. At Chernobyl how many people were told they would never see their homes again? During Hurricane Katrina there were literally buss loads of people who were put on busses and sent to different cities. Not to mention those that came back to find their homes demolished. I've talked to quite a few people that said they just wished they had been better prepared. Some of them just wished they had thought to pack some of their family photo albums, or a special heirloom. They left it thinking it'd be there when they got back.

To sum it all up I've never heard a person say they wished they weren't prepared so well.

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Talking about an enemy invading US Sovereign soil get to the nearest relative or friends house thats out of the city and stay out of the way of our Military. COB's (Civilians on the Battlefield) severely limit the effectiveness of our Military. .

Interesting use of the phrase "our military" considering the talking heads like Leon Panetta lately being very adamant the U.S. military no longer needs approval of congress to conduct any military/pacification operations within sovereign nations only the approval of the UNITED NATIONS is required, (REF; UNITED NATIONS Participation Treaty signed by H.S. Truman DEC. 1946 stripping the U.S. Congress of its constituted authority to declare war).
SEE: http://avalon.law.yale.edu/20th_century/decad031.asp

Now one must consider yet another SHTF scenario; how to react or respond to a popular uprising of private American citizens?

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about Our Military turning on us. I know I wouldn't have followed any such order while I was still in. As for the talking heads I wouldn't say don't pay any attention to them, but understand that they are high paid idiots, and if push comes to shove they will see that Our Military isn't willing to say how high when they say jump in regards to their fellow Americans.

kfgk14

Adventurer
While I don't need to bug out on account of living in the difficult-to-find part of the *** end of nowhere, I developed an interest in expo travel because of my consideration of how I'd bug out.
In most cases, a dual-sport bike is the way to go if you're alone, the older the better (you want a kick-start bike if they can be had). If you have to bring the family, a Ford Bronco/K5 Blazer/IH Scout would be an ideal rig, the older (and consequently less electronic) the better. If you had an older crew-cab truck that too would serve the purpose, especially if you need additional bed space. Doka Unimog or Pinzgauer would also work if you had more people to move.
The BOV concept isn't necessarily to get you to a specific location-in my mind you should go to you BOL when you see warning signs that things are getting bad, not after they've gotten bad. The BOV, in my opinion, is designed to GOOD (get out of dodge) when your bug out location (BOL) is no longer habitable/under attack/etc. It needs to be a platform that is fast (a dual sport bike going sixty is a damn near impossible target) and can go over the worst terrain in your BOL and the area around it. A Ford SVT Raptor might be a good choice for a family living in the desert. If you're in the swamps of Florida, a 15' aluminum-hull boat or a few jet skis might be an equally good choice.

crazyeyez

Crazy EyeZ
Unless you live in the desert or your BOV is amphibious, you are going to be stuck the first time you get to a bridge that's either down or closed to traffic.

The best BOV is your house. You can store years worth of supplies there and you don't have to worry about clogged roads. ;)

Bert from Tremors, anyone? :lol:

I wouldn't worry about Our Military turning on us. I know I wouldn't have followed any such order while I was still in. As for the talking heads I wouldn't say don't pay any attention to them, but understand that they are high paid idiots, and if push comes to shove they will see that Our Military isn't willing to say how high when they say jump in regards to their fellow Americans.

being in the Army myself, i'd probably walk away from base if that happened. i really dont think i'd turn on US citizians, unless **** was really turning bad... i dunno, but not likely.

also, all this BOV talk, and i found this today while searching for something else...
2012-Jeep-Wrangler-Recon-JK8-front-three-quarter-motion-1024x640.jpg

.50 cal on the roof and what looks like a m249 on the pass side fender

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles